Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1/PC)

• @SabotageTheTruth 'Cause it would suck if the hub town you're stuck with for hundreds of games — probably multiple releases — was ugly. I do wish you could go down to the water in Astera though, it's so naval but you can't go to the docks. Could stand to be more expansive with the pulley system and everything.

Anyway, I always really enjoy the siege-style Monster Hunter fights. There are definitely some clunky things about Zorah, but it seems like it has a much greater budget than Lao-Shan Lung, Jhen Mohran, and Dalamadur. Obviously not as well put together as Gogmazios or Nakarkos, but there are some things about the fight that haven't been done in a game before to my knowledge.

Ahem.

alt text

• It's so relieving that this game is doing well. That supports more resources put into each individual game, that supports longer dev cycles, and most of all it supports the fantasy ecosystem focus that Monster Hunter had gotten away from. I don't expect Capcom will stop annualizing the series, but they might maintain the main team at its current size and beefy up the portable one to be able to develop off year titles faster.

I hope this means we'll get some sick paid expansions and that free monster DLC will go on longer than it did for games like ARMS. And when World Ultimate and the PC release roll around it could reinvigorate a second round of DLC — I suppose that depends on if people play it like an MMO though.

• As much as I think the creature design is stellar in this game, I hadn't found a monster I really gelled with personally. That all changed once I fought my boy, Tobi-Kadachi. Love the design, love the electricity, and the armor set is absolutely beautiful.

Tomorrow is my first day off of work since the release of Monster Hunter. I didn't even bother to attempt to make any sort of real plans, I already know where my time is going.

• So, here's something that's still obtuse (and it's new to boot, so it confused old timers like myself as well). Item bar positions and radial menu presets are tied to your item loadout. You need to do them, then save them for all of your loadouts or every time you auto deposit your menus will be all rejiggered.

• I just want to say i love this game.

• I'll give my jaded veteran views on this game for anyone who's curious.

I've spent 70+ hours so far currently HR34, here's what I like and dislike:

Good stuff:

• No Pickaxes/Bug nets (Though recent titles had this via Palico mode)
    • Gear wishlists are handy
    • Restocking items with one button from your storage is VERY nice
    • Radial Menu is great when it works
    • Palicos are great and not obscenely overpowered like they've been in the past
    • Crafting Menus for items are really well done
    • Crafting paths for weapons/gear are by and large one of the best additions in the franchise to date
    • Researching monsters will unveil what they drop, what causes said item to drop, and the rarity for which these items appear, EXTREMELY useful
    • Auto crafting seems minor at first but eventually you'll wonder how you ever lived without it
    • Food Buffs last so long now that I haven't cooked one single meat
    • A couple new monsters are slowly becoming my new favorites like >! Odogaron

Things I sort of don't like:

• Mantles are very VERY good, almost too good, and don't lend themselves well to helping players learn the game as opposed to just having things that let you ignore mechanics.
    • Slicing shot is OP
    • Scoutflies turning your camera when they aren't even going the right way and you can SEE the monster they're trying to lead you to
    • Singleplayer and multiplayer don't have separate quest lists/urgent quests, >! once you finish the game solo...that's it, that's the game unless you want to grind for augments or get every achievement/trophy

• You can't craft decorations the way you used to be able to
    • Charms aren't found via mining anymore
    • Expeditions are nearly pointless unless all you want is materials from ore, plants, etc

Things I completely HATE:

• Bazelgeuse showing up in EVERY. SINGLE. HIGH RANK. FIGHT! Once in a while randomly would've been fine, but after the 100th time in a row, in a crowded cave where the whole screen is his fat hitbox? No, I want to slap who put that into the game.

• Multiplayer is....really messy, the old lobby system was honestly better than this, and forcing players to see a cutscene before their friends can join is a little ridiculous, I can see WHY they did it, but as most of the people who've asked me for help want help with their story quests this gets a little annoying for ME personally since I'm the one stuck waiting, then waiting for the quest to load, then waiting for the screen to load, then playing catch up running to where the host is at rather than us starting the quest together.

Nitpicky things:

• Vaal Hazak was really cool looking, but ultimately a really wimpy monster to fight for an Elder Dragon

• Investigations make it a little too easy to find rare crafting materials.

• Sections of the game that are just about finding research points of the quest monster they're about to make you fight was needlessly annoying

• No G rank, but as with all monster hunter titles this is typically the case at launch anyway. NA is just spoiled since our versions typically come with G rank cause we had to wait for it.

• Having one quest list means I don't need multiplayer whatsoever, there's no reason I ever need to join anybody unless I've been asked to help, not a HUGE problem, but for a game that was seemingly aimed at bringing new players to multiplayer with veterans there's not much reason for experienced players to stray from soloing.

• Being able to return to camp at any time cheapens to overall experience, high rank and G rank's biggest thing in past titles was that you got dropped in a random spot instead of at base camp, and you didn't get supplies in the box right away either.

Now you get dropped in a random spot but if you're not in combat you can just warp to a camp, pick the wrong weapon by mistake? Go back to camp. Run out of ammo? Go back to camp.

There's no reason to really worry about learning mechanics and getting better at dodging/aiming because you can run away and reheal, rebuff, and restock any time you want without penalty. It's fine for newer players, but they won't have any reason to push beyond casual play either. So unless that's capcom's aim in the future (And I hope it isn't) it's not really helping anybody improve.

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure people will disagree with a lot of it but eh, it's whatever. I liked the game. But I expected a bit more, and I feel the aim to bring new people in came at a cost of longevity. When a Monster Hunter game came out I'd spend months on it, now? I'm over it and it hasn't even been a full week yet.

I'm not against casual players either, I just think that if it's to be a multiplayer game the point should be to bring new players up to everyone else's level through practice and repetition, not lower the bar so that everyone is a god.

• @ZyloWolfBane Just to comment on a few things (I'm no veteran of the series at all, by the way)

• Expeditions do serve more of a purpose than just gathering materials. Not only do you have some beautiful locales to visit without any sort of time constraint, you have the added benefit of finding new places to set up camp, a few sidequests (which could be deemed as not great), and then there's usually a quest to help you obtain a new gadget for your Palico. One of my favorite moments of the entire game took place on expedition, just exploring the Ancient Forest until I found a set of doodles... and followed those up and up the tree. It was an area I had never seen before and it hit me with every sense of wonder imaginable.

• While I initially found the multiplayer aspect jarring, I've fallen in love with how fluid and freeing it can be. If you're part of a squad, you can just join in a session, see what other members are up to, join in, or post a quest of your own. I was hunting Diablos for the first time earlier today and without even requesting help, a member of the EZA squad hopped in and helped out - thankfully too, that fight was giving me some problems! Responding to SOS calls, the drop in/drop out nature of things, and the "community" feel of the squad sessions actually feels really fresh to me. The cutscene bit you mentioned is a problem, but only for story quests... which aren't always my main focus. I don't think they do a very good job of explaining the systems but once they start meshing together, it's honestly pretty stunning.

• For me, the motivation to play with a group is simple - it's more fun that way. I've not played the older games so I don't know if simplifying it down to one quest is better, but it seems to me I'm going to want to keep playing after the story is over to get better gear and fight harder enemies, preferably not just alone.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1/PC):

@ZyloWolfBane Just to comment on a few things (I'm no veteran of the series at all, by the way)

• Expeditions do serve more of a purpose than just gathering materials. Not only do you have some beautiful locales to visit without any sort of time constraint, you have the added benefit of finding new places to set up camp, a few sidequests (which could be deemed as not great), and then there's usually a quest to help you obtain a new gadget for your Palico. One of my favorite moments of the entire game took place on expedition, just exploring the Ancient Forest until I found a set of doodles... and followed those up and up the tree. It was an area I had never seen before and it hit me with every sense of wonder imaginable.

• While I initially found the multiplayer aspect jarring, I've fallen in love with how fluid and freeing it can be. If you're part of a squad, you can just join in a session, see what other members are up to, join in, or post a quest of your own. I was hunting Diablos for the first time earlier today and without even requesting help, a member of the EZA squad hopped in and helped out - thankfully too, that fight was giving me some problems! Responding to SOS calls, the drop in/drop out nature of things, and the "community" feel of the squad sessions actually feels really fresh to me. The cutscene bit you mentioned is a problem, but only for story quests... which aren't always my main focus. I don't think they do a very good job of explaining the systems but once they start meshing together, it's honestly pretty stunning.

• For me, the motivation to play with a group is simple - it's more fun that way. I've not played the older games so I don't know if simplifying it down to one quest is better, but it seems to me I'm going to want to keep playing after the story is over to get better gear and fight harder enemies, preferably not just alone.

Well it's not so much like I'm flat out against playing with people (Though the few randoms I HAVE helped were the worst experiences in the game thus far) it's that the way older MH games were structured the "Story" would take you through low/high rank in singleplayer, the story would end and then you'd go to the multiplayer hub to continue.

That's where you'd do your HR grinding, which had it's own tiers of quests and separate urgent quests culminating with some of the really big elder dragon bosses like Jhen Moran in the past for example, and many monsters that simply were not in the single player whatsoever, Like Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos, Lucent Nargacuga, etc etc.

NOW If you play MHW thinking that this will be the same experience and you complete the story that's....well....it

I don't think that was the wisest choice, but Shrug that's just me. There's no real incentive to play with other people through the story, plus factor in what I said in my other post about cutscenes and it's just a messy experience.

So unless you're farming optional quests with friends it's not really as seamless as they advertised, plus if they've been in the match too long before you jump in you just don't get any rewards at all for helping.

Just a lot of really weird decisions.

• @ZyloWolfBane By all accounts Monster Hunter's skill cap has been increased, it's just not one of those obnoxious games that halts progress with prohibitive difficulty. Monster Hunter has been open to different levels of play even going back to Tri — if anyone reading this is unfamiliar, a much pricklier of a pear than recent entries — and if it hadn't been I never would have gotten into it seven or so years ago.

And expeditions don't have to be optimal, they just have let players gather and hunt without a time limit. That said, I was disappointed that monsters flee from expeditions much faster than from normal quest, which kind of defeats the chill hunt aspect of them. Not that the standard 50 minute time limits in World matter to begin with, but it would be nice.

In terms of extended playtimes, in my mind after around 40 or 50 hours of singleplayer (and in World I'm nearing 100 before I've seen the last new monster) everything else is just bonus. RPGs and core Zeldas can run longer, but I don't think they can fairly be expected to, and neither can Monster Hunter. And let's elucidate what we're talking about here: finding new monsters and areas. World still has 100s of hours worth of playtime unlocking all the quests and plumbing the depths of the dynamic fights. With the environments, hazards, new attacks, and new monster animations I feel like fights now have a wider range of outcomes than 4 or even in Tri.

Oh, and that one spoiler monster that shows up in all the areas wasn't my favorite. I think it's a really cool design being a bomber plane where Valphalk was a fighter jet, but it felt awkward to have it show up wherever. It hasn't been anywhere near every high rank quest in my experience, I'm coming at this from the perspective of bomb boi not quite fitting in the Ancient Forest and Rotten Vale. It was probably a volcano monster design that they turned into Jho 2.0 to spice things up.

• I played probably around 10ish hours of it and i'm loving it. Currently Maining the longsword (used to almost exclusively main greatsword). Its really interesting to see the changes they made to make it more accessible and just less tedious like making whetstones infinite,and making sprint infinite outside of battle. also at first i was weary of the firefly mechanic but playing it now i see its necessary for a high density HD environment. Without it you wouldn't be able to spot pretty much any resources because how the plants and stuff all blend together.

Ergoknight1 on Xbox One if anyone wants to hunt together

• I gotta say... for all the times Diablos killed me in the beta, it feels REALLY good to smash him in the face with an ice hammer.

• I just started playing this game. I normally don't play games like this because I normally hate gameplay loops (i.e. MMOs, Destiny, Borderlands, etc), but the combat and how the environments affect combat looked intriguing enough for me to pick it up and give it a go.

I'm so lost. I have sooooo many materials I don't know what to do with them. My fights can take anywhere from 20-40 minutes and I'm never sure if I'm hurting the monster because they don't get beat up or react much to my attacks until they start limping near the end. Not saying I won't like it, but I feel like I'm attacking a wall with these creatures.

• @DIPSET Monsters have a chance to flinch out of an attack animation when hit by any attack. During long hunts (or if you hit them with exhaust Switch Axes or bullets) they'll start panting and not attack for a few seconds, signaling that they've run low on stamina. What's more, hitting the legs of a monster has a chance to knock it over for a few seconds.

Also, keep in mind that you can knock down flying monsters by equipping a flash pod (auto-crafted from flashbugs) and blinding them while they're flying. It won't work if the monster is looking the other way or has landed though. Flash pods can also stun ground monsters so they attack slower. Hitting flashflies with any attack or effect has the same effect, they're just stationary.

Oh, and it's just generally useful to use a whetstone when your sharpness dips below green!

• @Haru17

Thanks for the tips.

See this game is so deep I can't wrap my head around so many systems. I'm getting better and ended up mopping the floor with a few monsters since making my last post. I'm using the Insect Glave (Bone III). I love the moveset and the way it controls, but I still haven't fully comprehended how to use my insects to my advantage. I know I'm aiming and shooting them out but I'm never fully sure if I'm doing anything because these purple bugs linger afterwards and I feel like I can do something with them. One of my bugs deals damage and the other apparently heals me but I don't know how to discern which ones I'm controlling.

I've screwed around in the practice room and still haven't fully figured out how to control the bugs.

I've never been so confused with a game since Demon's Souls (which later became one of my favourite games of all time) so hopefully I can start to figure this game out and add it to my list of games I'm passionate about. My main problem is that I always feel like I'm not doing something properly.

• @DIPSET If it makes you feel better, it took me a solid week before I felt I "got" it and everything just clicked into place in a really beautiful way. You can always browse weapon tutorials online or hell, maybe try mixing it up with another weapon to see if that makes more sense to you. I haven't dove into the "complicated" weapons yet, mostly just Dual Blades, Long Sword, and Hammer, and even if they are what some would deem as simple, they have a lot of nuance that becomes more apparent the more you use them.

• @SabotageTheTruth

I'm already starting to get it a lot more. I was actually farming the Ajarath (Trex guy) by responding to SOS Flares for 2h and the host died in every single session I played in. It was beyond frustrating because I have no rewards for absolutely destroying this monster time and time again.

In the end I realized I'm actually pretty good with my weapon right now. But some people I've played with online have been causing environmental incidents to occur like making boulders fall down a hill and I have absolutely no clue how to do those kinds of things.

I sorta want to learn everything myself, but I also see time as something precious and I may watch some tutorials to skip the learning curve.

• @DIPSET Crazy, you're not the first person on here to mention how terrible it has been playing with randos, yet I've not had that experience. I spent a long while helping with SOS flares for Tobi-Kadachi and Anjanath and we captured those suckers every single time... guess it does just boil down to sheer luck with matchmaking.

Since you mentioned not wanting to be outright told to make some of the environmental effects happen, I'll just mention that your slinger is pretty useful.

• The environmental stuff works almost exactly how you'd expect. It's not very complicated at all.

• I responded to an SOS investigation for Rathalos once, and they were fighting both Rathian and Rathalos at the same time, and we somehow managed to take them both down, and Rathian wasn't even the objective, lol. Guess it's practice for this nasty sounding power couple quest.