Cross-platform play

• I read as much of this thread as I could, but I gave up cause everyone is just trying to slide the blame back and forth to the other party. Couldn't Sony show they're the bigger man by just allowing this instead of "stooping to Microsoft's level"? Can't we just agree that what's happening here and now is bad without trying to justify it with Sony's or Microsoft's past actions? You can still speak out against Microsoft having done it in the past or Sony being crossplay friendly with other games, but neither of those things are the center of this conversation which is what Sony is doing here and now, which is something you shouldn't agree with, especially if you disliked and are wanting to speak out about Microsoft doing it in the past. By saying that, you're acknowledging it's a bad practice, so this shouldn't be your basis for allowing Sony to do it now.

• How many cross play sony games are there and how many cross play xbox games are there. Sony has been doing cross play with ps2.

PS4 and PC
    Street Fighter V
    War Thunder
    Rocket League
    Paragon

PS4, PS3 and PC
    DC Universe Online

PS3, PC, and Macintosh
    Portal 2

PS2 and PC
    Final Fantasy XI

Playstation Vita and PS4
    Phantasy Star Online 2

Xbox One and Xbox 360
    World of Tanks

Xbox One and PC
    Gears of War 4
    Forza Horizon 3

Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC, Macintosh and Linux
    Rocket League

• @ib0show said in PS4 Cross-play:

How many cross play sony games are there and how many cross play xbox games are there. Sony has been doing cross play with ps2.

PS4 and PC
    Street Fighter V
    War Thunder
    Rocket League
    Paragon

PS4, PS3 and PC
    DC Universe Online

PS3, PC, and Macintosh
    Portal 2

PS2 and PC
    Final Fantasy XI

Playstation Vita and PS4
    Phantasy Star Online 2

Xbox One and Xbox 360
    World of Tanks

Xbox One and PC
    Gears of War 4
    Forza Horizon 3

Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC, Macintosh and Linux
    Rocket League

For PS2/PC crossplay era don't forget Phantasy Star Universe, 360 was entirely separate for that.

• @ZyloWolfBane I guess I have an incomplete list

• Also forgetting Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn for PS3/PS4/PC.

Oh also Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale for PS Vita/PS3.

• @ib0show I don't know what you are calling sony games, sony developed/published games perhaps? as far as I know the only crossplay sony games were Sony Online Entertaiment's
    Crossplay is a developer decision, the problem is that developers wants to make a more ambitious implementation and sony is blocking them.

• I guess it comes down to the fact that Sony doesn't need to do it. Xbox is looking better, but until we see a few more big AAA games come out (Single player RPGs is what they need, in my opinion) I don't think Sony has to change. They'll take a big PR hit, especially if they aren't upfront about it, but they can afford to take that hit.

I don't think it'd hurt Playstation that much.

• @LordBaztion Developers have been doing Cross Play on Sony games for years, I just showed a list. Now all of a sudden Sony is blocking them? Where was everyone else years ago.

• @ib0show said in PS4 Cross-play:

@LordBaztion Developers have been doing Cross Play on Sony games for years, I just showed a list. Now all of a sudden Sony is blocking them? Where was everyone else years ago.

It's not often I can agree or back you up on ANYTHING, but damn....it's so true it hurts, people only focus on the narrative NOW, when the groundwork was already out there for this to be a big deal, the most relevant example was during the PS3 era and the PS3 was 11 years ago! 11!

So from THAT point in gaming history Microsoft has had chances during the slowly growing online gaming market to bring us together when it mattered SO MUCH MORE than it does now, and they said no.

And again to repeat myself for the umpteenth time, everyone on that side of the fence thought this was hilarious because it was such a dig at sony fans to be left out of things, no matter what it was. Couldn't get anybody to care.

I'm sorry but that went on this whole time and NOW Microsoft only cares when it's a property they own or a game that's already established on PS4/PC and they want a slice of the pie?

Like I've already said, no way man. Sony has zero reason to care, doesn't matter. Doesn't benefit anybody but microsoft, only their fans want this that badly.

• I also want to add DC Universe Online is no longer owned by Sony and that game is out on Xbox One but cross platform play is not available.

• @ib0show Oddly enough it wasn't until well after the SoE split that they added cross platform play to the PS3/PS4/PC versions.

• Global Moderator

I wonder if a small part of this is the added cost of supporting this. It's not just a case of turning it on. When things go wrong, or 'My son can't connect to his friend playing Minecraft on Xbox' who would get the support call? Sony would. Added cost regardless.

Not a massive reason for not allowing it but probably enough of a headache to put a mark against it.

Another reason (valid or not) could be look at what happened to Sony with the network and PS3. The massive data hack, jailbreaking, piracy not to mention the larger Sony Corp stuff like the email leaks. Perhaps they are just weary of opening up their system to any kind of external factors, not necessarily issues of actually putting multi system cross play in, but the psychology of it.

Lots of factors go into this kind of decision other than Sony being evil.

• This post is deleted!

• As others have said, a big part of this for MS is getting you to create an Xbox Live account.
    It helps inflate numbers for their financial portfolio, and gives them your juicy info so they can sell it for sweet, sweet adbux.
    They've realized that they effectively dead in the water this console war, so creating a connected ecosystem of all their shit and your shit is their next best bet.

• @ib0show sony was open to crossplay with PC way before MS or Nintendo opened their platforms and that was a forward thinking investment that, at the end, was benefitial to everyone up to the point that forced Nintendo and Microsoft to chance their stance on the matter. However, Sony seems reluctlant to take the next step on a race they started.

Certainly MS and Nintendo were closed to crossplay before but, unlike before, now there is a concrete proposal and an open invitation for crossplay from Microsoft and Psyonix and I think we, as a community, should be backing it since its benefitial for all.

@MCRMJ said in PS4 Cross-play:

I wonder if a small part of this is the added cost of supporting this. It's not just a case of turning it on. When things go wrong, or 'My son can't connect to his friend playing Minecraft on Xbox' who would get the support call? Sony would. Added cost regardless.

Not a massive reason for not allowing it but probably enough of a headache to put a mark against it.

Another reason (valid or not) could be look at what happened to Sony with the network and PS3. The massive data hack, jailbreaking, piracy not to mention the larger Sony Corp stuff like the email leaks. Perhaps they are just weary of opening up their system to any kind of external factors, not necessarily issues of actually putting multi system cross play in, but the psychology of it.

Lots of factors go into this kind of decision other than Sony being evil.

Regarding the highlighted part, this is what Jeremy Dunham (Psyonix's boss) said:

“We want to take care of our players. But from our perspective, if PlayStation already allows cross-network with PC, which is the least regulated of any of the partners, then in theory, having Xbox and Switch in there should be fine. They’re a lot more regulated. From our perspective that concern is already handled. That’s taken care of.”

@El-Shmiablo creating a XBL account may be a reason for Minecraft but it isn't for Rocket League.

• How come my post got deleted?

• Global Moderator

@CGamor7 I removed it as the image was enormous.

• @MCRMJ fair enough lol. Didn't realize it was so big initially.

• Tim Sweeney supports crossplay on all platforms too, and this comes from the guy who thinks microsoft is trying to destroy PC as an open platform.

• It seems Jim Sterling is on the apparent right side of the equation too.
    Youtube Video