Ataribox

• I didn't see anything about this here and only just learned about it from scrolling through the archive of Polygon. I guess it was teased as early as June 8 but Polygon's article wasn't posted until 8 days later.
    The gist of the tease is Ataris is "back in the hardware business". The teaser video posted to Youtube is title "First look: A brand new Atari product. Years in the making". It seems to have wood paneling. That's really all we've got so far.

What will the Ataribox be? What does it need to be to make an impact? Is it just an emulator or a beefy box?

• @Tragosaurus I find it hard to believe it would be a competitive console. It's gotta be something smaller and more retro focus. I don't think we will ever see a new console from anyone. The people (Steam) that have the best chance at making a console won't because who knows what they do over there lol.

If they do happen to be making a high end console then I'm pretty sure it will fail immediately. unless! This happens to be a console that allows apps such as origin, steam and or GoG to be on it. That would be a successful console lol.

• @CGamor7 I have to agree, but all the fanfare will seem real silly and a bit much if its just an Atari Classic or some strange emulator. If they did make a PS4/Xbox/Switch competitor it almost positively won't have any exclusives, it would have to be successful before thy could get those. Similar to your unless theory my idea was some box that could support mouse+keyboard and controllers, with free online services that was 100% crossplay with PC. I have no idea if even that could make a dent, or how you go about really convincing people to buy this over just getting a PC, because that's pretty much what I just described. Haha.

• @Tragosaurus i agree seems a bit over the top for a retro box lol, but it's gotta be right? But I think how it could appeal to ppl of its a high powered console is if it does something like what Steam should have done. Make a powerful console that uses steam on your tv. It would definitely make me stop and think if I'm gonna buy a new video card or that. They would definitely need a partnership with someone here. I'm sure origin would be completely fine with allowing its service to be on a console if it is a open platform like PC but in console form. I'm sure Steam would too. Because otherwise this is a complete waste of time lol.

• The real question is will ET actually be successful on this new console?

• Steam did try to make a console (kind of). Steambox was a thing but I don't really see it anywhere or anything about it anymore. It focused on bringing PC to the TV but the thing is that PC users where content with using a regular monitor, and now we have SteamLink. There really is no need, nor demand, for bringing PC to the living room in a seperate box. SteamLink got you covered without having to pay $1000+ for another seperate box. And I think they said somewhere that it isn't a "classics" console. But I really don't see what they could bring to the table. I mean, they are a publisher, so they could make the devs they publish for go exclusive. But I honestly can't remember starting a game recently where "Atari" popped up in the start up logo show.
    I am worried but intrigued .

• Half Life 3... Atari exclusive

• @Fridge-man Yeah the only issue with the SteamBox was that it was kind of an abstract idea. It wasnt a console designed by Valve or any one partner for that matter to make one box that ran Steam as its OS. SteamLink is a good idea but i read many people having issues with it and its best when both the pc and steam link hard wired to the internet. But yeah, the Atari things is who knows what lol.

• I signed up for email updates and got one this morning. I can't access the Ataribox page to see if they posted the email there but this tweet seems to be the best option available right now.

The images are fairly easy to find but here's a tweet with them all.

"...a front panel that can be either wood or glass, a front facing logo, indicator lights that glow through the material, and an array of new ports (HDMI, 4xUSB, SD). We intend to release two editions: a wood edition, and a black/red edition. As you can guess, those ports suggest modern internal specs. It also means that while we will be delivering classic gaming content, we will also be delivering current gaming content."

There is still no real information, essentially just pictures of the box itself, so not much more to speculate off of now.

• I think its going to fail in today market. who are its target audience? what they support? same third party developers that microsoft and sony support since last gen. even microsoft and sony have less exclusives compare to prev generations.

maybe new atari will have some exclusives but what will they? today sony, microsoft and nintendo compete. i dont think 4th one have chance. especially PC also compete.

their business will fail.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.