Assassin's Creed Origins (Xbox One, PS4, PC)

• Huber's review is here!

Youtube Video

• Damn, this seems perfect for me! Just watched the EZA review and read Eurogamer's one, and I'm hearing all the right things. Egypt itself being glorious, the main character is good, and the story works really well. Then there's all the secret tombs and stuff like that. And I'm hearing good things for long-time fans concerning the overall AC mythos and even the modern day part of the story. And both EZA and EG teased about something pretty amazing and unpredictable after the campaign missions and the story is finished. This is all good.

• Started playing. Combat feels better, still a bit clunky though. PC performance is pretty good (so far), but my CPU gets hit hard sometimes.

• Went to a store right when it opened 45 minutes ago (10 AM) and got the game for PS4. Uu, I'm hoping for a great day with this one.

• @Sentinel-Beach
    It's downloaded onto my PS4 HDD, not sure if I'll get a chance to play it though (working 3am to 11pm is just so much fun)

• The start feels very rushed so far...
    I have no idea what's going on, who I am or with whom I'm interacting or why...

• Global Moderator

Would love to hear more thoughts from people after you all have played it some! Im currently on the border of if I should buy it or not. Hope you can help me decide :3

• Couple of hours in now. As always with AC games, there's so much to process and digest in the beginning that it all feels overwhelming. I agree that plot-wise the game starts pretty weirdly, it jumps over some really significant-sounding stuff and suddenly you just start to play. I'm thinking, though, that this is a long-ish prologue and we'll get that flashback sooner or later. Whether it'll be playable or cutscenes, I don't know.

Starting in Siwa seems to be a good call considering the size of this oasis. Still, even in here, it takes time for me to fully realize just what's going on and what everything does. Luckily the side missions help a lot, as doing them really helps to get your bearings. It feels like peeling off layers of Siwa one by one and getting more into the world in a neat way. My circles get larger slowly but firmly. And it's great that the side missions seem to be well-connected to the world, plot and its happenings. Even little things there, but they still feel connected to the bigger picture.

I don't mind the new fighting technique, it just takes some time to get used to, I'd say.

And the world in general is something really fresh and new. Egypt and its deserts, with settlements here and there. This'll be great once it gets really going.

• Global Moderator

@Sentinel-Beach That sounds really promising. Is it similar to the other games? I stoped playing AC games after I had finished 3 as I felt so filled up with the games. I have touched a little black flag and the London one, but yeah, I never felt like a AC game since would give me a "new" experience in a way, kinda the same reason I stoped playing CoD games.

• @Lotias The game, so far, feels like a strange hybrid between Witcher 3 and Assassins Creed. The combat is improved and a bit "inspired" by Dark Souls, just a lot more clunky. Still, a step up imo. Can't say much about the story or quality of side quests atm (just not enough time spend with the game). Every Side Quest so far was in the "fetch/kill quest" territory: Kill those bandits and their leader because they've stolen our supplies, get the medicine from the shipwreck because those people are wounded etc. Not a big problem, imo. But also not something to write home about.
    The eagle is a fun addition and I enjoy using him and the atmosphere is great. Running around ancient egypt feels good. Graphics are nice and can look gorgeous sometimes. Character models, especially normal NPCs stand out though and some animations and facial expressions are wooden.

• @Lotias ugh... I'm feeling the same way. I have it pre-ordered. I'm suppose to pick it up today. I'm feeling like just getting Mario instead. I really want to see Egypt and explore those things. If this was a different time period it would have been an easy pass. But the world looks so good! I don't know what to do, I'm freaking out! Not Really Lol, I'm just not sure what to get.

• Global Moderator

@CGamor7 Haha yeah exactly like me! As I said it feels best to watch some reviews and see what other people say after spending time with it.

• Okay, so the Siwa area really was a pretty long prologue for the game, like it felt the whole time. I took my time there, a number of hours, finished all the side quests and got to lvl 7 before taking on the main quest there. Once I dealt with that, the narration really found its gear, picked up some speed and everything makes so much more sense now. This truly feels like a grand adventure that's about to begin, and Bayek's quest is one that I'll eagerly fulfill. I have a really good feeling about this, this is just the thing for me, I know it. Uhh! :)

• @Lotias the problem is I'm not liking what I hear. Ppl are saying it's a good but ordinary game. That there's lots of busy work. Especially to really bring out the story. I know that over all ppl like it, but I know myself. I got bored of witcher, dragon age inquisition, andromeda, and every AC after brotherhood. But that world though! Looks so tempting lol. Anyways I don't mean to complain and I know everything in just said sounds like I should avoid it lol. I just want to be able to experience it. I know for myself this generation has been really hard because game prices went up to 80 dollars and there's so many to play.

Anyways hoping to hear some more from ppl playing it. Give us some hot takes.

How are the assassinations quests?

• @CGamor7 The first one ended up being a duel between me and the target as I botched the job initially. :P So, not very discrete. But the fighting is a lot more on focus in the game in general as well.

I kinda worry you wouldn't like the game after reading your reasons and list of games you don't enjoy. I mean, yeah, this does feel like a new AC in a lot of ways (and the old as well, the base is there), but a lot of the new things are then things like from the Witcher, which you don't like either.

The story, I feel, is just beginning for me, and now after the prologue area it'll propably/surely pick up some pace. The narration seems to be working so that it fills up the holes in the past every now and then. Even in some of the side missions you get answers and nods to the story, which I like.

If you only want to see this world they've created, then maybe you could wait for the, umm, how was it called? The history lesson DLC sort of thing for the game? It's free, if I remember correctly. Not 100 % sure how it'll work, but I understood that it'd give you the chance to marvel the world and just learn about everything in it, all the history and people and places.

• @Sentinel-Beach thanks! I guess I should clarify that i don't not like the Witcher. I really enjoyed the core of the game. It's was the busy work and the endless markers on my map that burnt me out. I didn't even finish it due to that. I really like RPGs just not when it's all filler. Same goes for all thos other games. Anyways... sounds like your enjoying it. As long as theres story to chase i usually like it. Keep us updated :)

• @Sentinel-Beach Can't wait to hear more of your impressions as you progress through it! Especially the quests in one particular region which I won't name so you won't be biased in your feedback ;)

• @Axel lol. Will you be able to share your thoughts in the future on what u did or is that forever locked away?

• @CGamor7 I can say what I worked on but I'll wait until people have reached it. But I can't really share my thoughts beyond "That was my favourite part" or something :)

• Met my wife, so that's where I'm now. Amazing stuff. On my way there I saw two of the Seven Wonders of the World in the distance (one far away, the other closer). The plot is surprising because of spoilers, really interested to see what this means at this point, but I'll call it a day for now.

The map is huge, almost ridiculous. In a good way. I scrolled down south and as it just continued after where I thought it would stop I had to laugh in disbelief with a stupid look on my face. :D This'll take ages to conquer, and it's just what I like. The game's structure is so good, the way it opens up all the time and introduces things and places to me. Wonderful feeling to play this.

Still, though, a couple of negatives. I don't like the other players' photos on the map. There's a filter for that to hide them, but for some reason it doesn't stick, so you have to choose it every time when looking at the map if you so will. I hope it would remember the choise I made. The other thing is from the same place, meaning those Souls-like notices of where other players died. Really unnecessary, I feel. And there's even a dead body on the ground if you go there, which breaks the magic, as it's just dead Bayek on Bayek's feet there.