Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1/PC)

• @Billy They're pretty fun, especially Kulu. I can't wait to fight the peppy little bird in the full game.

• More beta thoughts: The wall jump attacks are all really well done. In fact, Insect Glaive can just stick into a wall like Mario and fling off back into an aerial combo.

The slide attacks are some of the coolest shit I've done in a video game and feel great. However, they can be inconsistent in how soon you can perform them when sliding. Sliding itself can feel confusing, with certain diagonal paths not allowing it while others have a tiny little patch where you can slide.

Also, some weapons have unique wall jump attacks, some slide attacks, and some unsheathed wall jump attacks. However, a lot of weapons just use their standard aerial attack, so it can feel incomplete. I hope a complete set of slide and wall jump abilities are added in the Ultimate release.

World's satisfying hit feedback can't be overstated. That's perhaps why mounted finishers and the Switch Axe's zero sum discharge feel so blah to me. It's probably only bugging me because you can't directly control your hunter's positioning or aim during a mounted finisher, but I don't know why we still can't juat cling onto a medium sized monster's hide and use one or two attack animations.

• Playing with friends is so jolly! Diablos bursting out of the ground and creating a sinkhole to fall into is one of my gaming highlights of the year.

• Will this game be fun solo?

• @Sheria I had a fun time playing solo, but a much better time hunting with an ally - as is the case with most multiplayer games. It seems there's a decent number of us picking this game up in the community so I don't think you'd have to worry about hunting alone, unless that's just the way you wanna play.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1/PC):

@Sheria I had a fun time playing solo, but a much better time hunting with an ally - as is the case with most multiplayer games. It seems there's a decent number of us picking this game up in the community so I don't think you'd have to worry about hunting alone, unless that's just the way you wanna play.

Thank you for the reply. I've played a bit of MH here and there, and always found it an ok experience solo, and at least doable to a point. What concerned me though was its name really. It seems to imply that it's the most multiplayer focused MH there's been, and that concerns me.

I don't worry about the inability to find other players, but I do worry about hitting a wall, where playing solo is no longer viable. I just have zero interest in playing with others. In contrast, I've had a fantastic time with the likes of God Eater, another game that suggests multiplayer, but never relies on it.

• @Sheria Yeah, I have a limited experience with the series and this beta only showed off 3 hunts, so I couldn't say if it's viable to go through the whole game solo, but I didn't really run into any walls playing alone. I was able to complete all three hunts relatively easily alone and still had a good time. From what I've heard, it's really not drastically different experience from the previous games, so if you had a decent time with those, it'll probably be around the same here. Maybe one of these veterans with hundreds of hours in the franchise could chime in though, I'm not sure how valuable my experience is, haha.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1/PC):

@Sheria Yeah, I have a limited experience with the series and this beta only showed off 3 hunts, so I couldn't say if it's viable to go through the whole game solo, but I didn't really run into any walls playing alone. I was able to complete all three hunts relatively easily alone and still had a good time. From what I've heard, it's really not drastically different experience from the previous games, so if you had a decent time with those, it'll probably be around the same here. Maybe one of these veterans with hundreds of hours in the franchise could chime in though, I'm not sure how valuable my experience is, haha.

No, that's really helpful actually. I think I'll pick the game up. I honestly appreciate the advice.

• @Sheria Tri is still my favorite released Monster Hunter game and I never connected my Wii to play it online. IMO, the things that made it compelling — the realized ecosystems and the awesome monster design and character animation — are only taken higher in World.

All of the quests in World are playable in either singleplayer or multi. Singleplayer is definitely more difficult though, with the monster focusing on you most of the time and not 3 other party members. And the beta is significantly reduced in difficulty from the full game, or at least Jagras, Barroth, Jyuratodus, and Anjanath are.

However, Monster Hunter games are never going to have a difficulty curve that makes things unfun. You will probably find one or two monster fights very difficult and have to attempt a few times, but you can fight and gather in free roam or hunt other monsters to build a weapon or armor set balanced in your favor.

Grinding and postgame content are more fun in multiplayer IMO though. It just ramps up the emergent element when you have four different hunters running around, placing items, using the environment, and using different weapons.

• @Sheria said in Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1/PC):

Will this game be fun solo?

@Sheria
    Capcom seems to have been more mindful of solo players as of late.

• being able to bring along 2 felynes to hunts instead of 1 allows more creative tactics
    • a bit more time spent on story development (NOTE: it was still VERY bare bone and basic [a la MHX/MHXX] )

Hunting these big monsters will always been fun alone or otherwise. For 50 minutes or however long you take to finish your hunt, you have to stay on your toes. Being resourceful with your items and accurate with your strikes may net you better rewards in the end. You will be challenged and you will enjoy every second of being a solo player (if your weapons are not OP).

Having said that, let me just say playing MH with a good, supportive group is about one thousand times more enjoyable than going at it solo. The prep, the roles, the constant communication, the little victories celebrated during each mission etc. have given MH the legs to continue to run strong since MHP2/MHP2G on the PSP, mostly in Asia. Few things will be as enjoyable as that relieving sigh you and your teammates simultaneously let out as your mark goes down after that a 40-minute battle.

• Trailer Time: The Japanese stream should be live at 2:30 am PST Friday. Probably time for another new map or a bunch of cool fire-themed monsters — there weren't and new ones in the fourth game!

Youtube Video

• So I'm thinking I'll buy Monster Hunter at release. While I didn't get to spend as much time with the beta as I wanted (maybe shy of 5 hours if you add playtime from both together) I could almost feel like something about World was about to click, and I'm kinda hoping that it finally does for me and this series.

• It'll definitely take you more than the first sessions to learn maps and where to pursue monsters — part of the mid and endgame of Monster Hunter. The Ancient Forest is the most complex map in the series — I imagine it's probably one of the most complex boss stages in any series. It probably took me 20 hours or more to learn it in the beta.

Keep in mind the beta was missing the full game's intro and some tutorial elements, so I imagine there'll be a clearer path to learn these things in the full game. Also, there's just 8 hours 'til the event!

• @Haru17
    No doubt, once I have a more structured tutorial ill probably have some "Aha" moment.
    Ill admit that I'm excited for a entry in Monster Hunter to finally get its hooks into me. Tried MH3 on WiiU, and MHG both I got on sale, and something just didn't click.

• Youtube Video

Trailer time!

• Global Moderator

We are getting closer and closer to the release and I am getting more and more Hyped!

• Edit: Scratch that, they showed Deviljho later in the presentation. Ended now.

In case it wasn't clear, you can stop watching now XD. It was just Japanese collaboration announcements after the trailer and demo. The ice/wind monster was Kushala Daora and the fire lion Teostra, they are from Monster Hunter 2 AND THEY FUCKING PUNCH EACH OTHER NOW!!! The Deathwing frog and freaky tongue dragon are new.

• @DMCMaster Oh right, forgot that there's a final pre-launch beta on the 19th. The Nergigante quest is apparently limited to 15 minutes and the monster is souped up even from the full game, so it'll probably be impossible for most groups.