Plea for the return of Love & Respect

• Hey everyone, I've noticed a rise in hostility around these parts in the past few days/weeks and I feel the need to remind everyone of the EZA motto, Love & Respect.

This is E3, it should be the most exciting time of the year, and I'm seeing many pointless, endless arguments.

I would hate for this forum to become another Reddit dominated by "edgy" cynicism.

Of course we can be critical of games we don't like, we can disagree, but please try to remain civil and keep the negativity and aggressiveness down.

L&R

• I thought I've been rather tame, though I would love it if for once people would try to stop "Educating" me on how my opinions are wrong, that's getting a little old.

Moreso when the people doing it don't have any better of an idea of the situation than I do and are just throwing their own assumptions out there, if people don't like something I or anyone else have to say, well....it's not directed at them, they can move along, otherwise it is at THAT point where things get antagonistic and in turn MAKE things hostile. Otherwise I don't attack anyone, nor do I plan to.

But I haven't found the place to be any more hostile than usual, intolerant of different ideas and opinions...but not hostile.

If being disappointed in things I should've been able to expect good news from is considered "Too Negative" well...dunno what to tell you, people are gonna be salty, it's E3. GOTY discussions are going to be the same way too.

Not saying you're personally calling me out, but given the way people are acting toward me around here today it feels like it, at least indirectly.

• "Love and respect" is funny because it's used more often as an emote or convenient way to smooth over an argument than anything meaningful.

Like Ben said — and he is no doubt guilty of this as well — the gaming zeitgeist is obsessed with 'correct opinions' and it's hostile to anyone who doesn't conform. I think it bears saying, a lot of interactions I see among the community result in;

alt text

• I think some people are simply too used to echo-chambers (like reddit).

If you run into people like this online the best idea is generally to ignore them.

• Also, I want people to not just see things from their own perspectives, and not see the bigger picture at all. It's alright to say that you don't care about for example: Sports games in EA conference, but again, there is a HUGE market for them, and lot of people care about those games, but saying that they have no place at E3 is just ridiculous. Try to be more objective, and see if there's anything that might intertest those, who care about those games, instead of just "BAH, THESE GAMES ARE WORTHLESS WASTE OF TIME AND SHOULD BE EXTINCT" I'm not saying that you need to like everything, or even enjoy everything, but unneccesary hate doesn't help anyone.

• @jipostus said in Plea for the return of Love & Respect:

Also, I want people to not just see things from their own perspectives, and not see the bigger picture at all. It's alright to say that you don't care about for example: Sports games in EA conference, but again, there is a HUGE market for them, and lot of people care about those games, but saying that they have no place at E3 is just ridiculous. Try to be more objective, and see if there's anything that might intertest those, who care about those games, instead of just "BAH, THESE GAMES ARE WORTHLESS WASTE OF TIME AND SHOULD BE EXTINCT" I'm not saying that you need to like everything, or even enjoy everything, but unneccesary hate doesn't help anyone.

For things like sports I think the problem is how they're presented and the fact that they eat up a pretty big chunk of time. Either spread them out throughout the presentation or if you have a block of time dedicated to sports then announce beforehand that you'll spend around X amount of time on it (so people not interested can check back around that time).
    Also the way they present the sports games is honestly lacking and could be done better.

• @suplextrain Yes, that is something that can be improved, but that still doesn't justify that level of hatred.

• @jipostus said in Plea for the return of Love & Respect:

@suplextrain Yes, that is something that can be improved, but that still doesn't justify that level of hatred.

I wouldn't go so far as calling it "hate", but "hate" is rarely justified. Emotions like these also tend to be amplified online because interactions with other people is much less personal.

• This post is deleted!

• Global Moderator

I've been trying to keep my eyes open in threads now as I know E3 can be a hot time of arguments, fanboyism and shouts. I still think this place are so much better than many other places of the internet today. However, as the community grows, so will also the opinions on things. More people from bigger part of the world will join and we all have our experiences and ideas of things. I just want to kindly remind everyone. PLEASE dont immediately bite back hard on other people. We all have good and bad days. Some people are just trolling. Try to keep it as an open conversation. I dont say that you aren't allowed to have your own opinion on things, but instead of just going with the so simple "but you are wrong and stupid!" give it a chance to calm down and elaborate on your point.

If you feel that a conversation just will tip downhill, just walk away (yes you can actually decide to not say anything) or contact me or one of the other moderators. Another option can be to flag posts that you find triggering and we will have a look into the matter.

On a more positive note I want to say that we all have a passion for games here, we share a common interest and even if there can be a sense of hostility I think we all are deep down full of love and understanding! So talk, discuss and listen to each other, but most of all, dont forget to have fun! Love and Respect <3

• It is a good idea to pay attention to when you run into a conversation where both sides aren't really reading each other's comments. They're simply throwing questions back and forth without really exchanging ideas.

I fall into that trap myself, and the only way out is to change the subject into something else or walk away.

• And the fans should learned what constructive criticism is, instead of shouting at people, telling them to leave the community or just accept everything the way it is. It's not a minority of people doing this, it's not something that only happens to few people, it's a huge problem, and it's pissing me of, constructive criticism comes from the heart of a fan, but it seems that in this "best community with only L&R" there's only room for one thing, 100% agreement, or you'll be sorry. It's insane a moderator from the old GT community can't say anything without having to deal with this shit. That's not me btw, it's the guy who introduced me to GT, my best friend. I talked about this problem many times before, but it's just getting worse.
    I don't know about you, the fans, but something tells me that EZA rather want our money and constructive criticism, than nothing at all.
    I have no idea if this is the right thread to write this, but at this point I don't care, I just had to let it out, again.

• @CylinderOfLeaves There are people constantly saying stuff like "This game is bad" and not say anything more and Let's not even talk about the YouTube comments, which say hit like "Ian should quit EZA" and so forth, THAT is not constructive critisism in any way, shape or form. And that kind of stuff needs to end. Constructive Critisism is completely fine, as long as it's actually constructive.

• @jipostus Clearly those are not the people he's talking about when he's talking about constructive criticism, so don't honestly see what that has to do with his argument, we all know that there are assholes and trolls, especially on youtube, those people are easy to sniff out and ignore. But when I politely ask if it wouldn't be better to stream the conferences in full screen and then 4 people proceed to tell me to fuck off, I don't want to be part of a community that attacks people just for disagreeing with Huber.

• @Kutaro said in Plea for the return of Love & Respect:

I don't want to be part of a community that attacks people just for disagreeing with Huber.

Sounds like you have specific issues with specific people, not "the community ".

Also, it was decided last e3 not to stream conferences full screen because the EZA reactions are incredibly popular. If you want to watch the stream full screen, there's a ton of other options. It's something that's been addressed before. It's possible people thought you were trolling.

• There's a lot of people around who i feel don't know how to communicate effectively. To me, part of L&R is trying to figure out what people mean instead of reacting to what people say. There's a few people here who I really disagree with on a lot of fundamental levels, and It can get a little heated, but that's what happens when people talk to each other sometimes. I try to say what I came to say and not get too involved in the interpersonal stuff.

• @TokyoSlim that's 1 recent example. I have many of those too. Way too many.

• @CylinderOfLeaves and what did you do about it? Have you talked to mods and etc?

• @TokyoSlim
    Well, they represent the community in a negative way though.
    I'm not watching the Conference here, I don't feel like watching them watch it, which is a shame, because usually like their commentary, there is no way those people thought I was trolling, more likely they are part of the EZA Defense force.

• @TokyoSlim I ignore them, but after months of people shouting that i should shut up or go away, I left, because what's the point of supporting like something EZA, if you are not allowed to express you opinion on anything EZA? Later on I returned and joined a thread on this forum, people agreed on the touchy subjects, but it still don't change the fact that we can't say anything, it's the same story over and over. I'm not asking the mods or something like that to tell people what's right and wrong, because they can't change the hive mind. Only EZA can do that.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.