Assassin's Creed Origins (Xbox One, PS4, PC)

• Ok, those are actually pretty funny!

Youtube Video

• @Art fun idea. Mine would pretty much all be down except for II and brotherhood. Origins appeals to me because of Egypt. However, it's not the time period i would have liked to go with. But if they throw in some Jesus with the pieces of Eden story line, worth every penny.

• @CGamor7
    May as well be productive with my break.

So AC1 I find to be a bit of a bore fest, rather clunky, and the setting and locations very monochromatic. In fact AC1 was so boring to me I almost didn't give the series a second chance with AC2 (which to be fair I only picked up because Blockbuster had some kind of promo deal for AC2, something like rent the game and get a 2 liter of soda, large popcorn, bag of candy for like $8)
    AC2 though got me hooked, love the setting, love the characters, loved playing thru it a second time with the language set to Italian, controls were tightened up, there was more to do, it was just a vastly improved game over AC1.
    Brotherhood was ok, mixing a few new aspects into the mix, and refining others just a bit (also unlockable Raiden costume was awesome)

• I sometimes have the feeling that I’m the only one who loves AC1. The story about those two ancient secret societies fighting each other throughout the centuries, mixed with a modern-day mystery and an ancient species pre-dating humanity was my jam back then. Was it the best story ever written? No, of course not. Was gameplay perfect? Again, no. Especially not from a “modern” perception, where towers and open world busy work is rather seen negatively. But back then it was still new, and it didn’t feel terrible, at least not to me. I just love a good mystery, sci-fi or fantasy story and AC1 was exactly that. A Sci-fantasy-mystery, it clicked all the right buttons for me and I still think very positively about it. Later games were rather disappointing, especially AC 3, Unity and Syndicate. The modern day/” ancient aliens” parts were reaching nonsense territory (even more then AC1) and gameplay started to feel like riding a dead horse. Been there, done that but in a new city...
    Origins is like a shimmer of hope on the horizon and hopefully a new dawn for my favorite guilty pleasure franchise. This one must be good or at least have an interesting story, both in the ancient and in the modern days. Or I’m finally out… :(

• @ISee I agree with everything you've said. In other discussions I've always brought up the fact that AC was an amazing world to step into back in the day when it was fresh. The mechanics were all new before ubi ruined it 10 times over. Anyways i actually really liked the story of the first one I just thought the gameplay got boring and I had to push myself through it. AC2 was my favourite along with brotherhood. But I'm really excited for origins, hoping for the best.

• @CGamor7 I 100% understand that. At one point I started collecting all the feathers (etc) in AC1 and nearly stopped playing because of it. I luckily
    forced myself to stop with the collecting and concentrated on the main setting and story. A learned lesson that I follow in most open world games nowadays: Don't collect all the stuff.

• Being poor right now I will only likely pick this up in a year or so when it's on sale.
    But I think it will be fun enough, and the BF will love it.
    For me I want to pet kitties and run around ancient Egypt.
    I'm also super into that history mode, or whatever it's called. Sort of surprising it took them this long to do that.

• I loved the ideas of the original Assassin's Creed much more than the actual execution of them. While I think Black Flag was a fantastically fun pirate game, the peak of the AC series has always been 2 + Brotherhood to me. There were things I liked about most of the games since; though I HATED Revelations and skipped Syndicate.

If Origins can get near AC2+ACB again I'd be ecstatic, but nothing has matched the magic of those two games since. For me, at least.

• @DeltaCanuckian said in Assassin's Creed Origins (Xbox One, PS4, PC):

I loved the ideas of the original Assassin's Creed much more than the actual execution of them. While I think Black Flag was a fantastically fun pirate game, the peak of the AC series has always been 2 + Brotherhood to me. There were things I liked about most of the games since; though I HATED Revelations and skipped Syndicate.

If Origins can get near AC2+ACB again I'd be ecstatic, but nothing has matched the magic of those two games since. For me, at least.

I tried Syndicate, I really did. Started playing it twice, but wasn't able to finish it both times. It might have been a more pretty game then unity and the overall design was also better but I was just burned out and felt the yearly franchise tiredness kicking in. Everything felt grey, unexciting and boring. The game just wasn't able to sell the characters and setting to me.

The decision to brake the yearly cycle with origins was very important, imo. Not only to extend the development time, but also to give people time to recover from the fatigue.

• @ISee The game that did that for me was Revelations. I got to sequence 7, my PS3 hard drive corrupted and I lost my save, tried multiple times since to restart it and can't get past the opening sequence.

The yearly break does a lot to help it for sure. When a series changes up its control scheme, that's always a big indicator that actual changes were made. When I saw that Origins did that, it really intrigued me.

• i am interested in the game because of who the director is. I don't want to pay full price for it though. I will get it when i have less games to play and i can put time for this game to explore it. So far it looks to be a really good game

• @The_Andredal You can use 100 Uplay points to get a 20% discount if you buy directly from the ubi store. This should also works for physical console versions, I believe.

• Really wish reviews for this would drop soon :(

• @ronin_cse According to Opencritic, the embargo on reviews is until Thursday. Same for Mario.

• Excited for this. First time since AC2. The setting is cool, the time period is pretty cool too. Ptolemaic Egypt with Greeks and Romans vying for influence and control, too cool. I just hope there's a ton of cosmetic options, after 10 years of hoods, I'm ready for helmets inspired by Jackal Guards, Horus Guards. Even full on Greek Hoplite and Roman Centurion stuff.

• @ISee
    Wait I can use those Uplay points I've gotten over the years to get games cheaper?

• @DMCMaster yes, you can. They are sort of useful, in contrast to achievements. ;)

• @ISee
    Can you stack multiple discounts?
    Cause over the years and platforms I think I had around 4-5 thousand uplay points.

• Global Moderator

I keep going forth and back on this game. I love the idea of Egypt and I havent played any AC game properly since 3. I mean I did touch the London one a few times but nothing major. However, as others have mentioned, seeing gameplay its a bit... weird I guess. I mean its some good ideas in there but Im kinda scared that I'll buy it then get tired after like 8 hours and never touch it again.

• @DMCMaster Nah, you can't. Just imagine: you could spend 500 points and get a game for free. Would be to awesome. But to be honest with you, I never tried it, so if it works... Please let me know.

@Lotias Did you know: There are now Bossfights against mythical creatures in Assassins Creed... ;)