Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

• @Musou-Tensei Well what I mean is either way you're going to have to charge the system and the joycon between play sessions. You can either charge the joycon by sliding them onto the side of the system or if you have a charging grip you can plug a cord into it to charge them, but either way you're having to do an additional step to charge them, so you might as well just slide them out of the noncharging grip the system comes with and onto the system between play sessions.

However, the moment you have a second set of joycon, you run into the problem that the system can only charge one set at a time, so having the charging grip helps alleviate that by allowing you to charge your second set through a cord while the first set charges hooked to the system while also providing you an extra grip style controller to dock your second set of joycon into.

I guess you could just simply find plugging a cord into your charging grip easier than removing the joycon and sliding it back onto the system between play sessions, but is it really worth the money investment when you're also saving for more games for the system? I'd totally recommend just getting a pro controller over doing that, even if the only game so far that it really feels necessary for is Splatoon 2 since joycon gyro feels wonky due to the center of balance being offset. Having a traditional controller is still nice.

• @Mbun Where is an additional step? It would be just like with the Wii U pad, PS4 pad, and XB1 pad, charging while playing, I don't charge any of the mentioned pads outside of my game time, this is all about charging while playing.

Me, 2nd Joycon? pls

Also now you're recommending me to get the much more expensive pro pad insted of the Grip, wat? How would that help me saving up for more games?

• @Musou-Tensei Charging while playing doesn't sound comfy. On the contrary, I was trying to save you 30 bucks on the Charging Grip when you don't NEED it, but say if you really want to play that way you might as well pay 40 more for the proper traditional controller and play that way, so you'll have it in case you ever need one.

• @Mbun What's not comfy about that? It's no different than playing with a wired controller.

• TFW the sequel to Stardew Valley is 'Uncanny Valley,' but it's with Nintendo and Mario for reasons.

Are we to believe that all humans look like that in the Mario verse? The world map is just a globe after all. All those times playing arcade Donkey Kong... this is the city those girders were over.

• Global Moderator

I'm so ready for this. Still don't have confirmation that I'm getting the bundle on the 27th but I'm hopeful.

• I' m glad this is more like Sunshine than the Galaxy games. I really didn't care for the Galaxy games, the worlds were too small and too linear. Plus motion controls never made any experience better on the wii, only made it less fun or at best bearable

No telling when I'll be able to play it, don't have a switch and won't have one for a couple years at least

• I mean Metroid Prime 3 was easily the best and most nuanced-controlling game in the series with wiimote pointer controls, but that's tangential.

Galaxy was never that dependent on motion outside of the surfing missions. I don't think the linearity of Galaxy 1 & 2 hurt its ability to create a sense of a world. Rather, the content of a lot of the worlds was just not very detailed or lived-in. Floating blocks and platforms just don't compare to the kinds of levels in Sunshine or Odyssey, Peach's Castle, or even the few worlds in Galaxy that did have some context like Honeyhive and Beach Bowl Galaxy (penguin and bee people).

• @ACardAttack It's honestly more Banjo Kazooie than anything Mario in the past.

@Haru17 said:

Galaxy was never that dependent on motion outside of the surfing missions.

Was never really a problem in Galaxy 1 but Galaxy 2 is notorious with having comet levels that require tight, fast platforming that the waggle spin, which you often have to spam during these, simply isn't reliable enough for. If you've ever played them on emulators where you can simply map that action to a button instead, you'll notice the night and day difference.

• Edge have awarded Odyssey their 20th perfect score in 21 years.

alt text

• @thenerdtheword said in Super Mario Odyssey (Switch):

I will also recommend passing on the Pro Controller. The JoyCon Grip does a really good job so I'd recommend giving that setup a go before forking out for the pro.

I disagree here. The joycons on the grip is probably one of the worst controllers I've handled. It's just far too close together.

• @Haru17

While they werent dependent, other than those races, it still took away from it and has never added anything for me to any gaming experience.

Near the end of SMG2 there were some issues for me with waggle spin and getting over to a couple poles while dodging things being thrown/shot at me

• @dramaticslowmo

Saw that over at reddit...I knew this would get great scores, but their recent history of giving games 10/10 like the two Galaxy games, Skyward Sword and even BOTW have me skeptical and they seem to have a slight Nintendo bias

Im sure it's a great game, but I'll be interested in what people say after they've had it for a couple weeks

• @Axel
    If you go to the official website for Odyssey they also have a download link for the song (albeit a short version, which is odd to me seeing as the full song has been floating around since E3)

• @ACardAttack i felt like they added a lot in galaxy

using tilt control on the ball levels felt great and engaging.

im going to miss all the great use of the pointer.

• @ACardAttack both the galaxy games were humped by nearly every critic. you would be hard pressed to call everyone bias, they are both just really great games.

• @Sheria i love it, you dont have to travel too far to press anything and everything is so tight

• I repeat (and will continue asking until I find ANSWERS), are we to believe that all humans in the Mario expanded universe look like the New Donk City NPCs? The world map is just a globe after all. All those times playing the original Donkey Kong... is this the city those girders were over?

• @Bigdude1 said:

both the galaxy games were humped by nearly every critic. you would be hard pressed to call everyone bias, they are both just really great games.

I really don't think Galaxy 2 is as great as people treat it. It's literally a game of leftover ideas that weren't good enough to make the cut the first time around. I could list off all my problems with it, but this isn't the thread for that. Preordered Mario Odyssey at Best Buy to get that sweet free coin for it, so just counting the days now to Mario-Capzooie.