Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

• @Mbun Well it was originally planned as an add-on.

• @Mbun said:

Preordered Mario Odyssey at Best Buy to get that sweet free coin for it,

I just realized that sounds like getting some dumb amount of in-game coins. I mean this:
    alt text

• @Haru17 The world of Mario is strange. Perhaps we simply must accept that there are no true "humans" in Mario, just humanoids and non-humanoids. And as for Donkey Kong, I wouldn't be surprised in Nintendo made a statement about New Donk City being the setting of the original DK game. It's got Pauline in it after all, it would make sense for her to be kidnapped from the place she lived, and as mayor of the whole city it's got to be her main place of residence.

On the topic of Mario Odyssey on the whole, I'm starting to get very excited. Since I just finished A Hat in Time, I am craving more new 3D platformers and Yooka Laylee just isn't doing it for me. While I don't think SMO will dethrone the recently crowned favorite 3D platformer in my mind that is AHiT, I do think the SMO is going to be one of the best if not the best 3D Mario games ever made. If it can match the Galaxy games for me it will certainly be one of my GOTY picks. Of course I'm more attached to AHiT and SMO will have to do some serious work to replace it in my heart since I backed it 4 years ago and played the Alpha, Beta, and watched all the updates to the point that I feel like I've known that game my whole life. But, I know AHiT isn't going to win any major organization's GOTY, certainly not EZA, so I want to have something more realistic to root for this GOTY season. I kind of doubt that I will like the worlds of SMO more, but I know I can expect more polish and a better camera (probably). And regardless of how high it falls on my personal ranking based on what I played at E3, I know it's going to feel great to play and explore. I wish I had a Switch now so that I could play it at launch but I'll probably have to wait for Christmas to get mine. At least that's not too long to wait. I haven't decided whether or not I'll watch any streams of it when it releases.

• @Mbun It was more of expanded ideas than cancelled ones. level design was great.

• @michemagius Mario and luigi are the only true "humans" in it

• @michemagius Aww, waiting two months is still rough though, Damiani will have streamed the whole game at least twice by then! Hope you can snag a Switch before long.

And I'm cautiously optimistic for Odyssey. It looks great, but Nintendo just trailed a game looking great in Breath of the Wild and showed all of it before launch to the point where only like the camera rune was left unannounced. So I hope they haven't shown all of the captures, kingdoms, or secrets I know there's one that's gotten out there in name but without any footage or description of it.

And Mario and Luigi clearly aren't humans, the slender-proportioned humans like Pauline are closer even if they're period pieces.

• @Haru17 said:

I hope they haven't shown all of the captures, kingdoms, or secrets I know there's one that's gotten out there in name but without any footage or description of it.

That's why I've jumped ship from the media train awhile ago. I don't trust them not to show too much to oversell the game. Thankfully Zelda had plenty to discover left in it, but social media for that did tweet out a picture of one of the dragons days before release which was such a bullshit move and pissed me way off when those are one of the coolest out of nowhere otherwise moments in the game.

• @Mbun I didn't get the dragon spoiled for me, but that Switch event trailer was really everything. Even before that though they showed the whole game 9 months ahead of release at E3 because the Great Plateau was the whole game. Almost without exception you just do those same actions over and over again, sometimes for fetch quests, shrines, towers, and Far Cry encampments.

It's good they announced Odyssey a reasonable time ahead of release so it didn't have such an exacerbated marketing cycle.

• @Haru17 said:

Even before that though they showed the whole game 9 months ahead of release at E3 because the Great Plateau was the whole game. Almost without exception you just do those same actions over and over again, sometimes for fetch quests, shrines, towers, and Far Cry encampments.

As usual, your take on the game is hyperbolic and twisted. It's a taste of what you do in the game, not the whole game. There's very few straight up fetch quests in the game, and most the ones that exist lead to significant rewards like gathering wood to watch a town be built out of nothing. There's two types of recurring shrines that don't even exist on the Plateau, you know besides all the crazy unique puzzle ones that are nothing like the introduction to runes ones on the Plateau. The Towers are varied throughout the game, not all like the one on the Plateau. Lastly, calling those enemy camps Far Cry encampments implies you liberate them to then control that part of the map, which never happens. They're just overworld combat challenges that offer some rewards that respawn every Blood Moon.

For how upset you are at Zelda for being more like Zelda 1 than linear 3D Zelda games, I'm surprised you haven't given Odyssey more crap for being more like Banjo Kazooie. I guess you have to play it first, but I actually welcome hearing ways you'd come up with to belittle Odyssey for not being the game you want like you've done tirelessly to BotW at any opportunity.

• I've also gone full media-blackout for Odyssey, I want to discover all those worlds and transformations on my own.

@michemagius said in Super Mario Odyssey (Switch):

But, I know AHiT isn't going to win any major organization's GOT

Are you saying our own forum GOTY nominations aren't major?? :D

• @Axel Please don't misunderstand, the EZA Forums GOTY Awards are the true pinnacle of gaming accolades. Most developers could only dream of receiving an honor so great as to be recognized by the denizens of this forum. However, not many people are talking about it on here. From what I've heard pretty much everyone on here who has played it really enjoyed it, but I don't know if they enjoyed it more than other amazing games that came out this year. Like yes, A Hat in Time is truly a wonder of game design (Subcon Forest, Battle of the Birds, and Alpine Skyline are all truly inventive and unique worlds, and platforming methods/abilities are my all time favorite) and character design (The Conductor, Snatcher, and the Mafia are all very memorable and charming). It's incorporation of abilities through collectables (yarn and badges) as well as unlockables (new level music, new character colors, new hat designs through rift tokens) are my favorite in any game I've ever played and probably the best of any game this year (yes, I mean that). I best the game already and I'm constantly finding new areas to explore, new ways to explore them, and new ways to customize my experience. The mod support is already extremely promising and I'm very much looking forward to playing all the fan made levels, even making one myself.

If A Hat in Time came out last year or in 2015 I would think it had a fighting chance, but 2017 is a really strong year for games. AHiT is probably going to be my GOTY but I still loved a lot of the games that came out this year. Persona 5 is an amazing turn based JRPG, maybe the best ever made (according to Famitsu). Nier: Automata is an amazing action RPG, the best I've ever played. Breath of the Wild is an incredible move forward for the iconic Zelda franchise. And Super Mario Odyssey is likely to be one of the strongest entries in the already unbelievably strong 3D Mario series. All of these games are wonderful. All of these games are AAA, have longer run times, more polish, and more people playing them. I don't really see how AHiT could win GOTY, so I'm fine with any of the other games I mentioned winning. They aren't my personal pick, but they all deserve the win.

• With all the praise I'm hearing for AHiT on these forums and on this week's Frame Trap, I'm seriously considering buying it at some point. Wish it was on Switch though, so I might wait a few more months for that.

• @Axel Don't hold out for the Switch version. It's certainly not coming out within months of now. Maybe mid to late 2018 if we're lucky. The Devs only just got the dev kit for switch like 2 or 3 weeks ago. Right now they've got to focus on finishing up the PS4 and XBO releases and they promised a free dlc world so they have to work on that too. I'm not sure when the team will actually have time to make the Switch version if they make it at all. My advice is to get it for PC (if your PC is capable of running games smoothly at their preferred settings). That's how I and everyone else are playing it now and so far there's been no big issues, plus, modding support. If you prefer to play games on a console go for the PS4 or XBO versions because they are slated to release later this Fall. If you don't have either of those consoles, stick to PC. Even if your computer is weak like mine. AHiT is certainly prettier when played on higher graphical settings, but it still has a lot of charm and runs better on weaker PC's when played on performance settings.

• If they're working with the Switch dev kit then I'm definitely waiting to buy a Hat in Time. I waited a full year for Tomb Raider and Odyssey is out in a week, there's no reason to rush to play it on a system it's not going to look any better on.

• @Mbun Your attacks on my observations don't mean much without any evidence on your side. You claim that the Great Plateau is only a taste of the game. Well let's see; mud, there, freezing water, there, enemy camps, the first tower that is exactly identical to all of the other towers save for rearranged landings, all of the runes and puzzle items, weapon types, Korok seed puzzle types, fishing for treasure chests, fire, ice, and bomb arrows, basic enemy types, one of the five mini bosses, all there.

The only surprises Breath of the Wild had in store were the dragon boss fight (followed by two more identical dragons appearing for you to farm mats from), the guardian boss fight, and the surprisingly abrupt and unfinished ending. The story was such an obvious lowest common denominator that literally anyone who watched the trailers could guess at it; Zelda got damsel'd in the disaster we already know happened and you have to collect mcguffins — which are now ugly robots — to free her and save light, or whatever. There wasn't even the veneer of effortful thought over it.

My original point was that they showed all of the game's content pre-release, which is true. All of the weather and physics systems interactions and the four basic shrine puzzles which are re-used throughout the other 66 puzzle shrines were shown off at E3. Breath of the Wild isn't some transcendent next gen Zelda, it's not even in the same genre since they took out the metroidvanian item progression that formed the core of the games. It's just another derivative open world game with a slight twist: this time, physics and a universal climbing animation.

• @Haru17 said:

mud, there, freezing water, there, enemy camps, all of the runes and puzzle items, weapon types, Korok seed puzzle types, fishing for treasure chests, fire, ice, and bomb arrows, basic enemy types, one of the five mini bosses, all there.

Yes, it's called a tutorial area. They introduce you to common things the game will use and build on as it goes.

the first tower that is exactly identical to all of the other towers save for rearranged landings

You know this is bullshit. Some towers have thorns. Others have enemies around them. Their landings are built so you need different amounts of stamina to climb the sections. Many have entire areas around them you have to tackle before you can even climb them to begin with. They're all built as their own challenges, not the same at all.

followed by two more identical dragons appearing

That dragon bossfight doesn't trigger that. They're already in the world. I saw the lightning one first way before finding that mountain.

you have to collect mcguffins — which are now ugly robots — to free her

Wrong again. You're tackling the Divine Beasts to retake them from Ganon and free the spirits of the deceased champions you used to be close with. You can go save Zelda anytime, with or without the Divine Beasts. Choosing to do them first just makes it easier.

My original point was that they showed all of the game's content pre-release, which is true.

No it isn't. Showing tutorial stuff for a game doesn't equate to showing the entire game. Seeing some shrine puzzles doesn't mean you've seen every single one. They're not that similar. Did you even play this game? I doubt it sometimes.

Breath of the Wild isn't some transcendent next gen Zelda, it's not even in the same genre since they took out the metroidvanian item progression that formed the core of the games. It's just another derivative open world game with a slight twist: this time, physics and a universal climbing animation.

Once again you're just complaining the game wasn't what you wanted, some arbitrary thing you decided all Zelda games had to be. In your own description there you just said Metroidvanian, not Zeldavanian. That's how off-base you are. Obviously it's not another derivative open world game when everyone was saying "finally someone did open world right" when the game came out. Other open world games are going to follow it's example, not the other way around. So just stop already. Mario is coming, and we've all had enough of your flimsy reasoning for your crusade against Breath of the Wild just for not enjoying it as much as everyone around you. Let it go already.

• Pre-downloading is up for the US and Europe.

• Looks like Simplygames in the UK has shipped their pre-orders early so many have their copies today. Knew about this yesterday (thanks to Eurogamer forums) so I could have theoretically been playing this tonight after work. Held back because I prefer to own this digitally. Reaction over on Eurogamer is exactly as I would hope. Not long now.

• Edge gives the game 10. This is one game you need to play first really. Galaxy reviews / Sunshine reviews. I just cant trust them these days.

• @Sheria said in Super Mario Odyssey (Switch):

Edge gives the game 10. This is one game you need to play first really. Galaxy reviews / Sunshine reviews. I just cant trust them these days.

its nintendo and mario. it will automatically get 10 even if its not good. its just a brand.
    just like if game is called GTA and get 10 from every where.