Trailer Jones: Scores and Discussion

• Hello everyone! While watching the Episode 0 version of the show live... well via Twitch's VOD, I thought it would be a neat idea to keep up with all of the trailers scored, each Ally's score, and the composite score itself. Also, since this is a forum, please feel free to leave your thoughts about the trailers and whether or not you agree with Allies (with Love & Respect of course ;-] ).

Official breakouts will be linked into the episode header to watch when available.

June 2017 - E3

Episode 0: E3 2017 Edition

A Way Out

Jones: 8.3, Bloodworth: 8.4, Bosman: 8.9 = Composite 8.5

Beyond Good & Evil 2

Jones: 8.9, Bloodworth: 8.9, Bosman: 9.2 = Composite 9.0

God of War

Jones: 8.8, Bloodworth: 8.7, Bosman: 6.8 = Composite 8.1

Super Mario Odyssey

Jones: 9.0, Bloodworth: 9.4, Bosman: 9.5 = Composite 9.3

The Evil Within 2

Jones: 8.8, Bloodworth: 8.9, Bosman: 9.0 = Composite 8.9

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite

Jones: 5.8, Bloodworth: 5.4, Bosman: 4.6 = Composite 5.3

July 2017

Episode 1: Starcraft Remastered - We Are Under Attack
    Just the trailer

Jones: 7.5, Bloodworth: 7.0, Bosman: 6.0 = Composite 6.8

Episode 2: Everything
    Just the trailer

Jones: 9.5, Bloodworth: 8.8, Bosman: 9.5 = Composite 9.3

Episode 3: Overwatch - Doomfist's Origin Story
    Just the trailer

Jones: 9.0, Bloodworth: 8.4, Bosman: 8.1 = Composite 8.5

Episode 4: Ready Player One: SDCC Teaser
    Just the trailer NOTE: This is the same edit MINUS the logos at the front as seen in this episode

Jones: 8.4, Bloodworth: 7.6, Bosman: 8.6 = Composite 8.2

• Episode 1 uploaded

• Would it be better to keep the scores within spoilertags? In case someone hasn't seen the episode, and don't want any of it spoiled.

• Do we know how/why we can get new episodes even though we're just shy of 45k? I know Hoeg Law worked some magic, but I still don't know what that means.

• @jipostus That's a good idea. Also, I think it's just like regular reviews where many just want to see scores and not know the words or thoughts behind them, but I'll try to implement it.

@naltmank It's on a per week per monthly goal met basis. So how I interpret it is: Hoeg Law bumped up their Patronage so the over $45,000 was processed through Patreon. This means for every week in July (at most; production schedules always push things back, i.e. Community Comments) we'll get an episode. However, if the goal is under $45,000 for August, the show will go on hiatus until the funding is reached once again. Hope that helps answer your question.

• admin

@naltmank said in Trailer Jones: Scores and Discussion:

Do we know how/why we can get new episodes even though we're just shy of 45k? I know Hoeg Law worked some magic, but I still don't know what that means.

Hoeg is donating enough that should make up the difference to get us to $45K. We won't know the true final number for June until payments finish processing around the 5th, but by my calculations, it should easily be above $45K, which funds the show through July. The number currently displayed is what's on deck for next month, but much of that difference will come back as declined payments are corrected. As we approach the end of the month again, Hoeg will give whatever he thinks will be enough to keep us above the goal.

• @Bloodworth said in Trailer Jones: Scores and Discussion:

Hoeg will give whatever he thinks will be enough to keep us above the goal.

That's actually very generous if the contribution is shifted to make sure a goal is met. Naturally I don't know the exact numbers but the gesture is cool.

Thanks for the heads up Blood.

• admin

Payout came through this evening. For anyone that was worried, it did come in comfortably above the $45K goal.

• This is maybe a bigger discussion, but I think the point system is kinda silly. You have essentially a 100 point scale for a trailer of all things - that's more granularity than your actual reviews! That + the fact you have three reviewers and there's a ridiculous amount of available points / actual points

I think it'd make sense to unify everything under the stars system. More consistent, and plus the graphics treatment for the EZA stars is excellent and should be used more often

• Bump for the now live Episode 2!

• I can not fathom how that can be considered a good trailer, let alone that good of one.

• I thought it was pretty good. These kind of games are always hard to sell and the literal concept of this game is the philosophy of Alan Watts mechanically rendered into visual form - so I'm pretty sure this is a great way to demonstrate it.

• @Tragosaurus For what the game actually is, it's an exceptional trailer. I can easily say Everything isn't for everyone but for those willing to challenge convention a bit, I think it's an important game. Not only is Alan Watts some brilliant listening material, it's rare we ever get to see philosophical concepts in games, much less see them have mechanics relating to the concepts presented - only Persona and Jung spring to mind. It's an extremely honest trailer from the other gameplay videos I've watched, as you mostly control various "objects" in the universe, shrinking/growing in scope and size, while Watts discusses his philosophy with you.

The only thing that felt "off" about the conversation about the trailer is how they mentioned the trailer might rely on Watt's speech a bit too much. Considering he's got a lot of dialogue in the game, it makes sense to include a lot of it in the trailer because he obviously inspired the game and in some ways, is a feature of it. I do agree though, it's a bit on the long side.

Also, if anyone at all was interested with what Watts was saying, there's a ton of his speeches available on YouTube, sometimes with animations and such demonstrating his points. I highly recommend checking him out. Even if you don't necessarily agree with his thoughts, he's got a unique worldview that he articulates well and offers a fresh perspective.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Trailer Jones: Scores and Discussion:

Considering he's got a lot of dialogue in the game

Oh he does? I didn't know that, I just figured it was a thing used for the trailer. In that case including so much of it made sense, but I think 10 minutes is way too long.

I will admit it is hard for me to separate this trailer and my interest in the game because of how absolutely little I care for this game, and that's on me. There are plenty of games I'm not interested in with trailers I can get behind, this is just not one of them. I thought it was absurdly too long for what it was and relied solely on Alan Watts' VO, but if the VO is actually in the game then I can take that part back.

• @Tragosaurus Yeah, Kyle mentioned it as well but it kinda got buried and ignored in the discussion. When I was watching the Grumps play through it, my initial impressions were of course to laugh at the walking "animations" but then I really perked up once I heard Watts' voice.

• I miss the intro/outro music that was used during the E3 Trailer Jones. :(

• I love it when a trailer makes me feel stupid for wondering why everyone else loves it.

• Episode 3 is live!

• I accidentally read the comments section. Be forewarned: people arguing about whether a thing is or is not "anime" as far as the eye can see.

• This trailer made me wish they had someone in on the discussion who was more of an Overwatch fan. I would have loved the opinion of a fan on how the trailer worked, cause this is a trailer more concerned with impressing fans.
    But overall I agreed with them, even though I knew all the answers to their questions about when it takes place and whom Doomfist is. It was fun seeing a traditional animated trailer instead of the CG ones, which I think worked best for this. Doomfist pretty much killing Tracer I don't think would have worked as well in CG.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.