Bethesda E3 2017 Discussion

• Where was the rumored new IP?

• I have to give this a D- at the highest solely due to paid mods. The only reason it isn't an F is because of Wolfenstein and Evil Within 2.

• Super hype for TEW2, but the trailer was awful imo. It, to me, didn't have a very good pace and it felt disconnected from the first game.

• Lol, I liked it. Wolfenstein looked like really weird, political Nazi-conquered 1970s America. It seems like the most interesting shooter story since the first Bioshock, hopefully it really goes whole hog and makes a statement instead of just having the issues around the periphery like a Far Cry game.

And Zelda skins whatever, but an alternate control mode (that's not just shouts thru Kinect) gives me a reason to play Skyrim again on Switch. I'll be interested to see what else is in since this version seems a little different, but it's a port at the end of the day.

Bethesda is a small publisher, and everything they mentioned is out seemingly before November, so I'm satisfied. Strange to launch two games in one month, but we'll hear about 2018's games next E3. Elder Scrolls is one of my favorite series period, but I knew not to expect that this year from Howard's comments last year and the publisher's proclivity toward short marketing cycles.

• Overall kinda boring, only 2 new games (3 depending on how you view Shyrim Switch) and paid mods...yay (Although that could be a way of getting mods with custom assests on PS4)
    But hot damn am I sold on TWE2 and Wolfen 2, and they come out a few weeks from one another, madness.
    You'll be crapping your pants one week, the on a adrenaline fuled Nazi kill fest the next.

• Every time a trailer started I was hoping for Todd Howard's new IP. I was really excited to see their new game. New IP 2018 second new IP 2019 or 2020 then Elderscrolls after 2020 sometime most likely.

• Having never played the first Evil Within and Wolfenstein, it made me put both of those on my list of games to get to.

I know that the overall feeling is that it was bland, and I tend to agree, but I think as a conference it was nice that they seem to acknowledge that the rest of the stuff going on wasn't much. They didn't spend too much time on any of the small stuff and they didn't stretch the conference to fit a hour, they just let it end after 40 minutes.

Yeah, still a weird showing, I like that they focus on getting everything out within the year, but I'd give it a 6/10.

• Too much talking, too much focus on games that already got released this year or last year, only two actual games (Cause I don't count VR, sorry, that's not a default gamer market), and I'm not sure if the dishonored thing was it's own game or just DLC, they didn't really say did they? EDIT- I see they have since put it on amazon to preorder as it's own release on disc, so ok 3 games, maybe 2 1/2.

But Wolfenstein is the only game I would've paid any attention to, was hoping for something doom related...ended up being for VR so meh.

Sad, but EA actually had more to show. Even though they let microsoft reveal possibly their biggest game.

• The Evil Within 2 redeemed what was otherwise a pointless press conference for me.

• Banned

"It's not paid mods. We're simply.....outsourcing.....our DLC."

alt text

• @Art After reading that, I am still confused whether or not the creation club stuff needs to be paid for.

• Banned

@Inustar

You're not paying for mods.
    You're paying for credits that you use to pay for mods.

alt text

• @Art well I think more correctly they are trying to differentiate between mods, which are the free fan made things and the Creation Club which is what you're talking about, higher quality things made by developers and such which will cost money.

• Banned

@Inustar said in Bethesda E3 2017 Discussion:

@Art higher quality things made by developers and such which will cost money.

DLC/Microtransactions

• You can oversimplify everything and scream 'DLC' and 'PAID MODS!!' all you will. However, it looks like the Content Club is mutually exclusive from the current modding system. Not only can old mods like Frostfall not be released through it, but the Club isn't affecting free mods in any way.

• @Art said in Bethesda E3 2017 Discussion:

DLC/Microtransactions

Yeah, exactly, for the Creation Club stuff, mod stuff is still free.
    It's too bad that bet about microtransactions wasn't picked in the betting special. Would have been easy points.

• Global Moderator

Im kinda happy now, reading the comments, that I didn't get up at 5 this morning to watch this!

• I wanna mention the Skyrim Switch edition because it was, in my opinion, the funniest part of the conference.

For starters, motion control. I feel bad for whoever had to take the time to implement that. I can't imagine it being anything other than clunky, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's only there to add another bullet point to the reasons why you should totally buy this edition of a six year old game.

There's also the Link amiibo implementation that turns the game into weird BotW DLC featuring Skyrim. It was the crème de la crème of unnecessary on an already unnecessary game.

The music, though, was the first thing to make me laugh. Now, I really like Passion Pit and think Take a Walk is a great song, but I'm confident that someone saw the title, didn't listen to it, but said, "hey, let's use this cuz 'mobile,' hehe!" It was a very unexpected song and really did not go with the rest of the conference or even its own ad.

So I thank you, Bethesda, for bringing some levity, no matter how unintentional it may have been.

• Switch screen taped to the inside of a bucket + put bucket on head + dual Joy-Con motion controls + HD rumble = Skyrim VR in our time.

alt text

• Also, anyone who is skilled enough can release content through the Creation Club program, and get money for making that content. So skilled modders who make content through this, can actually get a some money out of making that content, unlike traditional mods. Though one needs to first apply into the program, and even then, all content that is released through this is moderated, tested and possibly even fixed and localized by Bethesda. So I don't see this as a bad thing. New, higher quality content, that actually supports those who made them? That is actually curated, and made sure works fine? Though the whole Credits thing is unnecessary, unless one can earn said credits through gameplay or achievements or whatever, or other ways that does not involve you paying money.