Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

• @kwozymoto they are 2 different games when it comes to sound design. I think mario will have some ambient music but its not going to be as impact full as a zelda game. What I mean byt that is that zelda is an adventure game with mood and other things tell a store where mario (to me at least) is about fun and jumping around where you just want a nice chip tune in the background.

• @fettouhi I mean it's not like I'm making assumptions, they really have gone with a mostly ambient soundtrack. Watch any of the gameplay videos and you'll see. The person demonstrating the game even makes note of it here:

Youtube Video – [07:28..]

Some music comes in later when she reaches the construction platforms but overall it doesn't seem to appear a lot. Even New Donk City just has sounds of traffic and stuff with no music and the Mexican level is the same deal. Your response is exactly the kind of thing I'm expecting to see more of once people start to take notice, I think it will be pretty contentious

• @Haru17
    I just spent the last hour singing along to that.......I hope Nintendo will release the OST

• @kwozymoto you are saying you are expecting this kind of response. is that meant as something negative or positive?

• Hmm, we haven't seen gameplay until now so I hadn't noticed the ambient noises in place of music. They play a track during the heavier platforming area with the orange metal, but not anywhere else in the wooded level. Hopefully Odyssey's soundtrack is good to listen to in game and not just on YouTube's like all of Breath of the Wild's best tracks that only play once during its pitifully short story sequences.

• It is settled that I will buy a Switch around November 27th.

• I have always enjoyed the Zelda games but BoTW never really encouraged me to consider buying the Switch. I am not a portable gamer so it really has had no appeal to me. But after seeing the Odyssey presentation I cannot help feel those Mario 64 emotions and am now thinking about picking up a Switch just for those 2 games. Perhaps when it comes down a bit more from £289 closer to Christmas (if it even does)

• @fettouhi Neither, I just meant that I think a lot of people will have a similar opinion to you (ie. Mario should have background music) so I'm expecting Odyssey's use of ambient sounds to be pretty controversial once people start to take notice of it.

• @Musou-Tensei
    Should probably get one around late September or October just to avoid the general holiday rush

• I played the Sand Kingdom level today at E3 and it was superb! The visuals are just stunning and the ambient sound is great.

• @DMCMaster While that makes sense, I'm not sure if I can, I have to save up for teh Switch and at least a game (don't want a 2nd one yet but a Pro controller, which costs as much as a game, but that could wait 1-2 more months).

• @Musou-Tensei Depending what you plan to play you might be able to skip the Pro Controller for a little while. The Joycons/Grip or loose do a better job than expected themselves. Also, it sounds like Mario relies pretty heavily on you playing like that instead of with a Pro Controller, cause of the silly motions it sounds like you gotta make with a Pro Controller.

• @Mbun Like I said, the Pro Controller can wait a few months, still since a Switch costs around 330€ in ym country, and Mario probably 60-70, I need 400€ which is something I can't do on a whim so I need to save up, which isn't easy with all the great games coming out in the next few months, like Yakuza Kiwami in august, that's simply a must i will not miss out on.

• The Pro Controller really isn't needed in my view, I've used the Joy Cons + Grip to play through the entirety of Zelda:BoTW and parts of MK8D and have absolutely loved it.

Will probably use the separate Joy-Cons for Odyssey anyway due to the hat-throwing stuff, but yeah, if you want a 'standard controller' kind of set up the Joy Cons + Grip is more than adequate in my view.

• @Musou-Tensei thought you hated nintendo now and were never gonna go back to them because of censorship?

:3

• I will also recommend passing on the Pro Controller. The JoyCon Grip does a really good job so I'd recommend giving that setup a go before forking out for the pro.

• @DisturbedSwan Duh, that's actually what I meant, the Grip, not the actual Pro Pad, my bad. But I want the Grip that lets me charge the joycons while playing.
    I know Horseman, I can charge it while not playing blah blah.

@GreenHorse Mario is most probably not censored in the west, if they decide to remove mexican Mario because of a minority of people who believe in the absolutely idiotic and illogical non existing moron concept of "cultural appropriation", I WILL change my mind and buy everything used if at all, but for now I don't see a reason to not buy Mario.
    Xenoblade 2 on the other hand we have to see, but luckily it's not the rancid Treehouse localizing it this time but Nintendo of Europe so I have faith that there won't be differences between JP and EU version, probably the same version everyhwere, unlike Xenoblade X.

• @Musou-Tensei Joycon charge lasts A LONG time, so you can get away with not having that Charging Grip and just sliding the Joycons back onto the sides of the system to charge when you're done playing as long as you don't have a second set of Joycon.

• I loved the trailer so much but the game itself looks a bit simple from the demo.

Maybe its an early level and very easy. I also may just be getting old.

• @Mbun The thing is I don't like charging while not playing, because when I don't play I unplug, I don't have any console on standby anymore. Also of course I saw the wrong price since I looked up the price ofr a pro pad, the Charge Grip is much more reasonably priced and I think the way I roll it is a good investion for me.