Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

• Looks like Simplygames in the UK has shipped their pre-orders early so many have their copies today. Knew about this yesterday (thanks to Eurogamer forums) so I could have theoretically been playing this tonight after work. Held back because I prefer to own this digitally. Reaction over on Eurogamer is exactly as I would hope. Not long now.

• Edge gives the game 10. This is one game you need to play first really. Galaxy reviews / Sunshine reviews. I just cant trust them these days.

• @Sheria said in Super Mario Odyssey (Switch):

Edge gives the game 10. This is one game you need to play first really. Galaxy reviews / Sunshine reviews. I just cant trust them these days.

its nintendo and mario. it will automatically get 10 even if its not good. its just a brand.
    just like if game is called GTA and get 10 from every where.

• Looking forward to playing this again. Got to play it at Eurogamer's EGX and it's amazing. That Edge 10 score probably won't be the only 10.

• Not clear on what Sheria meant about not trusting reviews, but I have to say that a 10 doesn't mean much in this case. Mario and Zelda are nostalgia. Every AAA mainline 3D sequel will get a 10 from many different sites and will be good to great. A 10 doesn't tell us how good to great though, so Edge might as well be forecasting the sun rising yet again.

• @Axel said in Super Mario Odyssey (Switch):

HOLY ****!!! 98 Opencritic!!

http://opencritic.com/game/4504/super-mario-odyssey

Hooo baby, this is going to be incredible

• @Axel

It's a brand new main mario game, what did you expect?

I'll get this one day when I get a switch, but take nintendo and other large franchise review scores with a grain of salt.

I know when I review my favorite series, their scores are a tad higher than had it been a new IP due to my love for the series.

If this was a brand new IP I doubt it would be getting 98, probably lower 90's.

• @Axel I expected 92-93.... but 98. WoW

• @ACardAttack You can be cynical all you want, personally I expected 94-95 which is already amazing, but 98 places it as one of the highest-rated games of all time.

And even though brand loyalty may sway some reviewers to score it higher, it can just as easily make others more critical. So no, it's not a given to get near-perfect review scores just by slapping the Mario name on the box.

It's an incredible achievement.

• Welp, off to buy a Switch!

• I really want a Switch. Nintendo has managed to win me over after I was so skeptical around the launch of the system. There are still some nagging issues I have with the Switch like the under-cooked online infrastructure and the overpriced peripherals. But must have games are piling up and that's the most important thing. I really hope Nintendo takes the success of Mario + Rabbids to heart because that's exactly what they should be doing when it comes to third party support. Getting ports of Skyrim and Doom is nice and all... but fostering partnerships with third party companies to create exclusive games that take full advantage of Nintendo's platform and IPs is the way to go. You combine that with games like Breath of the Wild and Odyssey and the promise of Pokemon, Metroid, etc... the Switch will be impossible to avoid.

• Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

• @Light yeah I think to much importance gets placed on third party ports. Mostly everyone is going yo be playing third party games on a console or PC with higher fidelity. While I don't think they should ignore getting these games, especially if ppl want them, but what's going to sell this console and what will be remembered most about it Is the first and third party exclusives that are made for it.

I'm not big into Mario. Never had the chance to play because I had a Sega then PlayStation. These games don't usually do much for me (Ironically enough I liked super Mario run...) but I want to see of this game will make me a believer lol. I'll play it after AC.

• @Axel
    Metacritic even went down for a bit when the reviews started coming in lol.

• @Axel

Call it being cynical all you want, but I call it being more realistic. I know playing games in a favorite franchise can also invoke memories of the past that make something more enjoyable.

I'm not saying this is a bad game or it doesn't deserve GOTY mention, just that one should take reviews of big franchises with a grain of salt. Mario, Zelda, GTA, MGS, etc all seem to get rated very highly when its a highly anticipated game.

Hell Sonic Mania was so much more enjoyable for me because of my love for the 2d sonic games. It alone is a good/great game, but nostalgia is a powerful thing and made me enjoy it in ways those who never grew up with the 2d sonic games won't. There is a reason sequels are seen as better investments than new IPs

Pro Jared gave the game an 8/10 for anyone interested

• @ACardAttack

I think there are some more balanced reviews on Open Critic if you sift through them. Main criticisms are that the there's a lack of challenging platforming and the game focuses too much on Cappy and the things you can do with him.

All the basics are there, spin jumps and what-not, it's just the game never asks or gives you the opportunity to really exercise your mastery of the platforming mechanics.

And to be fair, I can appreciate that it represents a strange juxtaposition. 64 was straight up platforming and Sunshine was mainly platforming but with a bunch of added mechanics on top of that platforming, and sometimes the game even went back to pure platforming.

In general, it feels like maybe Cappy is more integral to the experience than some people would like, and in order to make room for Cappy, they've sacrificed some of the core Mario experience.

I haven't played it though, that's just a summary of various not-so-raving reviews I've read. Maybe there's some cool post-game content or some-such.

• I just snagged my copy. Hoping for something great
    šŸ˜Š

• I appreciate how Nintendo has used empty space in Breath of the Wild and Odyssey.

I think there is an inherent value in empty space. More importantly, everything in Odyssey tries to make you really look at it. They can't put too much mindless decoration because it'd be too difficult to focus/find on the puzzles. Horizon Zero Dawn has a super crowded environment that looks gorgeous, but for the most part almost all of it doesn't have any impact on the player. You learn to just ignore it and it's only useful for decoration, your mind doesn't engage in any of it when you look at it.

When you spend 30 seconds (or whatever) running across empty space to somewhere, it builds anticipation when you reach your destination. Your mind is looking at it with different perspective than if it was right next to the town and you walked over 3 seconds. To be surprised when you go around a corner or up a hill, and for that surprise to be satisfying/have value, there also has to be times when you didn't find anything.

3D games were extremely new with SM64, and I don't think it would be necessary to spread things apart to create that same effect. They are super common these days, and if things were crowded I think a huge portion of players would just run past stuff.

Personally I see a lot of reviewers skip over things like this.

• @ACardAttack - Mario games and their review scores. For comparison.
    0_1509133176643_upload-184539dc-6c3d-4fc1-b07a-12fc623fb458