Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)

• Youtube Video

This is a remake of the original Game Boy classic Metroid II: Return of Samus. No wonder why they were so adamant in shutting down AM2R.

I'm not crazy about the art style, but I think part of it is due to the low poly models being blown up on a big screen.

Gameplay-wise, it's looking tight! I hope they add more content because the original game was rather dry.

Should be a nice little palate cleanser before the main dish Metroid Prime 4!

• coming out september 15 and there will be a collectors edition with a soundtrack that you can get

• Oh, I didn't realize this was a remake of 2. I really like the melee jump attack: it feels like Smash Bros. as well as an area that the series needed to expand into. Hopefully the music sounds as good as the Prime Trilogy.

• I was waiting so long for a remake of Metroid 2, it sadly aged rather badly compared to even the NES original, I'm very happy with this.

• Now that the dust has settled, I have pretty low expectations for this game.

From all the information I've gathered, it sounds like the its overall structure and progression will be identical to the original game's, and it was pretty basic to say the least. Also it was only about 4-5 hours long. They hinted at possible extra content, I would imagine some additional sequences that flesh out the story ever so slightly, similarly to what Zero Mission did.

So it's not exactly something that will tide us over until Metroid Prime 4, but more of a one-week-and-done, nice to have thing.

Also, there's apparently a stereoscopic 3D version of the trailer downloadable on the eShop, to get a better idea of what the game will actually look like, but I wasn't able to find it yesterday. Is it US only?

• @Axel said in Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS):

Now that the dust has settled, I have pretty low expectations for this game.

From all the information I've gathered, it sounds like the its overall structure and progression will be identical to the original game's, and it was pretty basic to say the least. Also it was only about 4-5 hours long. They hinted at possible extra content, I would imagine some additional sequences that flesh out the story ever so slightly, similarly to what Zero Mission did.

So it's not exactly something that will tide us over until Metroid Prime 4, but more of a one-week-and-done, nice to have thing.

Also, there's apparently a stereoscopic 3D version of the trailer downloadable on the eShop, to get a better idea of what the game will actually look like, but I wasn't able to find it yesterday. Is it US only?

I wouldn't have expected much different, Fusion and Zero Mission were pretty short. But they were also THAT good.

Hasn't diminished my excitement one bit. There's not many action/platformer nintendo games that you can't get through in an afternoon or two.

• Nintendo probably saw the success of AM2R, and decided to make official version.

• @ZyloWolfBane True, and I'm also hyped! I just meant that it might not feel like a significant entry in the series and satiate our Metroid appetite. Just a nice snack.

• Banned

@jipostus This was probably in development before AM2R.

Which makes the release of AM2R all the more hilarious. I can see why Nintendo was so upset by it.

• @Art if that's the case, I totally understand the Nintendo's strong reaction. But if it is a response to the backlash Nintendo got, I see that as a good thing.

• Dat Wallpaper...

0_1497528292820_metroid II cover.jpg

• Can someone find the 3D trailer? Because I can't.

• @Musou-Tensei Me neither :(

• @Yoshi Back off, it's MINE!!

• @Axel fight me!

• Maps

Map comparisons between Metroid II, AM2R and Metroid: Samus Returns. Shows that we can expect a more elaborate layout and overall expanded world to explore. This should be the Zero Mission of Metroid II.

Aaaaaand I'm hyped again.

• @Axel said in Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS):

Maps

Map comparisons between Metroid II, AM2R and Metroid: Samus Returns. Shows that we can expect a more elaborate layout and overall expanded world to explore. This should be the Zero Mission of Metroid II.

Aaaaaand I'm hyped again.

I would hope they hide more things for us to find as well.

• I'm glad Metroid is back but I wish it was a new game instead of a remake of Metroid II. I don't think Metroid II is anywhere near as good as Metroid 1 or Super Metroid but I hope this one is better.

• I am also really happy about this. I do hope that this map is not showing the hole game because then you just spoiled it for people.