PS4 Cross-play

• Just wondering if there's been much discussion in the EZA communit regarding this? It seems like a pretty stubborn and anti-consumer stance to take considering just about everyone else is on-board. There's a pretty long discussion going on in the GAF forums. Puppeting Jim Ryan out to say it was for the safety of the PSN users was an absolutely ridiculous tactic in my opinion

• I personally think this is MS stirring the pot. You throw something like this out there, they know the Internet will explode. Makes them look good. As much as Jim Ryan's answer is BS this isn't as big of a deal as it needs to be. Would I like cross play? Sure why not. For the most part it doesn't seem like such a big deal, But it would barely impact most ppl lives. I just think in the context this is being presented, it's more about making Sony look bad then actually giving a shit about opening things up.

On a side note, I think it would be really cool to see Xbox vs PS multiplayer matches for fun lol. Imagine them integrating s over ranking for which console you play for. The console wars...

• @CGamor7 Even if that is the intent, it doesn't mean the outcome would be bad for consumers. Also Psyonix put this out there months ago when they said they had a solution ready for cross platform play, Sony just had to give the go ahead to allow them to turn it on.

• @binarymelon yeah I agree, that's pretty much what I said, the outcome wouldn't be bad. I just don't care for the intent. Sony is being unreasonable. Just say it comes down to business. Don't sit there and say it's unsafe lol. I wonder what a true legitimate concern would be for them.

• I think cross play is very important for gaming communities. Particularity for games that have low player counts that split between platforms. Could easily cause an earlier shutdown.

But I think the issue is more broader, than what media outlets and select gamers are making it out to be. This hasn't been done before on such a propsed scale. Like, how do you ban cheaters on a Live account. When the complaint is from a PSN user ? What systems and transparency is in place to investigate such claims. If anyone's account information is compromised, how wide can it spread. What other legal issues have to be sorted out and so forth. Things like this require intense negotiations.

• @-Jak- I thibk you brought up some good points.

Also a broader issue for other games such as shooters would never have cross play between console and PC. Would be unbalanced.

• I've been following closely this topic on gaf and I'm still bafled how some people is so adamant to defend Sony's stance, not just this but also EA Access, Backwards Compatibility and Refunds. Are not bad, neither game changers but definitelly makes a better ecosystem.

Personally, the only reason for not allowing this is because it will diminish the value of their closed ecosystem since every platform could potentiallly benefit from their user base. Sony's decision doesn't handicap PS4 users (except in the Minecraft case where they won't receive any future update), on the contrary allowing it could only benefits the interested users, so there is no reason to prevent crossplay. The protection of children is hilarious and the XBL sign in explanation is delusional.

As a primary Xbox user, I'm very glad Nintendo is follwing this inniciative and hope to see more games utilizing this feature, so far we have 4: Minecraft, Rocket League Gunscape and Wargroove.

• @-Jak- You wouldn't be able to report players from other systems unless the game has it's own account system. That's really no different than how existing cross platform implementations work.

Edit: Looks like someone got a little bit of traction on a hashtag. If anyone also wants to send their concerns on to PlayStation.
    Mentions: @PlayStation @yosp @ShawLayden
    Hashtah: #PS4Crossplay

Retweet, favourite, etc. tweets on the following page:
    https://twitter.com/hashtag/PS4Crossplay?src=hash

• I'm sorry but I disagree, MS is only leveraging Minecraft for this. Something that they could've did at any time and they're trying to do it now when nobody really cares that much. The drama surrounding it is getting more press than the actual facts here.

Flashback to the 360/PS3 era and Sony wanted to do the same thing, and Microsoft also said NO. But now that they're on the decline we're gonna use minecraft (Something MS OWNS) as the olive branch? That just....sounds really crappy if you ask me.

Meanwhile Sony has had several games with cross-play features with steam, I don't blame them for wanting to avoid Microsoft here. They had their chance, let them lie in the bed they made for themselves.

It's a logistical nightmare anyway when you consider the multiplayer services at play here, different quality servers, etc. There's no reason for me to care either as most multiplatform online games have a bigger community on either PS4 or PC, so why do I want people from XB1?

Plus, when the 360/PS3 era started I had already been a pretty big fan of Microsoft, I loved my original Xbox, I bought a 360 before I bought a PS3 so I had my time with XBL, and....by far the worst community and worst customer service I had ever experienced in gaming.

Granted this is confirmation bias on my end, but it's My experience, and if I had the option I'd want to avoid anyone from that console, it's not what I pay SONY for.

I think if microsoft REALLY thought this was important and was for OUR benefit ("Our" meaning gamers) they would've done this sooner instead of throwing their money around to keep games exclusive to their console (360) for as long as they did and made them more widely accessible to everyone and open the borders for multiplayer, and they also wouldn't be trying to divide PC gamers between steam and their own Windows 10 store right now either.

But I think they avoided doing it because PS3 had free multiplayer at the time, and 360 did not, perhaps they were afraid to lose subscribers?

Either way, devil's advocate here but keeping things separate is also BETTER for us. Why? Because competition drives innovation. And if we happily co-exist then they get complacent.

• @ZyloWolfBane said in PS4 Cross-play:

I'm sorry but I disagree, MS is only leveraging Minecraft for this. Something that they could've did at any time and they're trying to do it now when nobody really cares that much. The drama surrounding it is getting more press than the actual facts here.

Flashback to the 360/PS3 era and Sony wanted to do the same thing, and Microsoft also said NO. But now that they're on the decline we're gonna use minecraft (Something MS OWNS) as the olive branch? That just....sounds really crappy if you ask me.

Meanwhile Sony has had several games with cross-play features with steam, I don't blame them for wanting to avoid Microsoft here. They had their chance, let them lie in the bed they made for themselves.

It's a logistical nightmare anyway when you consider the multiplayer services at play here, different quality servers, etc. There's no reason for me to care either as most multiplatform online games have a bigger community on either PS4 or PC, so why do I want people from XB1?

Plus, when the 360/PS3 era started I had already been a pretty big fan of Microsoft, I loved my original Xbox, I bought a 360 before I bought a PS3 so I had my time with XBL, and....by far the worst community and worst customer service I had ever experienced in gaming.

Granted this is confirmation bias on my end, but it's My experience, and if I had the option I'd want to avoid anyone from that console, it's not what I pay SONY for.

I think if microsoft REALLY thought this was important and was for OUR benefit ("Our" meaning gamers) they would've done this sooner instead of throwing their money around to keep games exclusive to their console (360) for as long as they did and made them more widely accessible to everyone and open the borders for multiplayer, and they also wouldn't be trying to divide PC gamers between steam and their own Windows 10 store right now either.

But I think they avoided doing it because PS3 had free multiplayer at the time, and 360 did not, perhaps they were afraid to lose subscribers?

Either way, devil's advocate here but keeping things separate is also BETTER for us. Why? Because competition drives innovation. And if we happily co-exist then they get complacent.

I'm sorry, but MS used to be on the wrong side if this so that justifies Sony doing it now is it a good excuse.

Also something that you seem to have a misunderstanding on is who's servers your playing on the your playing the types of games that would support this. For example with Rocket League you play on servers owned (actually rented from Google) and managed by Psyonix. The main difference is they have to manage a pool of servers for steam/PS4 users and a pool for win10/xbox/switch users. You don't ever play on PSN or xbox live servers, PSN is little more than a glorified messaging/chat service.

• A few autocorrect spelling mistakes in the above post but the spam filter won't let me edit for some reason.

• @binarymelon said in PS4 Cross-play:

@ZyloWolfBane said in PS4 Cross-play:

I'm sorry but I disagree, MS is only leveraging Minecraft for this. Something that they could've did at any time and they're trying to do it now when nobody really cares that much. The drama surrounding it is getting more press than the actual facts here.

I'm sorry, but MS used to be on the wrong side if this so that justifies Sony doing it now is it a good excuse.

Also something that you seem to have a misunderstanding on is who's servers your playing on the your playing the types of games that would support this. For example with Rocket League you play on servers owned (actually rented from Google) and managed by Psyonix. The main difference is they have to manage a pool of servers for steam/PS4 users and a pool for win10/xbox/switch users. You don't ever play on PSN or xbox live servers, PSN is little more than a glorified messaging/chat service.

Ok, but would that be the case for every game going forward?

Most every game that's multiplayer is Peer-to-Peer. Could games like For Honor really benefit from having "Open borders" in this situation? Or would this initiative just be with a small amount of games like Minecraft and Rocket League? Cause...I mean if it's the latter situation then I don't see why this is such a big deal.

I personally play neither game, I have rocket league and I never play it. I'd need something substantial like say global cross play for Destiny 2 to really care about this sort of thing.

• @ZyloWolfBane said in PS4 Cross-play:

Ok, but would that be the case for every game going forward?

Most every game that's multiplayer is Peer-to-Peer. Could games like For Honor really benefit from having "Open borders" in this situation? Or would this initiative just be with a small amount of games like Minecraft and Rocket League? Cause...I mean if it's the latter situation then I don't see why this is such a big deal.

Even peer to peer could benefit from this. The dev would need to host their own matchmaking servers (like I think Bungie does; was completely shocked when I learned Destiny was p2p). I think Live offers some sort of matchmaking services for devs, but I don't think Sony offers something similar (at least I can't find any reference to it).

• I'm with Zylo. Sony were the first to support cross play across several platforms, but now that Microsoft is desperately trying to retain it's playerbase this is getting blown way out of proportion.

MS are so thirsty that they've essentially become PS3 era Sony, but minus games and sales.

• @El-Shmiablo I don't really care what MS reasons for doing it are, the outcome would be in the best interests of gamers. It's not even just MS lobbying Sony for this, Psyonix has been asking for it since last year.

• @binarymelon said in PS4 Cross-play:

@El-Shmiablo I don't really care what MS reasons for doing it are, the outcome would be in the best interests of gamers. It's not even just MS lobbying Sony for this, Psyonix has been asking for it since last year.

While true, they did agree for the sake of PC and PS4 cross play. They're only denying XB1 right now. It's a business decision.

• Even if it is a case of "ooohh but its MS doing this for this reason", and "well, Sony is not doing this for this reason", the only losers are the gamers.

Personally, I am not a huge online player, BUT I do understand the disappointment of wanting to have an online game with someone but not owning the same hardware. It could be a younger generation thing which we are going to see a lot more of with the passage of time, but multiplayer to me will always be running round to my friends house with a controller and a game in hand, to hook it up to the one console. These days, we all know MP takes on a whole new meaning, so once that first instance of cross plat was opened up, then the expectations, requests and demands from gamers were only ever going to grow and grow.

• @ZyloWolfBane People weren't so quick to defend MS for their "business decision" to implement online DRM prior to this gen beginning.

• @El-Shmiablo

PS3 haz no games though. :3