Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

• @Lotias It's sooo good.

But no, not really worth the perfect scores imo. There's a lot of Mario tropes that is starting to really stretch themselves thin. Boss battles is a big thing for me. They're uninspired, just in the way, and not innovative at all, and can we pleeeeeeease have SOMEONE that doesn't die in three hits? Most of the moons are great, but as expected there's a lot of them who feel a bit too collectathony, and I actually enjoyed collecting stars in 3D world more. There's also this lack of difficulty. And most of all, there's a feeling of one-trick-pony in most of the stages and objectives. Sections are excellent, but then you're "done" with them. Aside from NDC, there is not many places that I'd feel I can return to and just goof around time and time again. Like a planet in Galaxy, the feel and physique of the gravity can have me constantly returning to one planet and just enjoy that mechanic over and over again. Odyssey have a bit of an unfortunate lack of places like that, which is a shame.

To end on a positive note, the Cap mechanic doesn't feel gimmicky at all, it just ties super fluently into the momentum, and every capture is more awesome than the last. At times, It's pure genius. . The Mario 64 control scheme is back with a vengeance.
    I'm also pleasurably surprised at how tranquil it is. You'd think it would be non stop mayhem but there's a lot of Pikmin-vibe places where you could just stay for minutes and enjoy the atmosphere.
    Better that M64? It's a matter of taste, But better, and improving on some of the design philosophies, than Sunshine? No doubt.

• Told myself I'd just play the tutorial area on my 4 hour break between jobs.....I ended up a hour late to work yesterday.

• I beat the game.

Huber is going to flip his shit.

• @Alexandra_Nilsson_T oh shit, my signature is contradicting myself here ......

• I'm enjoying the game alot, this my first 3D mario game and i get why people like them, but the bosses are too easy, i defeated almost all of bosses so far in my first try and only one bosses killed me twice.

PS my favorite part is finding the Captain.

• Man, I love New Donk City so much.

• ugh so i was just reading that you should be using the motion controls and that there is definitely moves you wont be able to do if you disable them. I have no issue with motion controls but i play my switch in handheld mode all the time. How is it without using the motion controls? Can i play 90 percent of the game with them off? Do you lose some of the experience? Am i doomed to have to hook it up to my tv lol?

• @CGamor7 None of the motion control-based moves have really felt necessary to me so far. I haven't really put any to any real use besides the spin though and even that one I just do because it looks cool.

• @CGamor7 Also I've read that most of these moves have a button-based equivalent (possibly harder to pull off though). I' a bit mixed on the motion controls myself in this game, it sometimes feels fun but I've also triggered some moves accidentally cause I scratched my ear or something and that can be annoying.

But it's a very minor thing, don't worry the game is perfectly playable in handheld.

• Finally a reason to be glad of my Switch, this game really is good.

I personally don't put it above Sunshine or 64 though, but it does come close. Noteworthy issues so far are things such as the abundance of checkpoints, lack of a lives system and just the general ease of everything. The biggest issue to me though is just how many moons they put in the game. 64 and sunshine had a limited amount of main collectables, allowing each one to have a memorable and enjoyable challenge associated to each one. This game however has a few memorable challenges, but most moons are found in simple and boring locations that you may stumble across.

• @Sheria yea i think a system like 64 where if u died you started at the first again would work better its not like these worlds are huge

• How does the

Sonic Adventure

song have such a boring title? I mean Jump Up, Super Star! Had two XD.

• 0_1509447815325_1509446897515.jpg

GG Ninty.

• Sunshine is still better.

• @Yoshi said in Super Mario Odyssey (Switch):

Sunshine is still better.

alt text

• @Yoshi You are objectively, subjectively and universally wrong.

• I have a question to anyone who finished the game

How many moons can buy from shops sfter beating the game?

• Global Moderator

Even though I dont have a switch or played Mario properly in a long time I found the review to be super jolly and I feel that im getting closer and closer into buying one

• HOLY SHIT what an interesting ending!

I'm so surprised that they decided to add a bit of nuance to the characters, and surprised that they portrayed Mario as such a douchebag.
    I mean, Mario's stories has always been creepy - big-ass mean crocodile bloke is assaulting a young girl and drags her to his castle doing god-knows-what without consent.
    But the entire marriage premise makes Odyssey even more creepy. It's not about love at all, it's about entitlement and oppression. You learn to despise Bowser..
    .. BUT. At the end, when they both tries to force themselves onto Peach, you realize that Mario isn't that much better! That he, too, feels entitled to Peach and treats her inferiorly, and that maybe he too, when 'rescuing her' is also subjugating her to god-knows-what without consent.

And I was so happy when Peach finally decided to tell them to snuff it and treat her with respect. And it was such a weirdly touching scene when Mario and Bowser was actually comforting one another.

Here, I actually thought that Bowser would learn his lesson, and that they would forgive him. And that he would follow you in the odyssey! And imagine if, post game, you could be able to possess bowser anytime, in any level! How COOL would that be?! But nope, we end with Mario just kicking him off, and acting like he's the better man.. which he isn't.

And for the rest of post game, I was always so happy whenever i saw Peach, free of the boys' hassles, on her own, and perfectly content :') )

There's much more to say.. too much. I'm glad now, this game is so EMOTIONAL. Like, instead of relying on well-written plot, or acting, or tear-jerking orchestras, it manages to convey so much emotion just by being pure, pure fun. So when the game finally grants you a moment of melancholia and peace, you tear up just because you've grown so attached to this game because of how much fun you've had with it, and not through plot or dialogue.

This entire thing is expert-tier game design. Bravo, Nintendo <333