Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PS4/XB1/PC)

• @Art said in Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PS4/X1/PC):

@El-Shmiablo My only gripe is the lip sync.

It's hella bad.

Through most of the end the lips didn't move when my wife played it at ALL.

• @ZyloWolfBane

I mean, sure, you know how it turns out, but the interesting thing is how it got to be that way. Rachel Amber remains an absolute mystery, I'm personally going to really enjoy exploring her story more.

• @Hazz3r said in Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PS4/X1/PC):

@ZyloWolfBane

I mean, sure, you know how it turns out, but the interesting thing is how it got to be that way. Rachel Amber remains an absolute mystery, I'm personally going to really enjoy exploring her story more.

That's pretty much all the wife and I are expecting to really get out of it, hopefully the sequel is a bit more.

• @Haru17 Umm, you misinterpreted the doe, as it was never a representation of Rachel, or her spirit animal; the prequel here only confirms the already obvious fact. LiS never explains its more stranger aspects though, and deliberately it never will.

Chloe's new VA pulls the character off perfectly; it's a shame there was a change, but on this occasion, it honestly didn't matter.

People are going to go into this and sadly pick it apart for the sake of it. Yes it wasn't Dontnod directly behind it, but who they past it on to knew exactly what they were doing.

If you're not interested in buying the game, I recommend watching this playthough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73VAQnwXhLU&list=PLCyE4i5wvFDgPhmA3BLRduJVzCw0V1p5m

Mari and Stacey are very passionate about the series and seem to have personalities that reflect extremely well with the type of characters LiS goes with.

• So I just played through the conclusive third episode today (even though the 4th episode, whatever it is, is out in March). Like almost all Life is Strange episodes it really impressed me, I've really dug some of the metaphors this season. Full spoiler thoughts for both this and the first Life is Strange run...

They definitely took Before the Storm in a less supernatural way than the first season, which was a full blown time travel story by the end. Maybe that's for the best because the 5th episode of the original was nonsense, but there was definitely a lot of overt foreshadowing about Rachel's siren-like powers that was not explained by Chloe's Dead Dad Dreams.

Obviously Chloe's motif was fire (and infrequently ravens) while Rachel's was, I guess, wind given the whole magical weather arc of the first season and this game being called 'Before the Storm.' When the two of them joined, Rachel literally blew Chloe's flames into an inferno which was later extinguished instantly as Rachel's life force dimmed. And it's pretty heavily implied in both this game and the first that Rachel and her mother Sera had some sort of magnetic ability that drew everyone's love to them. That didn't always work out of course, as their worshippers could become possessive (James Amber, Nathan/Jefferson) while the sirens themselves could be fickle and grow tired of their lovers (Chloe, James/Baby Rachel). Oh, and my guess is that Sera transferred her power to Rachel when she gave birth, which could be why James describes her infant life in such awe in the flashback. That, and I doubt either of them are consciously aware of their abilities.

But yeah, I was disappointed with the end a bit. Eliot was underdeveloped for the way they handled him — he felt like he was coming into the scene to wake us up to Rachel's frightening draw. But he just turned into a Telltale antagonist with no motivation or internal logic other than being an obstacle for players, then he was gone. The Battle of Five Armies knockout scene was weird as well. They definitely didn't need to make Damon into a bigger thing than he was, and I was fine with how they resolved it with Frank, but going straight from a confrontation into a deep conversation was weird. Sera just sitting at the table like nothing was wrong had me guessing we were in another dream sequence.

Oh, and the optional scenes where Rachel discover's James' foul play and reunites with her mother should have been voiced parts of the game rather than credits cutscenes with music but no sound effects. I really liked the resolution — or one of the resolutions — to the Ghost Dad arc where Chloe realizes that he was probably hiding meaningful things from her too. I don't have a dead or absentee parent or anything myself, but that really resonated with me.

And lastly, I found it found it funny how I felt exactly no guilt when Drew got mad at Chloe in the hospital room for having tried to steal his money. For one he got it from dealing to students even if it was a good cause, two in my playthrough I did exactly what he wanted and gave back the money afterwords. But most of all, Drew was bullying the mentally ill student who would go onto kidnap and kill Rachel — and even Chloe, if you chose that ending! The dramatic irony was too thick for sympathy, poor magical girls...

• I just Finnish this last night. I really liked it. Deck 9 done a really good job considering the restrictions imposed on them from the main characters history/future making Chloe & Rachel nuanced characters. Its good to see we'll written female characters for a change something the games industry hasn't a great history with. It's definitely a more grounded story than the first series. It's a prequel I never new I wanted. Amazing soundtrack from Daughter as well.

• The game's been out for some time now so I feel the discussion rather exhausted, but I am looking forward to reinvigorating the discussion once the new Max episode comes out.

• The Farewell bonus DLC should be out now. At least the game updated itself for me earlier today. I'll try and play it later this week.

• Global Moderator

@sentinel-beach yeah Im really hyped! still got end of episode 2 and 3 to play through, really gonna try and finish it this week so I can dive into Farwell at the weekend

• Farewell lasted about an hour, a little over. It was really sweet to get to see and say goodbye to Max and Chloe like this. One final time. What a great series, and what a touching pair of best friends. Won't forget you.