Assassin's Creed Origins (Xbox One, PS4, PC)

• Banned

I see Ubisoft HR is busy deleting Youtube comments already.

WE

• Well I absolutely love the ancient egypt setting, but it's AC. Have to wait and see how it develops.

• Global Moderator

Since I havent really touched a AC game since 3, I kinda feel ready to jump back into the series with this part! I mean the little we saw at microsofts press yesterday really resonated with me and I liked that the combat seemed smoother than just parry and counter... even though they having the Y-shaped trees still made me giggle

• I'm excited. Ancient Egypt looks really good, that sun and everything under it, the way the colours and the sand, for instance, look. I really hope the story is good, that we'll see interesting places and stuff like that. The main character seems interesting, but I need to know more of him, of course.

I have to admit, though, that the movements and all that felt a bit too familiar-looking, like it immediately hit me that oh, I've seen this a million times. (I own all the main series games.) <-- Which means I still love the series, despite what I said.

Just keep those multiplayer trophies away from the games, because I love getting platinum trophies in AC games, collecting everything and searching through the maps. Those worlds are great, and this one seems like a real gem.

• I'm 100% sold on this game. I assume it'll have some bugs and stuff as usual, but I'll buy it day one and really get into it.

Great mix of RPG elements, leveled enemies, and open world assassins creed gameplay. Wouldn't want anything less.

• Honestly the only AC game I finished was the first.. all the other ones just felt way to similar to hold my interest unfortunately.

It looks like this one is changing things up enough that I might want to come back to the series. I like the addition of rpg elements and the new combat system looks really good. As always the setting looks amazing, and I think Ancient Egypt is really cool choice.

I'm intrigued by that giant snake.. I'm wondering if there might be boss fights or similar scenarios. Honestly I'd be ok if they took a bit of a fantasy approach with this one.. but I still hope the modern day stuff is reduced or removed completely.

• Nine Cool Things I Noticed While Playing Assassin's Creed Origins

So the stuff kotaku talks about aren't huge innovations or changes, but I like the idea of poisoning a corpse, throwing it on a horse, and sending that horse into enemies.

I had checked out on the actual gameplay only really caring about running around the environments, so it's nice to see changes and improvements.

• Assassin's Creed has been hit and miss with me for a long time, but I have to admit origins has my attention right now. It looks far more polished than past games (As it should), and the loot system is shamelessly my main trigger point for wanting to play the game right now.

All those times I get roped into fighting dozens and dozens of guards now finally have a purpose, I can collect all their gear.

• Seems interesting enough, but the loot system is really off-putting. I'm really burned out on loot systems.

• The world looks beautiful and I'm definitely intrigued to see where Bayek and his story goes. Also, really eager to see what the Templars are like and what their name will be!

But the janky looking combat, return of the painfully arbitrary enemy levels from Unity and Syndicate, Destiny/No Man's Sky menus (seriously, who thinks these cursors are easier than simple button presses?) and "loot" have turned me off quite a lot.

If I see reward boxes of any kind, I am hard out entirely.

• @pphair I'm eagerly awaiting Huber's experience with Assassins creed origins tonight.

Personally I love Diablo-style loot systems. Dopamine is fantastic, and it beats having one or two weapons throughout the whole game.

• @Stormcrownn I get that. I used to enjoy loot in games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion, but the recent overload in games has really turned me off. Horizon was just an unbelievable pain in that regard.

I don't want to play this game for an hour, just so I can hunt down that one rare pelt to get a good weapon.
    I suppose my problem is more with crafting than loot.

Also yes, very eager to hear from Huber!

• @Stormcrownn said in Assassin's Creed Origins (Xbox One, PS4, PC):

@pphair I'm eagerly awaiting Huber's experience with Assassins creed origins tonight.

Personally I love Diablo-style loot systems. Dopamine is fantastic, and it beats having one or two weapons throughout the whole game.

Well technically Black Flag and Brotherhood hit a pretty good balance here with the gear, but there came a point rather quickly where you had SO much money that you could just buy the strongest gear in the game and wreck face and not even miss the money you spent.

In THIS game there might be more emphasis on finding gear instead of just buying it, and I quite like that idea. I'm guessing they noticed people really loved the gearing process in For Honor and Far Cry which probably led to this idea.

• @pphair said in Assassin's Creed Origins (Xbox One, PS4, PC):

Also, really eager to see what the Templars are like and what their name will be!

I'm hoping for no Templars in this game. Maybe some nods and hints but I don't want the actual Templars to be the opposing faction in this game.

@Stormcrownn said in Assassin's Creed Origins (Xbox One, PS4, PC):

The problem with loot for me is that it makes all the gear less meaningful. Some problems can be that your uncommon item can be better than the legendary item you broke your balls to get, you constantly having to swap out items because the new one you found is better than the last, the loot you find is mostly trash so you just collect it to sell it off, you constantly have to spend a lot of time sorting through the loot to see what to keep and what to sell, etc.
    I prefer that the items you get feel more meaningful.

• Even though I said I'd be ok with fantasy elements and giant snakes above.. it still would bother me a bit to see Templars over 1000 years before they began and potentially before Christianity began. Maybe we'll see some kind of proto Templar or the organization that would eventually become the Templars. Granted, I'm not caught up on the story so it may make more sense to have them than I'm assuming

• Global Moderator

If this game can give me that same feel as Assassins Creed 2 did, then I will be all over this! I hope that it have some really cool RPG elements, with cool story and it can kinda fantasy stuff.. .at the same time we dont want it to go too far fetched! Some huge snakes, sphinx and pharaoh with magical powers. It can stay away from aliens and that whole thing though.

Do we know what the background of our hero are? Rebelling slave? pharaoh related that wants to save the people? ordinary man standing up towards the society?

• @Lotias said in Assassin's Creed Origins (Xbox One, PS4, PC):

Do we know what the background of our hero are? Rebelling slave? pharaoh related that wants to save the people? ordinary man standing up towards the society?

Can't remember exactly but the protag was part of a kind of "police" in egypt and now he's the last of his kind (I think).

• @Lotias The Medjay were kind of a paramilitary/police force that protected important areas/palaces and stuff iirc

• Dropped Assassin's Creed after they decided to turn the Templars into cartoon villains in 2 rather than the well-intentioned extremists they were in 1. Only came back for AC4 because of a serious drought of pirate games.

I doubt I'll be playing this, even if it does look better than the previous AC titles. The fact that they'd call themselves "Assassins" at this period in time is rather ahistorical too.

• Global Moderator

@suplextrain @Faaip oooh right! I had missed that completely! I kinda get hyped about this game :D