Considering Crunchyroll Subscription - Recommendations??

• Apparently Crunchyroll is $6.95CAD/mo and considering I don't have Netflix, Apple Music, PS+, or any other subscription service, I may be able to justify it. I grew up watching Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon season 1-3, Yu Gi Oh, and I've watched anime films like Ghost in the Shell, Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Howl's Moving Castle, Totoro, Akira, and more, but never many anime TV shows.

I love DBZ and early Pokemon dearly to this day but I've never gotten into anime really. I'd never see my adult self watching something like Yu Gi Oh ever again. Any ideas of where I should begin? I want to listen to EZ Anime episodes so I think I'll start with Jo Jo, but I'm truly down for anything. 15 days are free so I may try a few. Also, if you know of something better and more FREE than Crunchyroll, lemme know. It just seems reliable like a Netflix for anime.

If it helps you recommend me something, I honestly prefer the original Dragon Ball series to Dragon Ball Z because of how cute kid Goku is and how it has more adventure plots, humour, and a slightly more lighthearted nature than the excessive fighting in DBZ.

Again (if it helps), some recent story oriented Japanese video game series I love include:

• Dark Souls
    • Bloodborne
    • Persona
    • Yakuza
    • Nier Automata
    • Valkyria Chronicles
    • Metal Gear
    • Resident Evil
    • Final Fantasy

Thanks in advance everybody :)

• @GoTaco I never personally used Crunchyroll longer than a month, but I have to admit not being as in love with anime as a lot of the other allies. One thing I gotta point out is that the service has Cowboy Bebop which you didn't list as something you watched, so I'll recommend it. 26 episodes, so it doesn't take forever but its style and grace feels like it has touched many forms of art after its release. Persona definitely owes a lot of its flash to Bebop. Really strong storytelling, amazing characters, a decent amount of humor, and a legendary soundtrack.

• Unless you need to watch stuff in 1080p and want everything ASAP and without ads, you don't really need a subscription.
    There is also Daisuki.net, it's another official website but has a rather small selection, but it includes a simulcast of Dragon Ball Super for free.

• Crunchyroll works well enough, but most of what I presently watch is on other things I already pay for so I haven't used it in quite some time.

And an issue I regularly had a few years back is whenever a simulcast episode came out Like Sword Art Online Season 2 or Durararax2 the whole site would be lagging so badly that it rendered the shows unwatchable.

Perhaps it's better now, I'm not sure.

As for what to watch, well here's some of my personal favs, some are on crunchyroll, some are widely available on Hulu/Netflix or just straight up youtube:

• Yu Yu Hakusho

• Outlaw Star

• Trigun

• Cowboy Bebop

• Samurai Champloo

• Durarara

• Hajime No Ippo (At the time the first two arcs are on youtube, it's hard to watch reliably, the last arc is on crunchyroll)

• Log Horizon (Think Sword art, but better.)

• Rurouni Kenshin (There's two dubs out there, one good...one atrocious. Sony's 2006 dub is bloody awful, look for Media Blaster's version from 1996 which is on Netflix)

• Monster Musume (If you're into Harem animes, it's very softcore ecchi and censored, but it was pretty funny to watch)

• Bloodlad

• One Punch Man

• Persona 4 The Animation (There's a golden version but it's more abridged and focuses on marie whereas the original covered the breadth of the original game)

That's just off the top of my head.

• You can pretty much watch everything on crunchyroll for free if the money is an issue

Stuff I recommend that's on Crunchyroll:

Akame Ga Kill
    Attack on Titan
    Durarara
    Food Wars
    Humanity Has Declined
    My Hero Academia
    MY Love Story
    Parasyte
    Please Tell Me Galko Chan
    Squid Girl
    Toradora

• Crunchyroll is my life blood. I watch pretty much all my anime on there.

Some shows I would suggest. (In order of their appearance in my queue.)

Attack on Titan
    Kill la Kill
    Hamatora
    Naruto
    Naruto Shippuden
    Food Wars!
    Durarara!
    Haikyuu!!
    Erased
    Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
    Bungo Stray Dogs
    Mob Psycho 100
    Lupin the Third (All Parts)
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    No. 6
    Natsume Yuujinchou (All Seasons)
    Assassination Classroom
    Samurai Champloo
    Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
    ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Dept.

That's like half of what's in my queue but it's what I think you might enjoy. And most of them are good for people who are just getting in to anime. Except Kill la Kill. It was my first anime and it's a little hard to get used to.

• Please be aware that what you can watch there is based on where you live, like I live in germany and can't watch Kill La Kill (without proxy) for example.

• It's weird you all say mostly everything is free because I clicked on so many random shows and they had the little Premium crown next to it.

I'm also hilariously pleased to know there is an anime genre of Harem, aha.

Not even sure where to start but between weekends off and some weeknight boredom as of late, I'm gonna do a few at once.

• Food wars. Yes it's a bit ecchi, but I love iron chef and I love the shonen battle style of the cook offs and preparation. (Also, they give enough info so that it's possible to make most of the recipes).

Third season starts next month and season 2 was a little cramped, but still looking forward to it.

• @TokyoSlim Food Wars is a perfect representation of why I think anime is great, there's simply no other way something so silly could have worked.

• @bard91 I can attest to the fact that I've recently watched several live action movies that have attempted similar things, but none have been as good. :)

• Global Moderator

It's been said, but seriously, ERASED

• @Ruaidhri18 It's a masterpiece.

• I didn't realize Crunchyroll had a "free" version of it, so I decided I'd take it for a spin the other day.

After watching the hype intro for Samurai Champloo, I was treated to close to 5 minutes of ads. I noticed the rest of the video was set to play 3 more blocks of ads, I yelled at my computer screen, and quickly closed my browser. Whoever has the patience to sit through that many ads, I really commend you.

• @SabotageTheTruth My suggestion is to use some Youtuber's code and get a free month. Keep doing this until you feel confident getting your own subscription.

• @michemagius

they say time is money. I couldn't imagine a scenario where sifting through YouTubers for promo's is more valuable than just paying the $6 haha

• @GoTaco It's kind of a hassle, but it's kind of the only option for people who don't want ads and also don't want to commit to a subscription yet.

• @SabotageTheTruth I don't mind watching ads throughout the show, they usually aren't that long and don't bother me too much. What really makes me want to throw my phone across the room is when I am forced to watching the same terrible ad 5 times in a row (I'm looking at you Kahiki) during each of the commercial breaks. I can feel it slowly making me go insane. The absolute worst was when I chromecasted it to my TV and noticed I was treated with the same number of ads but it was a 90 second one over and over opposed to the 15-30 second ones when I wasn't. And don't get me started on how Crunchyroll throws a whole new set of ads at me when I go from watching on my phone to on chromecast mid episode for reasons. The hell I put myself through to save myself $7.

• @Tragosaurus said in Considering Crunchyroll Subscription - Recommendations??:

@SabotageTheTruth I don't mind watching ads throughout the show, they usually aren't that long and don't bother me too much. What really makes me want to throw my phone across the room is when I am forced to watching the same terrible ad 5 times in a row (I'm looking at you Kahiki) during each of the commercial breaks. I can feel it slowly making me go insane. The absolute worst was when I chromecasted it to my TV and noticed I was treated with the same number of ads but it was a 90 second one over and over opposed to the 15-30 second ones when I wasn't. And don't get me started on how Crunchyroll throws a whole new set of ads at me when I go from watching on my phone to on chromecast mid episode for reasons. The hell I put myself through to save myself $7.

Hulu is honestly worse, and they seem to throw MORE ads at you when you're watching anime or cartoons than any of their sponsored shows or regular TV.

I shamefully pay for the ad free package....I couldn't deal with it anymore. The awkward breaks were just too much and the ads were getting longer and longer.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.