Anthem (PS4/XB1/PC)

• Banned

I know you guys are sad about no Andromeda DLC, but look on the bright side.

Anthem will be PACKED with DLC.

Thanks for the Destiny/Division clone, EA. You're really on top of things.

• @Art I wonder if we'll new Anthem expansions every year, just like Destiny. Maybe the product will release in 2018 in an incomplete state, just like Destiny. Oh, I love the parallels. Ooooo, maybe we'll get an Anthem 2 in 2021!

I'm making huge assumptions with that, but I'm worried about Anthem being too much like Destiny.

• Game Informer did a Rapid Fire questions interview with BioWare's Mark Darrah on Anthem. I always love these videos:

Youtube Video

• Global Moderator

I feel like my hype for this game has deflated after EA's press.

• @lotias I'm in similar territory. The more we've learned about Anthem, the more mixed I feel about it. I want to love this game which looks so great visually and is quite compelling to me setting-wise, but I feel like EA is pushing me away by making it heavily multiplayer focused.

• @lotias Yeah... i feel like they need to do a deep dive like Battlefront 2 did last year, and instead they talked about it more. Typical EA. Anthem really needs more gameplay reveals.

• Global Moderator

@chocobop @bam541 Yeah, I mean this game SHOULD be right up my alley. wear massive suits, fire big guns and fight bigger monsters. Yet I dont feel it. I think Destiny took out a lot of my willingness to kill, grind, pvp, repeat. I also think the date is too early as they had to revamp a lot of the game for removing lootboxes. But we will see, just dont feel it.

• My hype for Anthem is dead after seeing that Hubs are NPC only. So much for a living world...

• I'm still looking forward to this, but I've learned to not blindly trust Bioware anymore. I look forward to seeing more in the next 8 months...
    But I'm also super skeptical of that release date.

• I am not as hyped. I'm sure it will have a cool story but I dunno

• With Division 2 coming out, I have negative hype for Anthem.
    YA FUCKED UP, EA

• Game Informer published their 14 page cover story on Anthem online: https://www.gameinformer.com/feature/anthem/flying-to-a-new-frontier

Even though this article is a week old now, it gave me a better idea of what Anthem will be like than anything from E3 week.

• Here's a great article about it:

www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2019/2/11/18214604/bioware-anthem-dragon-age-ea

I was not excited for the game prior to reading this, but my hope is now a bit restored. It's nice to hear directly from the devs how passionate they are.

• Played the beta. Big meh from me. Destiny 2 is still the Elder God of loot shooters.

• I was going to buy this even if its a 7, but i just listened to a 45 minutes review and i lost all interest in this game.

• I played the beta, really enjoyed it (I did have two friends playing with me) even though we ran into crashes and bugs. Really just enjoyed the combat, using the different special weapons and towards the end got use to the gunplay. My biggest weird hangup with this game has been these iron man mechs using guns. I kinda think it looks stupid to have to carry these weapons around, Im more of a war machine fan where the weapons are mounted on shoulders or wrist but i got over that. The story/fort stuff seems real meh but I'm really there to wreck stuff as a cool mech suit person,thing. I'm looking forward to it, I don't play any one game for too long so by the end of March I'll have probably moved on but im excited to give the full game a whirl with a couple buddies.

• This makes me sad.
    I wanted to play this, but the beta confirmed for me that this was just an okay game.
    Sure there were a lot of bugs in that beta, but I can see some of those being fixed by release, but it didn't interest me past some decent gameplay. I wanted a more interesting world and story.

• From what I've read, the game has 21 story missions that take around 10 hours to beat. After that, it moves to end game content which currently consists of the equivalent of three Destiny strikes and no raids. Along with no PvP, that is a shockingly low amount of content. Considering I haven't read a single bit of praise for the story they're crafting here, I think it's safe to say this thing is going to bomb initially. Since they're sticking to the Destiny formula, maybe it will be worth playing next year?

• I do wonder for those that played the beta and didn't enjoy it, were you playing with friends? Obviously opinions will be all over the place with anything but I enjoyed the beta, warts and all, and I wonder if having friends to play with smoothed some of the rough edges for us. From the low review scores it seems like more warts are abound but I had enough fun flying around, bombing shit that I'm still excited to play this. I do expect to bounce off once some of the heavy hitters come in March but till then I hope I'll have some fun shoulder cannon so weird aliens.

• We are going to look back on 2013-2019 and ask ourselves why we ever played these types of games.

What sense is there playing a shallow and short game void of any worthwhile story? What is our excuse to justify these games that usually improve in a year? My coworkers who used to play Destiny just say "it's fun" but I never found it fun.