SEGA Forever - free SEGA games for Android and iOS

• http://forever.sega.com

SEGA® Forever™ is a free and growing classic games collection of nearly every SEGA game ever released from every console era – Master System, Genesis/MegaDrive, Dreamcast, and more. Available on iOS and Android mobile devices.

-Play free
    -Save your game progress
    -Leaderboard -- compete with the world for high scores
    -Controller support -- fully integrated wireless Bluetooth controller support
    -Offline play
    -Games released every month; download them all!

Youtube Video

Glad I just got a G4s controller for my Galaxy S8+!

• For the life of me, I can't find the "catch" here. It truly looks like they're just releasing great, free games. Oh look, Kid Chameleon!

• @SabotageTheTruth maybe they don't think they have much of a chance of profiteerting much more from this games, and are looking for some good image or exposure of this properties ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

In any case it doesn't seem to be available on my country yet :(

• @bard91 It's just refreshing and strange to see. The first Sonic and Altered Beast are on the list of free games and while I do think they could still sell them successfully, it's nice they aren't going the Nintendo route and making us buy them again and again and again and again.

• @SabotageTheTruth apparently and I could be wrong but I read there's in app advertisements. So my best guess is that instead of letting this stuff just sit around doing nothing, they decided to create something where they have ppl all congregate in one place to play their games and make at least some revenue through ads.

General thoughts: I think it's a good idea. I kind of wish I could use this in PC or Console but in this case maybe it makes the most sense go mobile. will definitely be interesting to see how this goes. Now if Sony would give me a Netflix type subscription for every ps1 game ever made with Netflix prices. Cmon on ppl!

Also, the switch really needs to take advantage and start allowing mobile games and apps like this one to be on it. There's so much potential for these types of things.

• Wow that's impressive!

Kinda pointless without a controller, but for those with the equipment that's pretty awesome. Good job Sega!

More details here: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-21-sega-forever-the-nostalgia-trip-that-could-transform-the-companys-future

The model that we're taking - it's not a paid model, it's ad-supported [with a single $1.99 purchase to remove the ads]

About 90% of the games so far are in Unity. After this, there are options: we can look at desktop, Facebook, we could even take these games to consoles like Switch.

Sweeeeeet!

• I think this is a great mechanism to bring more Sega games to mobile and house them in one place. It looks like it will be $1.99 to remove ads from each title. I'm down for that.

• @CGamor7 As you mentioned I imagined that this comes from an attempt of getting some profit from adds, so I doubt we would see something similar to this on PC or other platforms were they likely have a much better chance of actually selling this games.

• Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part but maybe it'll tie in with their promised revivals of old IPs? Maybe they just want to get people playing the classics so the revivals will mean more to them?

• http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-21-sega-releases-classic-games-on-mobile-for-free-but-at-what-cost

According to Eurogamer / Digital Foundry, those new versions don't run well at all, the framerate is extremely janky even compared to previous ports of games like Sonic on older phones.

• Banned

Nintendo: "That'll be $10 for one 15 year old rom plus tax. Tip not included. Cross platform especially not included."

• @Axel yup that's been my experience. Using a Galaxy S8+ and Altered Beasts runs a bit janky. Don't know why Sega doesn't just partner with one of the emulator creators and use it as a platform to sell their old games.

I'm a little disappointed they aren't offering a Sega Forever app that we can use to launch the games from. For now, you have to search for each game on the store and download them individually.