Bethesda E3 2017 Discussion

• I wanna mention the Skyrim Switch edition because it was, in my opinion, the funniest part of the conference.

For starters, motion control. I feel bad for whoever had to take the time to implement that. I can't imagine it being anything other than clunky, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's only there to add another bullet point to the reasons why you should totally buy this edition of a six year old game.

There's also the Link amiibo implementation that turns the game into weird BotW DLC featuring Skyrim. It was the crème de la crème of unnecessary on an already unnecessary game.

The music, though, was the first thing to make me laugh. Now, I really like Passion Pit and think Take a Walk is a great song, but I'm confident that someone saw the title, didn't listen to it, but said, "hey, let's use this cuz 'mobile,' hehe!" It was a very unexpected song and really did not go with the rest of the conference or even its own ad.

So I thank you, Bethesda, for bringing some levity, no matter how unintentional it may have been.

• Switch screen taped to the inside of a bucket + put bucket on head + dual Joy-Con motion controls + HD rumble = Skyrim VR in our time.

alt text

• Also, anyone who is skilled enough can release content through the Creation Club program, and get money for making that content. So skilled modders who make content through this, can actually get a some money out of making that content, unlike traditional mods. Though one needs to first apply into the program, and even then, all content that is released through this is moderated, tested and possibly even fixed and localized by Bethesda. So I don't see this as a bad thing. New, higher quality content, that actually supports those who made them? That is actually curated, and made sure works fine? Though the whole Credits thing is unnecessary, unless one can earn said credits through gameplay or achievements or whatever, or other ways that does not involve you paying money.

• I was looking forward to it most. since last 2 years bethesda has been owning E3. but this year they didnot show a worthy game.

Wolfenstein 2 looks terrible and same as new order.

• @Black-Cell Why doesn't it look good to you? The New Order was fantastic. Along with Doom, Beth is really heralding the hardcore FPS revival.

• @El-Shmiablo said in Bethesda E3 2017 Discussion:

@Black-Cell Why doesn't it look good to you? The New Order was fantastic. Along with Doom, Beth is really heralding the hardcore FPS revival.

it looks same as new order which was imo a terrible game where cutscenes always interupt gameplay and was no where near as good as RTCW.

Doom is freakin masterpiece and new order is not even close to it.

Metro exodus Own the entire E3 imo.

• Now that I've had a night to sleep on it, I'm still shocked Bethesda had the show it did. Having a stage was kind of pointless and most of my predictions came true, but it feels hollow because there was so little to the show. This should have been just a video released online.

The VR segment was interesting, and I'm all about DOOM, but I'm concerned it may be too fast for VR. I hope it works well. As for Fallout 4, I see it as the second full "game" with Resident Evil: VII being the first. I'm curious to see how it does.

The Elder Scrolls Online, The Elder Scrolls Legends, and the Creations Club all were flops for me.

Skyrim on Switch would've been a bigger deal if it wasn't teased during the Switch reveal all the way back in October. And still no date...

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider was actually pretty cool. It's also a standalone $30 product, so an Uncharted: Lost Legacy situation?.... I don't care. Gimmie.

Quake Champions ESports trailer was another total miss especially with what felt like a tacked on B.J. Blazkowciz cameo.

Evil Within 2: Not for me. But WHAT A TRAILER.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus had a real lengthy spot at the end, and I'm excited to get it in only a few months! But it wasn't enough in the grand scope of things.

Overall, this felt like a 6/10, 3/5 show. And I can't believe I'm about to type this sentence:

I feel EA, however vvvveeeeerrrrryyyyyy slightly, did better.

• I appreciate that they didn't drag things along just to fill time, and they seem to only be showing stuff coming out soon, so that is also appreciated. I'm excited about New Colossus but other than that I would like to see something new from them.

• @Brannox I basically agree with this except lower the score two points cause of the terrible black and white e-sports Quake segment that dragged on.

I'll actually put Bethesda over EA, but only because The Evil Within 2 trailer was crazier than Death Stranding and the most intense trailer of E3 so far.

• I guess years of watching Nintendo Directs made me more a lot more receptive to this conference than others, I think it was great, it could have used maybe a more "demo" like presentation for the new games on stage, but overall I think they did a good job of presenting their products, and actually having everything with a release date for this year is impressive to me.

Paid mods is terrible though, and I feel like they purposefully made it confusing just so the reaction wasn't immediately negative, also they want to position it as more of an official DLC, but we all know it is still paid mods, and I feel like this time they'll get away with it because it is on consoles and I don't think there will be a lot of resistance to this in that community.

• Global Moderator

After reading peoples impressions of it, I am so happy that I slept through it instead of getting up at 4am! I will be up tonight for Sony though... as the fanboy I am

• I know a lot of people have said EA was better and Bethesda just shouldn't have had a press conference, but honestly, I was okay with Bethesda having a short conference this year. Think about it, they showed off a few different things in the same exact time that EA spent showcasing a boring match of Battlefront II that didn't really show many new features of the game and constantly kept cutting to shots of dead players.

Basically, EA made me feel dead inside like it usually does (even though it was a vast improvement over last year) and Bethesda had me feeling decent until that hype Evil Within 2 trailer dropped and that kinda crazy/poorly edited Wolfenstein trailer hit us.

I do think it was a bit strange for them to deviate from their previous two conferences though, where they took a big new game and blew it up to a massive level, showing off a lot of the new release. Fallout 4 was the first to receive this treatment and Dishonored 2 also got a lot of love last year. I thought that's what was going to happen with Wolfenstein too; the director of the game walking on stage, showing a bucketload of gameplay, and talking over it. I'd prefer that over made-up theme parks but I can't fault them too much for trying something different.

• I'm really excited to see that new Bethesda IP (I imagine it's not Fallout 5) at next year's E3, especially because I know we'll all be playing it four months after.

• @Haru17 rumours say it's a game called Starfield.

More rumours which sound a bit crazy, say Starfield started out as a StarWars games but because of disagreements with Disney it became its own thing. Other rumours say the second IP is a game of thrones game. Also that Elser scrolls wouldn't be released for years and don't be expecting a fallout anytime soon.

• @CGamor7 Didn't that rumor also claim it would be shown this year? The Game of Thrones thing seems suspect to me, and I really don't want more Fallout because that series is just inherently uglier.

I want Elder Scrolls VI most of all, but in the mean time I hope Bethesda's new IP has an emphasis on the natural worlds they excel at creating as opposed to sci fi elements. Something like Horizon, WiLD, or Monster Hunter would be great. Definitely a fantasy fan, not a sci fi or post apocalyptic junkie.

• @Haru17 yeah I think it did. I imagine a SciFi game seems the most likely since we already have elder scrolls and fallout. I know fallout is scifi but probably something more in terms of space exploration and aliens. I'm assuming it's going to be a 2019 release.

Yeah game of thrones seems strange. Hence the crazy lol. Could be interesting though. Imagine groups you could join!? But to be honest I'd rather it not be game of thrones.

• @CGamor7 said in Bethesda E3 2017 Discussion:

I imagine a SciFi game seems the most likely since we already have elder scrolls and fallout.

That's why I don't really believe the rumor. Generic Star Wars / Mass Effect sci fi is what we would think they would do, but none of their universes are usual. I want to see something unique and focused around the natural world. I think it's safe to say the random generation rumor was fake though.

Bethesda games are about living in a world and doing cultural anthropology IMO. Using an established universe like Game of Thrones would lose that discovery aspect, and honestly, I don't want to live in that world. Would we die all the time or stay as hyper-powerful player-gods? I just don't think the series makes much sense for Bethesda to adapt.

• @Haru17 but they could do the whole cultural anthropology thing set across a galaxy full of planets and aliens. I see what your saying, and I can't really argue because I have no clue what they're making but I have a hard time believing they would do anything remotely similar to ES or FO. What other setting set in exploring a natural environment could you see them doing?

Yeah I don't feel GoT fits Bethesda.

• @CGamor7 I liked how Anthem was wild despite sci fi and mech suits.