Cross-platform play

• @ib0show no, neither between X1 and W10

• Epic: The barrier between Xbox and PlayStation "will inevitably come down"
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-03-21-epic-games-the-barrier-between-xbox-and-playstation-will-inevitably-come-down
    "For Sony and Microsoft to support their customers well they have to be open to all their customer's friends - their real world friends - otherwise they're breaking up real-world social groups. Like kids in school have their friends, and do you expect this platform schism to divide them into two separate groups that can't play together? No. It's got to come together now.

"That one remaining barrier will inevitably come down."

• @lordbaztion said in PS4 Cross-play:

Epic: The barrier between Xbox and PlayStation "will inevitably come down"

Maybe, just not anytime soon. Any words from an EpicGames employee rings a bit hollow though since of course he would try and push for cross-play since it would benefit EpicGames, especially since Fortnite is getting more and more popular.

I just don't see why Sony would have a good reason to do it though. "Good will" from players is honestly worth very little in this scenario. They want people to lean more towards getting a PS4 since that's where most people (as in most likely most of their friends) are.
    Microsoft are obviously pushing for cross-play because it would mean that the playerbase size doesn't matter for the different systems and it the eyes of naive players they come off as the "good guys" (when they're really not, it's purely out of self interest).

Also in all honesty I think people are blowing this out of proportion, since really how many players would directly benefit from this? If anything it's just a loud minority screaming about this.

• Banned

Not until Sony decides.
    Right now that barrier doesn't really matter, because the vast majority of console owners play on PS4.
    It will be nice for the few people who own an Xbox, but Sony are the ones in control here, and until Microsoft do something to threaten that, I just don't see it happening.

• Tim Sweeney:
    “Whatever the history, it’s really in gamers’ interest to play with all of their friends. Gamers who play with their friends spend more and are more engaged.”

Epic: Cross-Platform Play Creating New Sort of Social Network
    https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/epic-cross-platform-play-creating-new-social-network-w518414

• Sadly it's been a while since last time I posted here.
    Paladins coming to Switch and will have crossplay with Xbox

Eager to come back when Fornite is announced with crossplay too.

• Banned

@lordbaztion Fortnite already has crossplay tho.

• ^I meant crossplay between xbox and switch, and here it is:

• Looks like there's also an issue because of the cross progression that once you've played on the PS4 your Epic account is locked out from playing on the other console platforms.

Edit: I always thought Minecraft was going to be what got some traction on this, but it seems like the switch fortnite issue has done more in 12 hours.

• Thankfully that issue is getting track in the media, even outside gaming. I guess Nintnedo had to be affected to have this exposure.
    I wish at some point some Microsoft, Nintendo and Epic representatives get together to stream some crossplay matches.

• Whatever about crossplay, the situation with Fortnite is really terrible. They'd definitely want to sort this one out as it's really not helping their public image.

• @tokeeffe9 the cross progression and cross play issues are directly tied to one another.

I'm glad there's finally some discussion happening around it in some more mainstream media outlets, but I'm skeptical Sony will do anything.

• I think cross progression can be done easier, and it baffles me why some games don't have that. you can have cross progression without cross play. For example: Overwatch, I wouldnt want there to be cross play really because its way different playing on a pc and a console. But why the hell can't I carry over all the money spent and skins ive had.

• Banned

Yeah I think this is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back. Sony had their fun and got their revenge against Microsoft for snubbing them in the exact same way last gen, but not they are just making themsves look bad.

• @edsortiz I honestly think the cross progression by itself actually makes the issues less palatable for a company like Sony. It's essentially asking for cross purchase (which would be incredible). Would you expect to buy CoD for Xbox One and also get to play it for PS4? The cross progression and cross play policies are intertwined whether people want them to be or not. It's pretty plain when cross progression and play work with the same set of platforms.

• @binarymelon No.. what I mean is: I buy CoD on PS4 and play 100 hours on it and reach level 5X, then lets say i want to play with my friends on xbox, and BUY it again on Xbox but, with cross progression, I would log in to an existing activision account that's linked to my ps4 and xbox account, and boom I'm on my xbox playing CoD level 5X. Just like fornite does .. it carries over your progress. I do not mean to buy the game only on one platform and expect to have it on all of them, that's too much to ask in my opinion.

• @edsortiz isn't some progress in fortnite tied to purchases though? I haven't played more than a handful of matches, so I don't know much about it.

• EA is considering crossplay for FIFA. That would be HUGE.

"It's something we've looked at, and it's something we often talk about," he said, before suggesting first-party policy is to blame.
    "There are a lot of issues to work through. I'm trying to be diplomatic here! There are a lot of issues to work through with various first parties. But Fortnite does that now with PC to consoles.
    "From a consumer standpoint, it makes the community that much broader, which makes it that much more compelling."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-18-ea-sports-fifa-19-cross-platform-play-a-net-benefit-to-users

• The Minecraft better together update is now live on Switch
    Youtube Video