Anthem (PS4/XB1/PC)

• Global Moderator

@chocobop @bam541 Yeah, I mean this game SHOULD be right up my alley. wear massive suits, fire big guns and fight bigger monsters. Yet I dont feel it. I think Destiny took out a lot of my willingness to kill, grind, pvp, repeat. I also think the date is too early as they had to revamp a lot of the game for removing lootboxes. But we will see, just dont feel it.

• My hype for Anthem is dead after seeing that Hubs are NPC only. So much for a living world...

• I'm still looking forward to this, but I've learned to not blindly trust Bioware anymore. I look forward to seeing more in the next 8 months...
    But I'm also super skeptical of that release date.

• I am not as hyped. I'm sure it will have a cool story but I dunno

• With Division 2 coming out, I have negative hype for Anthem.
    YA FUCKED UP, EA

• Game Informer published their 14 page cover story on Anthem online: https://www.gameinformer.com/feature/anthem/flying-to-a-new-frontier

Even though this article is a week old now, it gave me a better idea of what Anthem will be like than anything from E3 week.

• Here's a great article about it:

www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2019/2/11/18214604/bioware-anthem-dragon-age-ea

I was not excited for the game prior to reading this, but my hope is now a bit restored. It's nice to hear directly from the devs how passionate they are.

• Played the beta. Big meh from me. Destiny 2 is still the Elder God of loot shooters.

• I was going to buy this even if its a 7, but i just listened to a 45 minutes review and i lost all interest in this game.

• I played the beta, really enjoyed it (I did have two friends playing with me) even though we ran into crashes and bugs. Really just enjoyed the combat, using the different special weapons and towards the end got use to the gunplay. My biggest weird hangup with this game has been these iron man mechs using guns. I kinda think it looks stupid to have to carry these weapons around, Im more of a war machine fan where the weapons are mounted on shoulders or wrist but i got over that. The story/fort stuff seems real meh but I'm really there to wreck stuff as a cool mech suit person,thing. I'm looking forward to it, I don't play any one game for too long so by the end of March I'll have probably moved on but im excited to give the full game a whirl with a couple buddies.

• This makes me sad.
    I wanted to play this, but the beta confirmed for me that this was just an okay game.
    Sure there were a lot of bugs in that beta, but I can see some of those being fixed by release, but it didn't interest me past some decent gameplay. I wanted a more interesting world and story.

• From what I've read, the game has 21 story missions that take around 10 hours to beat. After that, it moves to end game content which currently consists of the equivalent of three Destiny strikes and no raids. Along with no PvP, that is a shockingly low amount of content. Considering I haven't read a single bit of praise for the story they're crafting here, I think it's safe to say this thing is going to bomb initially. Since they're sticking to the Destiny formula, maybe it will be worth playing next year?

• I do wonder for those that played the beta and didn't enjoy it, were you playing with friends? Obviously opinions will be all over the place with anything but I enjoyed the beta, warts and all, and I wonder if having friends to play with smoothed some of the rough edges for us. From the low review scores it seems like more warts are abound but I had enough fun flying around, bombing shit that I'm still excited to play this. I do expect to bounce off once some of the heavy hitters come in March but till then I hope I'll have some fun shoulder cannon so weird aliens.

• We are going to look back on 2013-2019 and ask ourselves why we ever played these types of games.

What sense is there playing a shallow and short game void of any worthwhile story? What is our excuse to justify these games that usually improve in a year? My coworkers who used to play Destiny just say "it's fun" but I never found it fun.

• @dipset

You might be asking yourself that, I'm mostly in the same camp as your co workers. I have no idea what the hell was going on in Destiny but that gunplay was really good and I'm not a huge FPS gamer. That being said, fun gameplay will only last me so long. I dropped off of destiny one after the credits and didn't even get to credits in Destiny 2. I think I'll enjoy Anthem, even with its problems, because I've enjoyed the actual game play but I don't think I'll be sticking around long enough to see if EA every makes the improvements it needs to make for this game to be critical success down the road.

• Yo.
    I'ma defend loot shooters/gear grinders.
    I have put an inappropriate amount of time into the Destiny franchise this generation. The same goes for Diablo 3.
    Both of these games have a relatively boring "core" to them. I would not begrudge anybody for giving up on Destiny 2 after experiences the godawful opening hours of that game, or somebody wondering why anyone played through the easy modest of easy mode games that is Diablo 3's first run.
    For me, meta is life.
    For me, not much else beats finding that perfect combination of gear and skills that let's me melt the face off of previously difficult enemies. I've got a Barb in D3 that shoots out tornadoes when I use my Whirlwind ability, and those tornadoes shoot out lightning, all which culminates in a Torment 10 destroying Elder God of destruction that I spent several hundred hours grinding to achieve.
    Destiny is the same. I'm about 9 Powerlevel away from getting my Warlock to 600, and I just got a Godroll The Last Dance which is a sidearm that allows my bullets to ricochet off of surfaces at oblique angles. It melts a considerable amount of faces in Gambit, especially with the Freehand Grip mod I installed so I'm running up on bitches like Revolver Ocelot.
    Destiny also gets a little extra leway thanks to that sweet, sweet Bungie gameplay. I seriously know of few other devs that can so consistently make their games just FEEL good to play. There are hundreds of guns in Destiny 2, and they all give me a half chub everytime I pull the trigger.

The problem with Anthem, at least from my understanding, is that it isn't trying to compete in the loot shooter space today, but six years ago. It looks like shit compared to Destiny or Division because it is. You're entering into a genre where fans have already had to put up with Destiny having a shitty first year TWICE so they aren't exactly chomping at the bit to wait for Anthem to play 6 years of catch up to the king of the genre, and at least from the small amount I played, it doesn't have the sexy gameplay like Destiny to alleviate the grind until it DOES get better.

• @el-shmiablo
    I think theres a bit more to it then just that.
    Hell I think I've said it hear but Anthem is the conceptual dream game me my brother and cousin imagined back in middle school, but none of us have any interest in it.
    Then again said concept was more so a sequel to PSO, which would of had more then enemies that just shoot at you and the occasional monster

• @el-shmiablo

I hear what you're saying defending the loot shooters. They just have to do more to convince me personally. I'd be more inclined to play a loot shooter like Anthem if they did something interesting to the core gameplay every once in a while.

I just beat Titanfall 2 and that game is like Half Life where it introduces a new and interesting mechanic then throws it out the window just as fast as it came. It's cool because it makes levels in the game feel distinct.

Anthem's story and lore seem to conceptually give the game free reign to mix it up with the gameplay missions kinda like TiF2 did, but for some reason the missions are about collecting bullshit and defending against hordes of enemies. I'd grind out a few horde missions or collect junk missions if it mixed it up with a cool new mechanic every now and again.

Hell, even The Witcher 2 and 3 which are two of my favourite RPG games ever have lots of bullshit missions where you collect stuff and bring it back to somebody. But those games mix it up here and there with a castle siege, giant battle, monster fight, performing in a play, etc, etc.

Something about these loot shooters are so plain that it irks me.

• @dipset I think that you should take a look at what Destiny's meta involves. The raids are conceptually something that even more complex MMOs aren't really approaching. There are puzzles in the Last Wish raid that people are STILL trying to figure out.
    Exotic quests also often have you completing some pretty obtuse tasks that can only be solved by reading about the game's lore in item descriptions.

I feel like somebody who says they don't like Destiny because they played the opening is like somebody saying they don't like the entire MCU because they watched the first half hour of Doctor Strange.