What are the top 3 Best FPS release this generation?

• So my friends, we have seen in past years many good and bad FPS games released. in this thread we talk about the best one.

so what are the top 3 best FPS you have played this gen so far?

heres mine

1.Doom (by far and away)
    2.Metro Redux
    3.Prey

All 3 games are Excellent imo. Metro redux even it consist of 2 games from last gen but its best remastered ever because it fix all the problem with either games. its basically better version of 2 really amazing games.

• Depends on what you mean by FPS.
    Do you define FPS as simply "A game played in first person and you shoot"? Then is it the shooting aspect that shines in these games or what?
    I mean you could call Resident Evil 7 or Warhammer Vermintide FPS games?

The reason I ask is because mechanically the shooting is pretty poor in Prey and Metro, so I'm wondering what the criterias are.

• es.

@suplextrain said in What are the top 3 Best FPS release this generation?:

Depends on what you mean by FPS.
    Do you define FPS as simply "A game played in first person and you shoot"? Then is it the shooting aspect that shines in these games or what?

The reason I ask is because mechanically the shooting is pretty poor in Prey and Metro, so I'm wondering what the criterias are.

Metro shoooting is fine. if you played redux version.
    Prey is FPS/RPG. so shooting has to suffer.

1. DOOM
    2. Overwatch
    3. Quake Champions

I haven't played that many shooters this gen, but DOOM is everything I want in a shooter. I love that game, and it was my GOTY last year for a reason. Overwatch is pretty good fun, though I'm not that good in that, and some people actually hate me for not being professional e-sport gamer who could carry a team on it's own (at least it seems like that... the toxicity in that game is brutal, and it's been growing as time has passed), so I don't want to play it anymore, this is where Quake Champions comes in... Though it's not released yet, from what I've played in the beta, it's great. Not DOOM level of great, but still tons of fun.

• I actualy agree with your #1, I usually don't like modern FPSs but the new Doom was pretty good.

1. Titanfall 2
    2. Doom
    3. Battlefield 4

• I haven't played all that many so far. Actually I've only played three but I did enjoy them all. Wolfenstein and Metro were amazing. Killzone Shadowfall isn't in the same tier but I still had fun with it. I can't wait to play Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and Metro Exodus.

1. Wolfenstein: The New Order
    2. Metro Redux

• Titanfall 2, after a while I likes it more than the first one. Map design is much better in the first one but I don't see myself playing it without the hook

Doom, the pace of that game is excelent

Overwatch, I haven't played it but it seems to be a very good game based on the cooverage and retention it has.

• Global Moderator

Just curious, what counts as this generation? I've seen Metro Redux & Wolfenstein brought up but both of those came to last generation consoles (Well the individual games for Metro)

• For multiplayer, Overwatch is leagues and bounds my favorite - its my favorite multiplayer game of the decade for sure. It does everything right for me: it has a sense of style, it has a large number of gameplay styles so you don't get bored easily in a session, and, most importantly, it does its best to encourage objective play. Design decisions like the lack of a team scoreboard, and giving anybody who damages a killed enemy an Elimination rather than one kill and several assists really encourage teamwork. Its similar to how Halo 3 encouraged objective play by making the scoreboard literally just objective caps. I personally play multiplayer games only for the win instead of for personal performance, so this is huge for me. Yes there are a lot of people who still play selfishly, but compared to other games Overwatch makes a good effort.

After OW, I'll have to give the nod to Titanfall 1. I know a lot of people prefer 2, but TF1 was just a much more tightly, better designed game imo. Everything felt coherently designed to bounce off each other, rather than TF2 where I feel the ideas are in conflict. I can elaborate more if anybody wants, but it would be a rant otherwise so I'll hold off, haha

Regarding single-player shooters.....I guess Wolfenstein? I honestly haven't played that many. I'm the only person on the planet who couldn't get into the new DOOM - I play on console, and, while functional, the insane pace is clearly designed for M+K. I love the Metro games, but it feels cheap to call them "this gen." Have no interest in Prey. Etc

• In no particular order, and more than 3.

Doom
    Rainbow Dix Seige
    Wolfenstien The New Order/The Old Blood
    Dishonoured
    Overwatch

• Global Moderator

1. Titanfall 2
    2. Dishonored
    3. Doom

• @El-Shmiablo said in What are the top 3 Best FPS release this generation?:

In no particular order, and more than 3.

Doom
    Rainbow Dix Seige
    Wolfenstien The New Order/The Old Blood
    Dishonoured
    Overwatch

I can't believe R6:S slipped my mind! Definitely give that my number 2 slot. That game is a one of a kind gem.

• Squad
    Rising Storm 2
    Battlefield 1 Back to Basics mode

@suplextrain said in What are the top 3 Best FPS release this generation?:

Depends on what you mean by FPS.

The way I see it, when we use genres to describe games we're really talking about the core engaging aspect of the game. So while RE7 certainly is played in first person, the primary focus of the game is the Horror, not the first person shooting.

• @Lotias said in What are the top 3 Best FPS release this generation?:

1. Titanfall 2
    2. Dishonored
    3. Doom

but dishonored is not FPS.

• Really not sure anymore, I want to put a number of games that I normally wouldn't count as pure FP shooters. There's also games where the line is blurred as to what gen it really falls into. I'm going to put Prey, but not count RE7 and I'm going to consider Shadow Warrior as this generation as it's only been ported to PS4 and XBone.

1. Prey
    2. DOOM (2016)
    3. Shadow Warrior (2013)

• @Black-Cell Then what is it?
    Prey shouldn't be considered an FPS if that is the case.

• @El-Shmiablo

In prey. you spent time shooting ink pot. and you have to to progress especially they give you ammo, med, some object to recycle and on and on

• @Sheria said in What are the top 3 Best FPS release this generation?:

Really not sure anymore, I want to put a number of games that I normally wouldn't count as pure FP shooters. There's also games where the line is blurred as to what gen it really falls into. I'm going to put Prey, but not count RE7 and I'm going to consider Shadow Warrior as this generation as it's only been ported to PS4 and XBone.

1. Prey
    2. DOOM (2016)
    3. Shadow Warrior (2013)

you like prey more than doom?

otherwise shadow warrior 2013 was really good game. shame its sequel suck and a mediocre loot shooter.

• @Black-Cell said in What are the top 3 Best FPS release this generation?:

@Sheria said in What are the top 3 Best FPS release this generation?:

Really not sure anymore, I want to put a number of games that I normally wouldn't count as pure FP shooters. There's also games where the line is blurred as to what gen it really falls into. I'm going to put Prey, but not count RE7 and I'm going to consider Shadow Warrior as this generation as it's only been ported to PS4 and XBone.

1. Prey
    2. DOOM (2016)
    3. Shadow Warrior (2013)

you like prey more than doom?

otherwise shadow warrior 2013 was really good game. shame its sequel suck and a mediocre loot shooter.

I do actually. Prey truly is a phenomenal game, a real rarity these days.