Hitman: Season One (PC/PS4/XB1)

• Global Moderator

Youtube Video

Another game I'm a bit surprised no one made a topic for. Anyway, the complete season seems to have gone on sale in a few places and I decided to pick it up on the EU PSN for (I think) €24.

I played the beta for the game so I went through the tutorial stuff fairly quickly. I remember it taking ages to load and not being a huge fan of 'instict'. At least the load times have definitely been improved.

Anyway, I did play the Paris level. Firstly, I love how silly this game is. I spent that first playthrough just messing around and couldn't stop laughing. Crouching in public, colliding into people, holding a kitchen knife. It makes the game so much better that it doesn't take itself seriously.

After that run, I did take a more subtle approach. Like Dishonored 2, which I just completed, this game is a proper sandbox in terms of opportunities. I'd a blast disguising myself as Kruger, walking the fashion carpet, having a meeting and assassinating one target and dropping the huge chandlier on the other.

I think the game does two excellent things for being episodic content. Giving you challenges and unlocking new items and starting points for the mission.

• The challenges give you that incentive to go back and try something new and also make you wonder, how the hell do I do that. There are so many parts that you can completely miss or avoid, so it's cool that they try to get the player to explore and play the levels as much as possible.

• As you complete a mission, you get experience and unlock new starting locations/disguises and items to use. You can get more experience by doing a better job and completing more challenges so both of these combine to make you as the player try a different route.

Just some short things, the game looks lovely on a PS4 Pro. Just a really clean aesthetic. I'm also a bit surprised there seems to be a story here, or at least an antagonist. So I'm curious how it'll go.

I think this could be a game that I play kind of like a secondary game. Have one main game and come back to this for an hour or two spell every so often. That said, right now I'm pretty hooked on replaying the missions.

Has anyone else picked it up recently or completed the season?

• @tokeeffe9 said in Hitman: Season One (PC/PS4/XB1):

I think this could be a game that I play kind of like a secondary game. Have one main game and come back to this for an hour or two spell every so often.

This is how I play Hitman. I'm about 20 hours in and playing around in Sapienza.

Something else that I love is the Souls style story-telling, where the story in each mission is told via voyeurism. Many A True Nerd has done videos on every level apart from Paris, so it's well worth giving them a look once you've finished with a level.

Youtube Video

• Funny thing is I just recently completed Dishonoured 2 this weekend & immediately bought Hitman on a PSN sale for £18.99. I'm just in the mood for these type of games at the minute. I've only played through the tutorial missions so far, I'll have a chance to play it on Wednesday & Thursday as its a national Holiday. I've never played a Hitman before & I've heard good things about it.

• Global Moderator

@FutureCorpse Haha nice, sounds like we're on a very similar path with the games we're playing!

Unfortunately spent most of my time on Overwatch last night so didn't get to more Hitman. Hopefully Friday I'll be able to tackle it a bit more.

• Global Moderator

Still haven't had a chance to play it but I do see that the final elusive target is up for 10 days.

alt text

So I'm hoping I'll have put enough time in, to try out this mission. I really love the idea of elusive targets.

• Was my GOTY2016

• Global Moderator

Well I completed the main missions and story today and had a go at the elusive mission yesterday.

I have to say the story fell a bit flat for me. It all feels a bit predictable and more so like the story is happening around you rather than you as 47 directing it which is how parts of the story does go but I just didn't love it.

But that's probably my only real complaint. All of the missions are really impressive. Like I mentioned before, you just have a lot of opportunities to in each level. I think I enjoyed Colorado the most. I just had a lot of fun with how I got through that level. I didn't find Bangkok that interesting but I've still got a lot to do in that mission.

As for the elusive mission. Oh boy, what an absolute mess. I just did one dumb thing to another and in the end I just had no idea who was carrying the intel and was eventually taken out after I killed one person in the crowd and was just surrounded. The mission did lead to the following funny moment anyway - Twitch clip

So my issue now is that I've so many games to play that I don't have that motivation to keep going back and replaying these missions. I really believe Hitman as an episodic game is actually the best way to play the game. Hopefully I will go back to play it more but right now, I don't know if I will.

• @tokeeffe9 said in Hitman: Season One (PC/PS4/XB1):

But that's probably my only real complaint. All of the missions are really impressive. Like I mentioned before, you just have a lot of opportunities to in each level. I think I enjoyed Colorado the most. I just had a lot of fun with how I got through that level. I didn't find Bangkok that interesting but I've still got a lot to do in that mission.

I've just finished up with Bangkok. The way I'm playing through the game is by getting to Mastery Level 20 on each mission and then moving on. I'll then go back and play about with Custom Contracts, Escalations and clean up the challenges.

I think this is a good way to tackle it, as getting to Mastery Level 20 means you see most if not all of the story content in the level and it takes a good while to get there (Bangkok took me 6 hours). This generally means completing all the Assassination Challenges, which usually completes a decent amount of Discovery and Feat through osmosis. This tends to leave 10-15% of the normal challenges left and you don't need to touch things like Sniper Challenges or Vampire Assassin challenges.

So far I would rank the missions Bangkok = Sapienza > Marrakesh = Paris. Bangkok is great, there's some great story moments littered throughout and Jordan Cross is a fantastically written character (an absolutely nasty, but broken, person). The various opportunities and assassination methods really flesh out the characters, and features one of the rare moments where 47 can actually confront one of his targets!

So yeah, give Bangkok some more time. I especially recommend trying to orchestrate it so that Cross and Morgan run into each other.

• Global Moderator

@Hazz3r That's really cool to hear. I'll try and give it more time some day so. I generally only hit between level 6-13 on each mission.

• New Content is coming!

New Content is coming! It's not Season 2, so my best guess is, given the time frame, it's going to be a new Bonus Episode, hopefully Halloween themed which would be really fun. Halloween party map would be awesome :)