Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1/PC)

• alt text

@Jamicov There faux-open world definitely isn't too listless. The Ancient Forest is one dense, metroidvanian map, but you can't walk from it into the other areas. (Expect 4 other areas, most Monster Hunter generations start with 5; a forest, a desert, an ice area, a volcano, and another swampy foresty place that varies.) I think you can see the town in the reveal footage though, off in the distance when the hunter is sneaking up behind the Anjanath.

Time limits — which I don't love personally — and the 3-death hunt game over are still there, as well as the crafting progression, so I think World's progression will be exactly as compelling as any other Monster Hunter game.

• I want to adjust the brightness of the video. seems hard to watchh

• According to a translation of an interview with a French site, Capcom judge Monster Hunter World to have the most content of any game in the series.

What that content is and how they weight it who knows. The only reference we have on that beyond extrapolation from past entries is how they claim the new maps are 2.5 times the size of maps in previous Monster Hunter games, while still maintaining density in those environments.

• The larger map size will drastically affect the grind for monster parts it seems. blood splatter used to indicate how much damage looks to be gone too. And could you always change direction mid charge of the GS?

• @Almond-Roy Who knows how the drop rates have been changed. And they have definitely added a tilt to the Great Sword while charging. In past games you could only slightly tilt the unleashed charge while it was flying toward a monster.

• @Haru17 I'm glad to see how excited you are about the game by the way since you look like a long time player. But it's false advertisement to label it a open world game if they still have a time limit, 3 cart limit and not connect the 4 main areas. Any word on if the hunts are still mission based?

• @Almond-Roy It's not being called an open world game, and the directors have denied that in interviews. I had that impression initially because the announcement and subtitle lined up too well with the rumors of an 'open world' Monster Hunter 5 coming to PS4 and not Switch, but the rumor gets a few things wrong and doesn't seem to be what this is.

In truth the World concept is a few different things;

• The series forgoing numbered installments as to not intimidate new players.
    • The unifying of the regional servers on each platform into a global whole and the first global release date in the series giving everyone the ability to play together.
    • The focus on the 2.5 times larger maps, environmental interaction, and AI that allows them to create fantasy ecosystems.

• @Haru17 whew, I was mislead then, good to hear.

• Apparently demon mode now makes dual blades users grip one of the blades backhanded: anime style.

• Youtube Video

The first public gameplay (not counting the leak) will be streamed tonight at 3:30 am PST. The vod will be up tomorrow on Capcom's Japanese YouTube.

• 15 minute warning for the gameplay demo. Gonna go and watch it now~

• alt text

It's secret hidden image from the website time! You can see a darker version of this as the banner behind the social media icons at the bottom of the page.

I'll link the Reddit thread that first discovered it and has a lot more blow-by-blow analysis, but I'm just psyched for some cool MH story where the cycles of the moon play a part. Moreover, it seems to indicate a volcano, ruins, and desert area along with a crazy sea wyvern fight.

• Youtube Video

New gameplay is out! Here's what I noticed:

• Lip sync obviously isn't in the game yet, don't pitch a fit.
    • New smaller monster which Kogath called a 'Kestodon.
    • New bird monsters in the demo title screen and in the tidal flats, not sure if they're intractable or not.
    • Larger monsters don't attack each other all of the time, sometimes they will flee
    • Anjanath has really interesting, highly specific kick and tail whip animations.
    • Larger monsters can break different paths open.
    • The stunned status is now similar to monsters, with players able to stumble around while afflicted.
    • Great sword charged swings are the finisher or down attack at the end of a mount.
    • Cutting damage from mount finishers can sever tails, presumably break other parts.
    • This player isn't great.
    • Wyvern fire rounds tho.
    • Large monster attacks cause ripples across the jungle gym vines terrain first seen in Monster Hunter 4. From what I can tell they don't seem to directly affect the hunter.

• Youtube Video

Capcom showed off a short video at the SDCC panel today containing hunting horn, light bow gun, switch axe, gunlance, long sword, and great sword gameplay. They verbally explained that humidity would play a role in the environments as well as the usual temperature concerns. And crucially that they will be following up Comic Con with weapon trailers, perhaps similar to the ones Cross got leading up to its Japanese launch.

Source is someone who attended: https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/6ovdol/sdcc_meetup_summary

• What they said about humidity is really exciting to me, because at minimum it means it won't affect gameplay but there will be some more ocean or river-side areas (adjacent, not under). And at the most it will affect monster pathing, spawning, and behavior in areas like the Ancient Forest's ocean shore.

Also, their comments about temperature returning all but confirm a tundra/mountain area and a desert/volcano one. The desert's hot during the day, cold at night dynamic could become really interesting with a fluid day/night cycle and temperature effects. Sort of like what we saw in Breath of the Wild's desert, except in that game you were never doing one thing for more than 5 minutes. With monster hunts lasting up to an hour, chasing a monster through the desert, I'm excited to see how that might make us change up our equipment strategy.

Maybe they'll make the crafting recipe for the drinks more attainable in each area, or maybe there will be a new temperature endurance system entirely. I didn't like just equipping a shirt and forgetting about it in Breath of the Wild. The more I think about a desert, the more confidant I am that one will be in World, especially given that tapestry globe that alluded to desert/ruins/volcano. I wonder how they'll separate the areas in a seamless desert / tundra map. They need to not be flat besides perhaps a central 'great desert' area with some dune-diving monsters.

I wonder if it can rain or snow in this game. I hope so...

• Youtube Video

Someone taped the whole SDCC panel. Watch it before it gets taken down maybe (although I guess they didn't take down the last one).

• Some highlights from the leaked presentation:

• Great Jagras' core design was based off of a bigger Jagras (bosses that relate to their hench-monsters like this are my favorite).

• Anjanath's core design was based off of the concept of a feathered dinosaur (hence his T-rex skeleton).

• The Ancient Forest map concept was one of the first things the team worked on for World, and it is one of the first fields in the game. They mapped out high and low humidity zones which became the preferred habitat for the predators and herbivores respectively. Anjanath and Rathalos wouldn't meet regularly given their separate zones and elevations on the map.

• The team visited Australia to concept the plant life, there are a lot of pieces in art in the presentation.

• The team visited a reptile zoo to learn how to animate reptilian monsters in World.

• (Speculation: So maybe a lot of dragons? I really get the feeling that Anjanath and Felynes won't be the only place we'll be seeing fur. It's about to get The Last Guardian up in here.)

• Hunters can fire nuts from the slinger to stampede Aptonoth, which in turn are a constant draw for monsters like Great Jagras. That's next level. I can't wait to see if Rathalos and the as-of-yet unseen flying monsters haul their prey up into the sky or not.

• Youtube Video

Someone just dumped all 14 weapon preview videos on Capcom's Japanese YouTube. They're each around 35 seconds long, and probably the most nuts addition is the insect glaive's new aerial game.

• alt text

Fuck your double jump XD

Now onto all the new armor sets shown as most of them should correspond to new monsters. For starters, the charge axe trailer confirms Rathian will be in. That's the only returning armor set / monster I've noted and should be expected as both Rathalos and Rathian are in every Monster Hunter game.

alt text

alt text

The hunter in the dual blades trailer is wearing a strange indigo armor that's almost reminiscent of Nakarkos' astral set. Similarly, the switch axe trailer hunter is garbed in strange blue caped knight armor with insect-like feelers stretching back from his brow. My guess for these two would be that they relate to two new aquatic monsters, though of course underwater has been confirmed to be absent from World so the fights would have to take place on land. They could also be from something along the lines of bioluminescent cave creatures.

alt text

alt text

The light bow gun and hunting horn hunters are garbed in two different armor sets (the blademaster / gunner division is gone in this game so it isn't just two versions of the same monster's set) with a lot of fluffy white fur. At this point it seems safe to say that we have an ice area.

There is also a tan armor with a midriff, feather details on her glaive and, a veil covering the insect glaive hunter's mouth that's pretty evocative of a desert. The gunlance hunter is wearing thick plate mail armor that looks like something you would craft from Tetsucabra. The other armors that I didn't think to remark on are at the bottom of this album I made for World.