Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1/PC)

• The environmental stuff works almost exactly how you'd expect. It's not very complicated at all.

• I responded to an SOS investigation for Rathalos once, and they were fighting both Rathian and Rathalos at the same time, and we somehow managed to take them both down, and Rathian wasn't even the objective, lol. Guess it's practice for this nasty sounding power couple quest.

• The power couple one has a really important reward. Same with the capture quest chain with the dialogue box icon, don't skip them!

• Follow up. I just discovered there is a Weapons Guide in the main menu. I've been using my weapon COMPLETELY WRONG. Surprised I've made it this far. I can fire my insects to do damage, which is what I was doing, but they can also buff me to make me faster and stronger! I never realized this. It's completely changed the way it's played. I wish this info was in the practice mode instead of inside a menu that isn't even the tutorial menu.

As per the environmental stuff, sure I can see where it's possible to drop a boulder on the Anjanath, but I have absolutely no idea how to do it. Shooting rocks/knives doesn't do the trick and some are so far up that I can't reach them. The only person in MANY online sessions I've seen do anything environmental was a gun user.

• @DIPSET Barrel bombs, all attacks and shots, and slinger ammo all work. Heavier environmental stuff (not the boulders) will take two barrel bombs. Keep in mind though that only select environmental elements are destructible.

• Finally have a chance to play this again, plan to be on around 10pm est (hopefully)

• Man, Nergigante is a pushover as a hbg user.

• Just curious but... is there some lore based reason why Kirin is considered an elder dragon? I mean... It's a great design, fun fight, but why in the world is a unicorn called a dragon?

Also, it feels real good to convince a friend to jump into the series for the first time and they also fall in love with Monster Hunter. Plus, it just gives me more opportunities to mess around with different weapons on those low rank hunts.

Also, much love @Haru17 , I would have skipped that Power Couple quest for awhile but you were right, that reward is immensely important!

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1/PC):

Just curious but... is there some lore based reason why Kirin is considered an elder dragon? I mean... It's a great design, fun fight, but why in the world is a unicorn called a dragon?

The game states that things that can't be classified are filed under "elder dragon". Also IRL a Kirin is generally portrayed with dragon like features, in the game the Kirin even has scales. A Kirin is not a unicorn (as in a horse with a horn).
    But basically elder dragons are rare and powerful mystical creatures with no exact origin.

• I want to know how many teams lose to Nergigante every day, today i tried 6 times with a full team and won once!!

• @a7x458 Y'know, I beat him on my first try for my own storyline, grouped up with a bunch of random people, and we didn't even come close to failing. Yet, I've been trying to help my friend pass it for his story quest and.. we just can't. Maybe it's bad luck, bad groups, the stars haven't aligned, but whatever the case is, I know he's been getting super frustrated with it.

I'm personally a little tired of the double Bezelguese fight, but looking around online, it looks like I'm not the only one. Just gotta keep trying I guess. And I'll be working on getting some blast resistant armor.

• Global Moderator

@a7x458 I had some issues with him, I did however down him on my first run (with sime EZA people) I think the biggest issue is to get a decent enough armor and upgrade it so you can take the hits! Nergigante hits like a truck and got 2 major attacks whichs are hard no matter the gear.

• Funny how the difficulty varies according to your weapon of choice. Stuff like Diablos, Nergigante, and Bezelgeuse are super easy for me as heavy bowgun, but I have a hell of a time with Rathian and Rathalos, and their variants. I also had a much harder time with Teostra than I did with any of the other elder dragons.

• I really really really really really really really really wish Monster Hunter would do some crossover stuff with Godzilla characters. Taking down Ghidorah with a big ol' hammer? It just sounds like an absolute perfect combination.

• Just started getting tempered investigations at HR44 . I tended not to go out on expeditions in recent times I guess I missed out activating them earlier.
    Is it random or something though? I was collecting tempered Rathian and Barroth tracks at Wildspire and the first investigation I got was for Radobaan then Anjanath (useful for the latest limited bounties at least)

• Well, making it into the session, and having Ben, Ian, and Huber accompany me on a tempered Barroth hunt was a bit surreal. It's also kinda weird being able to see the stream lag and what's actually happening in real time.

• Anyone checked out the arena quests from the arena lass in the gathering hub? There are two sets of armor you can only get from doing those quests, for anyone interested in fashion hunting, lol.

• @minamik i tried the Rathian/Rathalos one but got destroyed, and if i remember correctly i finished the one with kill flying small monsters with Tizitzi ya ku roaming around, i don't care about the armors but if i want to get the platinum i have to do 50.

• @minamik said in Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1/PC):

Anyone checked out the arena quests from the arena lass in the gathering hub? There are two sets of armor you can only get from doing those quests, for anyone interested in fashion hunting, lol.

There are 3(4). Low rank Guild armor version, High rank Guild armor a/b versions and a seperate piece of Guild armor. While I think they look kinda neat, the skills they give is pretty bad. Same deal with the armor you can craft from the quest you get after Completing every optional quest up to and including 8 Stars. It's a pity, but nothing has replaced my Xeno'jiva armor with earplugs, we'll see if Deviljho's armor will.
    Some of the guildweapons you can craft from the arena coins seem pretty good though, like the Longsword is possibly the best LS in terms of raw damage, especially if you plop a non-elemental boost decoration in there.