Assassin's Creed Origins (Xbox One, PS4, PC)

• @CGamor7 I 100% understand that. At one point I started collecting all the feathers (etc) in AC1 and nearly stopped playing because of it. I luckily
    forced myself to stop with the collecting and concentrated on the main setting and story. A learned lesson that I follow in most open world games nowadays: Don't collect all the stuff.

• Being poor right now I will only likely pick this up in a year or so when it's on sale.
    But I think it will be fun enough, and the BF will love it.
    For me I want to pet kitties and run around ancient Egypt.
    I'm also super into that history mode, or whatever it's called. Sort of surprising it took them this long to do that.

• I loved the ideas of the original Assassin's Creed much more than the actual execution of them. While I think Black Flag was a fantastically fun pirate game, the peak of the AC series has always been 2 + Brotherhood to me. There were things I liked about most of the games since; though I HATED Revelations and skipped Syndicate.

If Origins can get near AC2+ACB again I'd be ecstatic, but nothing has matched the magic of those two games since. For me, at least.

• @DeltaCanuckian said in Assassin's Creed Origins (Xbox One, PS4, PC):

I loved the ideas of the original Assassin's Creed much more than the actual execution of them. While I think Black Flag was a fantastically fun pirate game, the peak of the AC series has always been 2 + Brotherhood to me. There were things I liked about most of the games since; though I HATED Revelations and skipped Syndicate.

If Origins can get near AC2+ACB again I'd be ecstatic, but nothing has matched the magic of those two games since. For me, at least.

I tried Syndicate, I really did. Started playing it twice, but wasn't able to finish it both times. It might have been a more pretty game then unity and the overall design was also better but I was just burned out and felt the yearly franchise tiredness kicking in. Everything felt grey, unexciting and boring. The game just wasn't able to sell the characters and setting to me.

The decision to brake the yearly cycle with origins was very important, imo. Not only to extend the development time, but also to give people time to recover from the fatigue.

• @ISee The game that did that for me was Revelations. I got to sequence 7, my PS3 hard drive corrupted and I lost my save, tried multiple times since to restart it and can't get past the opening sequence.

The yearly break does a lot to help it for sure. When a series changes up its control scheme, that's always a big indicator that actual changes were made. When I saw that Origins did that, it really intrigued me.

• i am interested in the game because of who the director is. I don't want to pay full price for it though. I will get it when i have less games to play and i can put time for this game to explore it. So far it looks to be a really good game

• @The_Andredal You can use 100 Uplay points to get a 20% discount if you buy directly from the ubi store. This should also works for physical console versions, I believe.

• Really wish reviews for this would drop soon :(

• @ronin_cse According to Opencritic, the embargo on reviews is until Thursday. Same for Mario.

• Excited for this. First time since AC2. The setting is cool, the time period is pretty cool too. Ptolemaic Egypt with Greeks and Romans vying for influence and control, too cool. I just hope there's a ton of cosmetic options, after 10 years of hoods, I'm ready for helmets inspired by Jackal Guards, Horus Guards. Even full on Greek Hoplite and Roman Centurion stuff.

• @ISee
    Wait I can use those Uplay points I've gotten over the years to get games cheaper?

• @DMCMaster yes, you can. They are sort of useful, in contrast to achievements. ;)

• @ISee
    Can you stack multiple discounts?
    Cause over the years and platforms I think I had around 4-5 thousand uplay points.

• Global Moderator

I keep going forth and back on this game. I love the idea of Egypt and I havent played any AC game properly since 3. I mean I did touch the London one a few times but nothing major. However, as others have mentioned, seeing gameplay its a bit... weird I guess. I mean its some good ideas in there but Im kinda scared that I'll buy it then get tired after like 8 hours and never touch it again.

• @DMCMaster Nah, you can't. Just imagine: you could spend 500 points and get a game for free. Would be to awesome. But to be honest with you, I never tried it, so if it works... Please let me know.

@Lotias Did you know: There are now Bossfights against mythical creatures in Assassins Creed... ;)

• @ISee
    I'll look into it when I get a chance

• Global Moderator

@ISee that could be of interest though! fight sphynx maybe? or other strange creatures.

• @Lotias you will get tired of it lol. I'm honestly worried about the same thing. I was excited but then watching ppl run around in an open world doing random things and clearing bases gives me flashbacks to all the times in several other games I've done this before. I honestky think im traumatized by open world games abit. The setting is cool and the changes are welcoming but modern AAA open world games all follow the repetitive and ultimately boring structure.

However, I'm going to get this. I hadn't played one in a long time and this at least looks hopeful and the setting looks really interesting. Once I get bored which I'll ultimately will, I'll rush through the story and trade it in for Mario most likely.

• Global Moderator

@CGamor7 I would say that I got a bit of a fatigue on open world games at the moment. As I've said in other threads, it feels like over the past couple years its been like games have gone open world just for the sake of being open world. I kinda miss the scripted more story heavy games now. I will prolly wait for some more solid reviews and then consider it. At the moment Im actually kinda hyped for Need for Speed... even though that too are indeed open world.

• @Lotias Lol Yeah, everything wants to be open world. I picture a NFS side quest where your asked to go pick up bread, milk and eggs at a convenient store. However when getting there you realize their sold out of eggs and bread, so now you got to drive across town. However, a police Chase ensues and the simple task of picking up a few groceries has now turned to high octane thrilling experience of a side quest. After you complete your request your rewarded with breakfast that will increase your driving stamina for an hour which youll need to do more of to keep the stamina items coming, or you can buy ybe loot crate. Open world games!

I miss more story focused games too. I don't see why game devs don't make an open world game that takes place in a smaller and more focused area allowing for freedom and more complex game mechanics. Get rid of the clearing bases, vast amount of empty spaces and other boring tasks and set up a world where everything has purpose and meaning. Things you choose to not explore in the world could impact story branches and so forth.