Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

• @Haru17 I believe [real spoilers below]

the hidden in the scrap robot is supposed to be the remains of the Mechawiggler you fought when you first traveled to New Donk City.

[real spoilers above]

• Global Moderator

@Mbun cool! thats some really good things you bring up there. Glad to see that they are making it fun and cool, as I mentioned before, when it comes to "popular" series I am sometimes worried they get a high score just because they are so popular. But what you say sounds genuinely fun

• @Musou-Tensei said in Super Mario Odyssey (Switch):

@Yoshi You are objectively, subjectively and universally wrong.

Very strange, because he's spot on...

• @Yoshi said in Super Mario Odyssey (Switch):

Sunshine is still better.

You, I like you!
    I got your back!

• Hit 100% in Odyssey tonight. Satisfying game overall, although beat it much quicker than I expected to mostly thanks to stuff like Hint Toads and Talkatoo. I know there's a 101% that involves grinding coins to buy Power Moons to 999 that gives you an extra little reward, but no thanks. Popped the cart out, and back to Splatoon 2 with me until Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

• @Mbun resorting to using hint toads. for shame.

• @Yoshi Shame indeed, but less shame than using an IGN guide or worst of all getting frustrated at how obscure things are and never finishing it. In a year with an absolute abundance of good games to play to occupy my time, I can forgive myself for accepting hints that are part of the game itself and cost fifty coins a pop.

• @Mbun I could never justify spending 50 coins on a moon but that's probably just because I'm still like 7,000 coins out from being able to buy a costume I'm saving up for.

• @DeweyDTruman GameXplain has a video with a good grind spot for that particular outfit or people going for 101%, but yea it's something I used sparingly for that reason. Only for those last hard to find ones in some Kingdoms.

Who needs coins when you can scan your Waluigi Amiibo for the best outfit in the game?

• Guys, let's play favorites! what's your fave kingdom and thing to possess?

My kingdoms:

1. (endgame) >!

2. New Donk City! So much fun and soo dense, and I love how you can bounce off of literally everything . Also, the festival <3333

3. Probably Bowser's Kingdom the music is insane! And...

My possessions.

1. ... The woodpecker! It needs it's own spinoff game, seriously. Captain Pecker: Treasure Poker.

2. The wiggler. So comfy and cozy and cute! rrrittttt.italicised text

3. Probably the >! Spoiler

• Getting a little frustrated with the last level. For a game that has more than enough checkpoints it would be nice to have at least one here.

• @Alexandra_Nilsson_T Sounds like Spoiler City but...

Favorite Kingdoms:

1. Mushroom Kingdom: All that attention to detail nostalgia hit me in just the right way and was the perfect 1-up to the ending sequence, and beyond that it actually contained some of the most fun content for me like the harder boss refights and Nintendo's way of putting achievements in Odyssey.

2. I'm struggling between Seaside Kingdom and Lake Kingdom, because they're both beautiful and to my surprise actually fun water levels in a platformer. Who knew that was possible? Even harder to decide between them when I equally love mermaids and carbonated beverages.

3. Whatever came up second in 2, but that's boring so I'll say the Cap Kingdom. The music and style of that Kingdom was something I loved from the first time we saw it in promotional materials. I love Cappy and his people. When I went back there postgame and it had expanded from a tutorial level into it's own real Kingdom with it's own Regional Coins and that awesome Black Tuxedo for Mario along with Paragoombas to fly around and explore the cloud areas I couldn't have been happier. If only the Ruined and Cloud Kingdoms opened up as much as Cap Kingdom did.

My least favorite Kingdom was easily the Wooded Kingdom, although I'll admit when you're 100%ing Kingdoms postgame, Shiveria the Snow Kingdom falls completely apart as the most boring Kingdom, not including the ones you unlock with Moons. The blizzard there never should've stopped, so at least there would've been an illusion of a unique Kingdom there.

Favorite Capture Targets: (Nintendo's official language for the ability since possession sounds evil to some)

1. If I can immediately cheat a little, Goombas including Paragoombas. The way the Goombas get confused if you jump behind them is just so damn cute, and being able to stack them up into these hilariously big towers by jumping onto them lead to some truly interesting platforming. Seriously, there's both environment platforming AND bossfights that use the Goomba stacking. Then you had the female Goomba (Goombette) puzzles where you had to figure out how to get a captured Goomba to her all in the name of Goomba love, and because Mario is pretty much the grim reaper to a poor little, innocent Goomba so Goombette understandably hightails it outta there if Mario even approaches her. Oh and Goombas are so awesome I even forgot their innate special ability, traction. Not slipping on ice is very welcome. Now to the cheating part, lumping Paragoombas into this. I knew we'd fly in this game with Bullet Bills, but I did not expect they'd give us a Paragoomba, multiple even. Yes, they were nerfed to only be able to gain vertical height to the spot they spawned at as to not break other Moons, but it was still super fun flapping around as them.

2. This game made me appreciate Cheep Cheeps. Something I've never liked in video games is timers. Being on a timer stresses me out. Being on a timer in an awkward environment is even worse, and generally why water levels usually absolutely suck in these kinds of games. I love you Tropical Freeze, but even your tranquil water levels stress me the hell out when running out of breath is an instant death. This game is way more forgiving with it's breath meter, but 95% of the time in this game it doesn't matter because simply tossing your good pal Cappy onto a Cheep Cheep instantly shoos away the dreaded breath meter and allows you to explore beautiful underwater environments at your leisure with a level of speed and control only a fish could offer. Yet Cheep Cheeps in Odyssey are even better than that. They can leap out of the water impressively like they've been known to do in past games, often terrorizing bridges in the process. They can withstand freezing water temperatures. Thank you evolution. Just all that would already make me love them, and I did when playing the game until I realized they can freaking tornado attack if you waggle. At first I would jump Mario out to ground pound shiny spots, then hop back in my Cheep Cheep underwater luxury jeep, but eventually I noticed that wasn't even necessary, because Cheep Cheeps are the MVP of water environments, all purpose fish friends.

3. Chain Chomps, because I LOVE Chain Chomps. I've always loved Chain Chomps and always will. I'd buy a Chain Chomp Amiibo if they released one tomorrow. I wish you could free them like you could in 64, but even without being able to set them free this game just offering the opportunity to finally become and control an entity of the Mario universe I've loved for so long was something I knew would be personally special to me way before I ever turned the game on. Little did I know I'd be getting my hands on them very quickly as they're a big focus of the very first legit Kingdom you come to during the story, and the puzzle bits involving them were indeed amusing and didn't overstay their welcome. PSA: Do NOT run the T-Rex over the Chain Chomps. They did nothing wrong and are being very good Chomps minding their own business in their limited territory of existence. Show some fucking respect.

Least favorite Capture Target would be a boring answer, like duh those stupid M A R I O letters in New Donk City or the rock in Wooded Kingdom that's just a rock you move a tiny bit, etc. More interesting discussion is biggest disappointment, which for me is Glydon. His controls really annoyed me. Designwise he reminds me of this bad cycle Nintendo is going in deriving other creatures from essentially Yoshi's look tweaked that started with the redesign of Dorrie, continued to Plessie, and now we've got Glydon. Worst of all he has no personality to speak of and just is a braindead flight zombie who screams SKREEEEEEE. Absolutely nothing interesting happens around Glydon in the game. He's just a means to getting to some annoying Moons the third time you try when he finally takes off right and you don't immediately lose a bunch of height trying to activate his reason for existence, which by the way he's terrible at since he controls like garbage. Go home Glydon, you're drunk, and if you're not you should be.

@Ikataishou Git Gud

Champion's Road in 3D World is insanely harder and much less forgiving than Darker Side. At least Darker Side has multiple opportunities to earn a double heath powerup in addition to lots of hidden refill hearts here and there. Darker Side's challenges don't all involve deadly bottomless pits that instantly make you start over either. Plus Odyssey's perspective allows you to actually platform easier in addition to Cappy's get out of trouble free abilities. It's honestly not tough at all if you just keep trying, learn each section through careful study / trial and error, take it slow, and manage your health wisely. The payoff for beating it is quite satisfying as well. I wish more parts of Odyssey were built like Darker Side is built. Also, don't be fooled, the hardest accomplishment in Odyssey isn't beating Darker Side. 100 volleyball returns for the second Moon there is brutal and having to start over slowly from 1 every time you fail drags it out so much.

• Global Moderator

Someone posted this video in the twitch chat and I thought it was quite funny... a new touch on the mario game

Youtube Video

• @Lotias OH MY GOD THAT MADE MY DAY xD Thanks for posting this gem :D

• Global Moderator

@jipostus Haha youre welcome! yeah it made me laugh like nothing else too! Well worth a watch :D

• Just did the 100 in Volleyball. ... Does it count if you come up with enabling 2-player mode yourself?

• Global Moderator

I'm a little late with thoughts on Odyssey so I probably won't go too in depth on the game as I'm sure most people have already discussed just how excellent this game is. So I'll try to condense it down to some things I really loved and the things I disliked about Odyssey.

So I'm going to start with the negative and end on a positive because when I talk about this game, I come across as negative even though I had a brilliant time playing it. To preface, I played about 99% of this game in handheld mode.

My biggest issue with Odyssey is just how easy this game is. Now I know, Mario games aren't necessarily difficult however there is usually a decent bit of extra content that is particularly challenging. The post game content in Odyssey is really lacking;

a boss rush mode (I'll get onto how disappointing these guys are later) and a genuinely difficult level where you have to start over if you die. That's it. I collected all the moons and it really wasn't worth it.

Which segways to another issue I have. The game has too many moons. They are really fun to get when you go through that world for the first time and a lot of them are really creative. However there's also a huge portion which is just slam the ground that's glowing, chase the rabbit, just talk to an NPC. They just feel like they were put in there to make you feel good about collecting something but for me they took away and made me less interested in getting a difficult one because they're all worth the same value (bar the multi ones for beating a boss or whatever). This is where I get into comparison territory. I know that some people didn't love how Galaxy would alter a map depending on the Star you go for but that focus on a specific star always felt rewarding. You were in that area trying to find it while with Odyssey, you can walk along a bit and get loads of moons for nothing really. The fact that you can buy moons in the store kinda says it all for me. Just too many.

I'll spoiler all this since it talks about post main game stuff but I wouldn't really say it's a spoiler.

So, when you do complete the story, you can go back to the previous Kingdom and collect even more moons. I don't love this already since they generally throw a lot of moons into a level but what's actually worse is they take away the best thing about the game, they pinpoint exactly where all these new moons are. So what was initially a great game to explore and discover in, has really just become a checklist. Open the map, go to where the moon is marked, collect and repeat. It's just takes the fun completely out of it. I think all of this really just shows my disappointment at the post story content. Galaxy spoiled me with some fantastic additional levels to play.

The bosses are really boring. We don't really get any information on them to care at all about them and while a lot of the boss fights look fantastic, they are really simplistic and what I found to be really boring fights. I might be alone on this as I talked with some friends who seemed to love them while I found them a chore.

And now the positive! The core game absolutely nails discovery. Going to a new Kingdom for the first time feels great. You have the linear objective but you're generally free to just go around and explore as much as you want too. So capturing the different npcs and finding moons and coins is so much fun. Easily my favourite part of the game and I'd usually try to collect at least 50% of the items before I'd move on.

The moons you had to find through picutres/art are really cool. I wish there was more of this just in the same level you found the art in.

I really should have started off with movement. It's always felt great to control Mario and now having those few extra moves to reach further places or improve your times in races. As usual with newer games, Mario has never felt as good to control.

The extra challenge, don't really want to say more but it was very fun to tackle that considering I felt overall, there was a serious lack of challenge.

New Donk City! Have to say I didn't expect it to be my favourite world since we'd already seen a bunch of it but it was fantastic.

The soundtrack has some great moments. The forest and Ice Kingdoms in particular, loved those.

Just how creative a lot of the captures were. Some people have said you could build a game around some of those. I feel like those people might have missed the point because that's exactly what they did. The game is constantly adding and adapting depending on what new movesets you have due to whoever you captured. Each new world is it's own new playground with those moves and that helps keep the game really exciting.

Edit: There might be lots of these. This game has the best Princess Peach I can remember, that is all.

So yes, overall Odyssey is a fantastic game and it's absolutely worth playing. For me, I loved it but maybe I've been spoiled or nostalgia is getting to me because I just loved the pure joy I got out of platforming in the Galaxy series and how focused they were. I think that's definitely a preference thing, one is not better than the other, it's just how I like it. Now, where's the dlc nintendo!?

• @tokeeffe9 The best Princess Peach is in the other game where she marries Bowser.

Odyssey Peach was pretty okay for a damsel though.

• @tokeeffe9 said:

This game has the best Princess Peach I can remember

Ignoring spinoffs, I'd agree if you got to do postgame as Peach, but since she's still a damsel in this game I gotta give the nod to 3D World where she's one of the main heroes. Also, I know Peach was kidnapped in the first place and all, but she sure shows Mario zero respect for going on his adventure to save her at the end. Not saying oh of course she owes him a kiss, ew of course not, but I like other games where she bakes him a cake or something as a friendly thank you for risking his life out there for her.

Peach aside, I feel so done with this game. Was fun for your first 100% playthrough, but there's just too many bloat Moons in this game that didn't need to exist for me to ever feel like I wanna go back years from now and replay this game again, not to mention a large portion of it being easy. Got my money's worth and enjoyed my time with it, but I just don't see myself holding this game alongside the other 3D Mario greats in the long term. I'm sure right now that's a very unpopular opinion to state, and some people even think this game should be GOTY, but in time I think you'll see public opinion of this game shift as the honeymoon wears off.