Cross-platform play

• Microsoft propaganda works well lol. Has everyone taking up arms against Sony.

Also, the needing Xbox live account, I wouldn't even want to bother for one game.

The funny thing about all this is that MS is less concerned about hardware and more concerned with Xbox account numbers. They've stated this so many times in the past. It's not about the hardware sales! It's about the the subscribers! And we have so many! This is a ploy to suck ppl into getting Xbox accounts to play minecraft cross platform. Now even u with a PS4 has to login in via Xbox just like has been mentioned for Nintendo and you've given MS another Xbox account subscriber. This is why their pushing this so bad. And this is probably why Sony doesn't want to do this, it's a conflict of interest.

And I wouldn't mind having crossplay which would be a cool interesting feature but do any of you right now sit down and boot up multiplayer and say to yourselves, awwww damn... I wish those guys over at Xbox could play minecraft and rocket league with me :( they must feel so lonely. More then likely most your friends have the same console or have multiple. If they don't, then I feel bad for them and they know how it felt for me to be a Sega kid lol.

• @binarymelon said in PS4 Cross-play:

@ZyloWolfBane People weren't so quick to defend MS for their "business decision" to implement online DRM prior to this gen beginning.

Except that decision would inhibit playing games, sony's decision doesn't hurt anyone but XB1 owners and it doesn't stop anyone from playing.

Big difference ;)

• @ZyloWolfBane But DRM would only hurt XB1 owners, so why would us PS4 owners care? I'm sorry, but that's a garbage excuse. A larger player base is an obvious benefit for every gamer involved. Psyonix should honestly segregate PS4 from everyone else and call it a day. They would immediately become the smallest pool of players. Most of us got the game for "free" anyway, so they wouldn't be pissing off paying customers.

@ZyloWolfBane But DRM would only hurt XB1 owners, so why would us PS4 owners care? I'm sorry, but that's a garbage excuse. A larger player base is an obvious benefit for every gamer involved. Psyonix should honestly segregate PS4 from everyone else and call it a day. They would immediately become the smallest pool of players. Most of us got the game for "free" anyway, so they wouldn't be pissing off paying customers.

You're still missing the point, the only reason this is coming up is because MS is hurting right now. PS4 and PC have a higher playerbase for Rocket League and they can play together.

Had MS not been stubborn when they had a chance, we would already have open multiplayer. So why should anyone care now?

It's not on sony to make good on this now, the doors were wide open and MS shut them.

• @ZyloWolfBane so the reason boils down to "neener, neener we're the leader now", and you as a gamer want to support that? L&R indeed.

• @binarymelon I pretty sure that, even if you segregated the PS4 version from all other versions, it would still have more players than all other versions combined.

@ZyloWolfBane so the reason boils down to "neener, neener we're the leader now", and you as a gamer want to support that? L&R indeed.

That's how it was when 360 was doing better, and people were perfectly fine with it then. In fact it only made the arguments worse because suddenly that was yet another justification for owning the console.

Look I get what you want out of this, but the bottom line is this was all the same when the shoe was on the other foot, it's not going to change now.

The wrong company is being blamed here.

It's not about "Neener neener" for me as a PS4 owner, I just don't care. It doesn't hurt me or hinder me whatsoever. Nor did it concern/interest me in the old days.

The communities are separate and I think we're better for it, not worse. I love how you also glazed over the point of MS separating PC players with Steam and their own windows 10 store, but whatever man.

They aren't doing this for altruistic reasons, they're trying to stir the pot. If anything it's just a ploy to sell more XBL subscriptions because people will have a larger playerpool so they'll finally think it's worth paying for it.

• @ZyloWolfBane I was also thinking of this. The timing seems very convenient for MS. Pehaps too convenient. Seeing as they haven't had an answer to the PS4 sheer dominance.

Cross play could have easily been done last gen. There were already a few cross play games between consoles and PC's. And with how popular CoD was, the demand was there. I also don't like the idea of having to use a Live acccount. When I'm on a completely different platform. Certainly seems like MS way of promoting their brand over Sony. And Nintendo for that matter. But while that may not mean much for some gamers now. We don't fully understand MS intentions. Giving them full control of the cross play market, can put them in play to charge Live subscriptions to non Xbox owners. Which will in theory, be for all 3rd party games.

• I don't see how MS is stirring anything up. They announced their new engine for Minecraft which supports cross platform play. People got upset so Sony marched out Jim Ryan with the most bullshit excuse of all time (which basically blamed MS for creating an unsafe online environment). So MS (and Psyonix for that matter) responded and said it wasn't true. Gamers got even more pissed.

I don't see how they can sell more XBL subscriptions for this, unless they start charging gamers a subscription fee to play the game, which EA, Activision, Psyonix or any other publisher could in theory do but won't because it would be suicide.

I'm biased against MS, but you guys are bordering on tinfoil hat levels.

• @binarymelon it' like a perfect storm and I'm sure MS is entirelly aware of it. They certainly can't control what Jim Ryan and Psyonix will say but they are sure there is little ground to deny on the benefits of crossplay from a consumer/developer/publisher standpoint. E3 became more consumer focused in the last years and MS is using to deliver its message. It's not much different from what happened on 2013.

• I could understand people being upset by this if Sony listed cross play as a goal for PS4, but it's basically come down to people complaining about something that was never offered. Imagine you were to go down to your local Gamestop and you find a man there yelling about them not stocking his favorite pudding - you would think this man is insane and has no right to demand things that weren't sold there in the first place. Consumer entitlement continues to grow at an alarming rate.

While fighting for this homogeneous gaming culture makes sense on paper, it leads to a host of problems that have been mentioned on this thread and I'm sure a slew of technical nightmares to code through as well. You don't just walk into a room and press the "Cross-Play: ON" button to activate this. In terms of accountability, if you play Overwatch on PS4, there's currently a player in the top 500 that got there by DDoS'ing his opponents (tons of materials online for this). If you report him to Blizzard, they tell you to report to Sony. Report it to Sony and they tell you to give Blizzard an email. There's no solution for this ongoing problem and adding another console into it would just add another variable to the equation. That's just one situation that quickly popped in my head and I'm sure there's tons and tons more.

My last point is more personal and doesn't apply to all but... if cross-play got turned on, it wouldn't allow me to play with more friends. These consoles have been out for years now, the people I play with already own a PS4 and PS Plus. A lot of people I know (myself included) had an Xbox 360 last generation and moved on to PS4 when we saw the games available and the install base. Another selling point for jumping back to the Sony train was how terrible the Xbox Live community was. I know a lot of multiplayer gaming has a stereotype for having little kids screaming and people spouting off sexist/racist rants for no reason; my experience with the 360 made me understand why nearly every time I jumped online. While not squeaky clean on PS4, I've had a much better time and had some great experiences with strangers.

For me personally though, I just can't complain about a feature I never expected in the first place. If it ever gets implemented, cool, more people on the server, if it doesn't, that's also fine. A game like Rocket League will continue to be successful, cross-play enabled or not.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in PS4 Cross-play:

While fighting for this homogeneous gaming culture makes sense on paper, it leads to a host of problems that have been mentioned on this thread and I'm sure a slew of technical nightmares to code through as well. You don't just walk into a room and press the "Cross-Play: ON" button to activate this. In terms of accountability, if you play Overwatch on PS4, there's currently a player in the top 500 that got there by DDoS'ing his opponents (tons of materials online for this). If you report him to Blizzard, they tell you to report to Sony. Report it to Sony and they tell you to give Blizzard an email. There's no solution for this ongoing problem and adding another console into it would just add another variable to the equation. That's just one situation that quickly popped in my head and I'm sure there's tons and tons more.

I don't really see how this gets worse if you add more platforms. It's an issue that should be solved by Blizzard.

@SabotageTheTruth said in PS4 Cross-play:

My last point is more personal and doesn't apply to all but... if cross-play got turned on, it wouldn't allow me to play with more friends. These consoles have been out for years now, the people I play with already own a PS4 and PS Plus. A lot of people I know (myself included) had an Xbox 360 last generation and moved on to PS4 when we saw the games available and the install base. Another selling point for jumping back to the Sony train was how terrible the Xbox Live community was. I know a lot of multiplayer gaming has a stereotype for having little kids screaming and people spouting off sexist/racist rants for no reason; my experience with the 360 made me understand why nearly every time I jumped online. While not squeaky clean on PS4, I've had a much better time and had some great experiences with strangers.

For me personally though, I just can't complain about a feature I never expected in the first place. If it ever gets implemented, cool, more people on the server, if it doesn't, that's also fine. A game like Rocket League will continue to be successful, cross-play enabled or not.

Trust me as someone who only played on PS3 last gen, there were just as many trolls on PSN. The difference this gen is party chat is used more so you're not exposed to as many randoms. Just think if those friends you had on 360 could still play some of the old exclusive titles from Xbox but still play with you in the multi-plat titles. There's really very few downsides and too many benefits as a gamer to ignore.

• @binarymelon Oh, I'm sure the trolls are rampant all over, but it just hasn't been my experience this generation, even when out of party chat. It's really hard to define something like friendliness of players as it is, so I'm trying to avoid making statements like, "The Sony community is more mature," even though that has honestly been the case for me.

• Great little comic:
    alt text

• I find it hilarious that up to this point Sony has been the biggest proponent of cross play.
    Now they don't want to play nice with MS and suddenly they are some sort of anti crossplay boogeyman.

• @binarymelon lol it's not tin foil hats. It doesn't cost money to have an Xbox account and play their games on the windows store. This is a push to get ppl attached to their service. Sony doesn't want to encourage their user base to start having Xbox accounts... but like I've mentioned before, do you ever sit down and think to yourself, man I really wish I could play with Xbox users... I don't. And I'm sure most of u don't neither. Until Now.

If I made a feature list and gave it to Sony of all the things I want my PS to do, cross play using a Xbox account would be on the bottom of the list.

• @CGamor7 said in PS4 Cross-play:

do you ever sit down and think to yourself, man I really wish I could play with Xbox users... I don't. And I'm sure most of u don't neither. Until Now.

Yes I've often thought that, especially with niche games where fragmenting the fanbase is harmful. The xbox/ps split coupled with the region splitting made Armored Core 4 & 5 less fun than they could have been

• @CGamor7 The Live account is something Microsoft has stipulated for Minecraft. It has nothing to do with cross platform play in general. If Psyonix were allowed to turn on global cross platform play you wouldn't need to create an xbox live account to play.

• @Sieghardt I feel like that doesn't apply to this generation, at least for Playstation.
    You have to realize that the PS4 has sold more than all it's competitors... combined.

• @El-Shmiablo so not everyone is better than everyone, why?