Final Fantasy IX

• Hi everyone,

I just finished my first playthrough of Final Fantasy IX, and I wanted to share my thoughts. Before I do, SPOILER ALERT! I figure enough time has passed where this is okay to discuss, but you never know when it's someone's first time!

So, to start off, I really liked it! I was worried going into it that it wouldn't live up to the hype, but I'm happy to say that it's passed FF4 on my list as the number 2 Final Fantasy game (it's still too fresh for me to decide if it'll pass 6 for my number one spot). Of course, it wasn't flawless. I thought that the story dragged a bit too much for about half of the third disc. Pretty much, as soon as the events of the story weren't being driven by the core cast of characters, I felt like things fell apart. In general, I didn't like the introduction of Garland, and I thought that it was kind of disappointing that that was the storyline that essentially carried us through to the end. The stakes weren't as immediately personal as they were at the beginning and end of the game. Of course, it did lead to one of my favorite scenes (with one of my favorite tracks) in the history of the series, so I can forgive it a little bit. I also really didn't like the final boss. In general, I don't like the introduction of a god-like villain to face at the very end just for the sake of it, and Necron also just felt thematically redundant. But the real reason I hated this boss is because the fight felt like bullshit. It took me three tries to beat him, not because my tactics were bad, but because freaking Grand Cross would insta-kill at least two party members and give a super crippling and unavoidable status effect to the other two. The first try I somehow managed to get people revived in time for him to do the exact same thing again, followed by a Neutron Ring and some random magic attack that just wiped me. The second try he did grand cross in the FIRST ROUND of attacks, wiping out Dagger and Steiner, giving Zidane zombie, and severely both Zidane and Vivi in terms of damage. The neutron ring that immediately followed it up at least cut the fight short. When I did finally beat him on the third try, it was only because he used Grand Cross late in the fight, by which point the insta-death to Dagger was kind of moot anyway. Pretty much, I just didn't like how it felt so based on luck.

But enough with the bad, onto the good! First off, much has already been made of the characters in this game, but it bears repeating: this is probably the best cast of characters in the series, perhaps second only to 6. I loved everyone. I ultimately kept my party to the original Zidane, Dagger, Vivi, and Steiner as much as possible, since it felt the most appropriate in terms of everyone's arcs. Even Quina, who I originally just treated as a comic-relief character, got a great ending in the castle kitchens. I also appreciated how the game paired characters off at times to flesh out their relationships; the scene where Zidane tells Vivi it's okay to cry really pulled on my heartstrings. Everything felt so fleshed out and wonderful.

I also loved the role storytelling played in the game. Starting with the play (which is my favorite way of telling you what will happen in the story), whenever characters sat down for storytime it always felt important. Zidane's "story" about the boy without parents to Dagger was beautiful.

I could go on and on, but I just wanted to share these initial thoughts with you all to see if anyone would like to jump in. What do you guys think of this game? Do you love Necron and think I'm a big dumb dumb? Let me know!

• Global Moderator

This is my favourite RPG game of all times. I think its partly down to that I played it in a critical time of my life where each character really spoke to me! I might do a longer post in here later (at work now). But to anyone who hasn't played it yet: give it a go!

• @Lotias The epilogue where they show how all the characters ended up almost made me bawl. They just felt so complete.

• @naltmank it does get a bit trite towards the end as things come to a head in the narrative but I still love FFIX to bits. There are two main reasons why this game is so good.

The first is the characters. All of them break through their archetypes and have something to say about the world of the game and their place in it. They clash in terms of ideals and personality but all come together through the journey that is the wider story to become a complete unit of friends. Which is something very few games manage to pull of.

The second reason is the playfulness of the game. From the overall presentation to the side story events to including stage sword fighting mini-games it is a game packed with fun and engaging systems that keep you going just to see what you will be able to do next. Sadly this tales off a lot towards the end of the game as the saving world narrative takes centre stage. Still there is a lot of cool and fun shit to do in this game!

• As someone with limited experience with the FF franchise, 6, 10 and part of 13, I have a huge desire to play FF9 as it seems like one of the most appealing games in the franchise alongside with Tactics for me, I hope I'm able to get to it sometime soon.

• I agree with the final boss being kind of lame. I don't ever remember having any issues with beating it though. Vivi is prob my favorite video game character though. And I even love Quina.

• If you like IV, you generally like IX, and if you like both then be prepared to never experience what either has to offer ever again in future titles because that era of Square is done and over with.

• @Art Yeah, I really hope XVI is more old school, but I don't mind them veering off and trying new things. I never finished 12 because I hated the combat, but I really liked the story and music. I just started Suikoden 2, but after that I was thinking about trying 10 because I can play it on my vita. Either that or Dragon Quest 8 (3DS). In no hurry to decide, though.

• The dust has settled and I'm happy with it at number 2. Not quite as uniformly perfect to me as 6 is, but still super good overall. Vivi's monologue in the epilogue has really stuck with me as one of the most emotionally resonant moments in a game ever. It just brought the character full circle in such a perfect way. I also really love the end of the Zidane/Kuja arc; even though I think Kuja could have been developed a little more throughout the game (as opposed to backloading it), that last shot of them together in the Lifa tree is so good. So, overall, awesome game.

• @naltmank Suikoden 2 is fucking majestic. You are playing some god-tier RPGs back to back.

Also, FFX is trash.

• @thenerdtheword said in Final Fantasy IX:

@naltmank it does get a bit trite towards the end as things come to a head in the narrative but I still love FFIX to bits. There are two main reasons why this game is so good.

The second reason is the playfulness of the game. From the overall presentation to the side story events to including stage sword fighting mini-games it is a game packed with fun and engaging systems that keep you going just to see what you will be able to do next. Sadly this tales off a lot towards the end of the game as the saving world narrative takes centre stage. Still there is a lot of cool and fun shit to do in this game!

As much as I love the game myself, I don't think it being whimsical necessarily makes a game, or Jrpg for that matter, a good one. It could just as easily be off putting to someone, especially to some of the people that may have just come off FFVII and VIII.

I personally found FFIX got a lot better in its second half, especially after Brahne died.

• I feel FF9 is a pretty mixed bag.
    It does some things really well and other things less so. For example in terms of combat gameplay it is the weakest out of all the PS1 FF games (especially considering how easy it is). Some characters make very little sense (be it in terms of gameplay or story) while others are really good. The story is overall pretty good, but takes some big dips here and there. The (over)world feels a little underdeveloped.
    Etc.

Hm, I'd still probably rank them FF7 > FF8 > FF9. 7 is the most well rounded of the three while 8 has some really interesting or downright fantastic gameplay sections (seriously, the last "dungeon" in 8 is probably the best end dungeon in any RPG I've ever played). IMO the FF series peaked with the FF6-FF9 games. I can totally see why people would prefer 9 over most other FF games though.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.