Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PS4/XB1/PC)

• Youtube Video

So the first episode of a 3-part prequel starring Chloe was announced at Xbox's press conference to release August 31st. It will tell Chloe and Rachel's story before Max returned to Arcadia Bay, and is developed by Deck Nine Games not Dontnod, who is apparently still working on a full sequel with a new cast. Deck Nine Games also released a dev diary video along with the trailer.

A warning: due to the nature of this thread there may be spoilers from the first game.

• Banned

Episode 3: The Blue Dye

roll credits

• Oh, great... the story of a girl that can time travel but is too dumb to effectively use it to make her life better continues.

• Geez you two are jaded.

• Glad to see it's a prequel, I was a bit concerned of where they would take the story but a prequel seems much better suited for this.

• @bard91 Yeah, I actually don't know what they could do with a direct sequel. I'm happy that they're focusing on new characters with season 2, and 3 episodes sounds like the right length to look at Chloe and Rachel's relationship.

• We're getting more Life Is Strange than we were expecting and hoping. I'm excited. Nice surprise to tide us over until the real season 2 or sequel comes!

Edit: Oooh. Bonus part. So we're getting 4...

"We know that many of you would love to see more from Max. Due to the way in which the first game ended, we didn’t want to canonize one group of players’ choices over the other – a sentiment echoed strongly by our community. That being said, we will still be giving you one final chance to play as Max through the self-contained bonus “Farewell” episode, which takes place long before the events of Before the Storm. This stand-alone bonus episode, will release after episode 3, and is only available as part of the Deluxe Edition of Life is Strange: Before the Storm. Rest assured, anyone purchasing the complete season of Before the Storm will get the full story. Max’s ‘Farewell’ episode really is just a bonus episode for those who would like to play as her one final time."

...and that bodes well for Hubers bet regarding the real sequel!

• Hopefully the writing is on par with the original series, I'm just happy to be getting more Life Is Strange!

• A bummer about this announcement is that Chloe doesn't seem to have Max's rewind power. That could really put a downer on a lot of the puzzles and conversations, even if it makes canonical sense. Who knows, maybe that's season 2.

• @Haru17

Well, we might not necessarily spend the whole game (or even any of it) playing as Chloe. There's a theory that Rachel Amber also had Max's powers, so who knows, maybe we'll play as her.

• @Hazz3r I really kinda hope so. The whole storyline with Rachel and the doe was just kinda dropped, and that's where it seemed to be going. I would much rather the final episode have been about Rachel ODing on time magic than the weird destiny nonsense it turned into.

• Banned

Hopefully we play as Rachel.

I'd love to treat Chloe like a pos.

• As sad as it sounds I loved Life is Strange. But I played it with my girlfriend at the time who loved it more than I did, but since then, we have split up and no longer speak. So seeing the Before the Storm news just brought back sad memories. I hate it when things have an association with someone like that.

• Not a fan of these games myself, but I watched my wife stumble through it and did some of the puzzles for her. I just....can't help but feel like this won't have nearly the same impact the devs are probably hoping for.

Why? Because no matter what you do in this game, you KNOW how everything turns out. So other than to flesh out the backstories of certain characters that's the bulk of the value you'll be getting out of it.

For me, that's kind of a bummer. But they are doing a sequel, so we'll just wait for that.

• Ashley Burch isn't doing Chloe's voice for this game, and the new voice actor is terribad.

• Development on Before the Storm was started after 2015, so the SAG AFTRA strike applies. I respect Ashly Burch for holding striking lines, and hope the situation gets resolved so that union actors can add their performances to games again and be fairly compensated for their work.

• Global Moderator

@ShenmueGuru Oh man, I am so sorry :(

I am currently playing through Life is Strange for the first time ever. I am about halfway on episode 3 and I absolutely love this game! I think to myself "yeah I'll just quickly play for like half an hour" and poof... 3 hours has gone by. Each character feels kinda real and I recognise peoples attitude from when I was that age.

I mean some stuff in the story I can predict and some choices are quite obvious. Yet there are bits I feel super nervous about going through.

I hope the game keeps up its high quality all the way though and that Before the Storm (the title I now understand) will be as emotional and gripping as the first.

• My only major gripe with LiS was how mind blowingly cringy the dialog was, but being a teacher I also realize that kids these days are just retarded and this is how they actually speak.

No seriously. I literally heard a child say "You hid a fidget spinner in your art project? That is so dank." the othet day. Totally unironically.

• Banned

@El-Shmiablo My only gripe is the lip sync.

It's hella bad.

• @Art said in Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PS4/X1/PC):

@El-Shmiablo My only gripe is the lip sync.

It's hella bad.

Through most of the end the lips didn't move when my wife played it at ALL.