Has Your "Favorite" Game Ever Changed?

• @Brannox

I don't see a situation where The Last of Us Part II is not better than the original. The main complaints were all gameplay related and not story related. We know they'll tell another amazing story and the gameplay has nowhere to go but UPPPPP. It isn't like the AI is going to be dumber. My only concern is that the AI didn't improve a lot in Uncharted 4 and I know that game has a different approach to AI, but I still get the feeling that Naughty Dog needs work in that regard.

Either way, it's going to be better. Trust me.

• @GoTaco All I'm trying to do is not get hopes too high. Their already into the stratosphere, but The Last of Us Part II is one of the few games I can't foresee ANY step backwards. That doesn't mean I shouldn't be cautious. Anything can happen, but I agree.

• This is a good question for me, given the circumstances of this year having a new 3D Zelda game in Breath of the Wild, which I absolutely love, with my all time favorite game being Ocarina of Time.

To be upfront, Breath of the Wild did not overtake Ocarina's importance to me, but it's the first Zelda in a long time to really challenge Ocarina's placement as my favorite Zelda game, and game in general. There are many things BotW does better than OoT, the overworld, and its emphasis on freedom and exploration blows any other Zelda game out of the water.

However, the reason I treasure Ocarina isn't merely because it was a big deal to me as a kid. I find it to be to this day the most complete Zelda package I could want. It's got a great balance of dungeons (which is where BotW falls short on the hardest), combat, story, characters, music, sidequests, and more. Other Zelda games have surpassed Ocarina on certain fronts, but they usually focus on one or two aspects majorly, whereas Ocarina covers everything well to me.

I think if the next Zelda game takes what made BotW so great, and brought back what it lacked, (traditional dungeons, more vibrant music, and a more interesting story) then Ocarina could get topped. Oh, and make Link left handed again Nintendo, that will score some points for the next game. ;)

• My favourite game thing is a bit weird. I have 6 favourite games. Despite owning the NES and SNES, Ocarina of Time was the 1st game I could genuinely call my favourite game. Then I played MGS and it didn't replace it but it just joined it. Then MGS3 joined them, then Uncharted 1, then The Last of Us, then Spelunky. So I have 6 games I consider my favourite games. I couldn't name just one.

• Chrono Trigger is kinda hard to top. I'm not sure if can be done at this point. My top 5 has changed a bit over the years, but there simply is no beating CT :)

• @gwnner

That isn't even weird. The more I think about it, I have too many favourites as well with just a pretty firm top 2. Like another user said, it is a lot easier to pick a favourite game by genre because some things are hard to compare.

Going along with the original topic of your favourite game changing, you play various games at different times in your life and you have different outlooks on things as time progresses. My old favourite game was multiplayer and now I don't even bat an eye at MP. I also went through a major handheld phase as a kid because I gotta be doing something in the back of the car when my parents had to drag me around anywhere (besides listen to Aqua, Spice Girls, Fresh Prince, and all that good stuff, lol). Pokemon was likely my favourite then, but it sure isn't now

• @gwnner Spelunky doesn't get the love it deserves. I'd say it's my favorite, "hey, I've got 20 minutes with nothing to do" games out there by a mile.

• My fav games change time to time.

• Global Moderator

When it comes to lists I always put Shadow of the Colossus top but as people have said, it's difficult to think of only one favourite games, I've so many.

I do feel like SotC is a special game for several reasons. The scale of it, the epic encounters, the vibes, the isolation, soundtrack etc. Just your understanding of this world as the game progresses. It's a beautiful and bittersweet game and now I'm going back to watch the remake trailer! Thanks a lot Sabotage!

Update: In fact, I've looked back on forum posts and I see I've switched between MGS3 and SotC as my top game so I guess that answers the question!

• @SabotageTheTruth Spelunky is endlessly replayable. I've made over 8000 runs. As well as being a great "I've got 20 minutes to spare game," it's also my desert island game.

• For those of you that have mentioned your favorite isn't likely to change or mentioned a game older than a decade - what would it take for a new release to make it to the top of your list?

• @SabotageTheTruth Probably emotional impact, but a variety of factors contribute to that: Life situation, head space, the game itself of course, and many others. Because of this, I can't see a change happening due to some pretty unique circumstances placing my top two where they are, but emotional impact is the only thing that comes to mind.

• @SabotageTheTruth Katamari HD remake

• @SabotageTheTruth A new Goemon in that style, I'd even take a remake, hell, doesn't even have to get localized.

• @SabotageTheTruth If a game that has the depth of ADOM (Which is insane), but has more modern gameplay, I might Replace ADOM with that. But Turrican II can only be replaced by properly done HD-remaster or -remake. With Chris Huelsbeck doing the music.

• So I might be taking a weird spin on this, but here's a clip from Her for some idea of where I'm coming from -

Youtube Video

Here's the quote that is semi-relevant - "Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel. And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt." So besides that being a depressing concern that will occasionally pop its head into my life, I feel as though it does somewhat tie in to the idea that a new favorite is impossible. That to me is troubling as it makes the future seem lesser than the past. I'm wondering if cherishing something from our past too much actually removes the chance of us fully accepting something new in our lives, which may actually be better/have more of an impact if we gave it the opportunity it deserves. All I know is, I have officially begun to read too much into this, haha.

Ah well, it's a happy day if I get to share a clip from Her... which coincidentally features Alan Watts as well. Getting lots of opportunities to talk about him today it seems like.

• @SabotageTheTruth Here's the thing. While I think that my Favorite games/movies/whatever can't be replaced by anything else (Unless it's better versions of those same things), because I think they're the greatest things ever, but if it happens that something new comes up, that I could have never even dreamed about, that just might replace my favorite game/movie/whatever. It's always possible. But I'm not mentioning that because that hasn't happened often to me, but I know plenty of people who has had that happen to them, and the feelings they share of that discovery are always so great to hear.

I actually secrectly wish everytime when E3 or other big event like it is going on, that something completely new comes out, that I haven't even dreamed of. Hasn't happened so far, but I'm always hopeful.

• @SabotageTheTruth Just takes a game that resonates more with you with lasting power to come out. It's honestly not really the kinda thing you can say in the moment right when you first play it, because you'll be blinded by hype for something, but if you're a year past playing some game and it's still always on your mind and you're wanting to revisit it and thinking about the characters or music or whatever then there you have it, a new favorite has been born. Sometimes it takes even longer to realize, might take a long lineage of a series, either watching it grow or watching it crash and burn to realize how you felt about one of the titles in particular was grander than you ever gave it credit for before. Time is an important factor, and it will make the personal importance you place upon things swell and diminish.

@SabotageTheTruth said:

"Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel. And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt."

I usually see people who are depressed speak like this. I guess it's like a fear that the best moments of their life are behind them. While I can't tell those people "No, you're being ridiculous," because honestly I can't relate well enough to that mindset to understand what they're going through, I tend to just respond by sharing my viewpoint that if you're bored and worn by the daily things in your life you have to reach out and expand your horizons to find new things.

This can be applied to pretty much anything, but especially video games. If you have open world fatigue, because you've been playing nothing but open world games, take a break from that and play some games you'd normally never touch. If you're curious about something, go for it. It doesn't have to be "for you". Sometimes you can find a good time with things you're pretty sure you won't enjoy as they're similar to things you didn't enjoy in the past, because you're always changing which means your tastes are always changing.

A personal example for me is I know I'm not really into competitive shooters, but when I saw Splatoon I was curious to try it, and I ended up loving it for all that was there beyond the typical competitive shooting experience, and that's opened my eyes to give other shooters since more of a chance than I otherwise would have before. I'm not sure I would've played the amazing Doom (2016) without Splatoon, which sounds ridiculous on paper, but that's where staying open-minded led me.

Plus the video game industry is alive and well and constantly inventing new games that don't fit comfortably into existing genres or blend existing genres together so seamlessly they practically exist as a new genre, so try to be less dismissive and more open to trying things across the board whenever you have the opportunity to. I know Persona 5 was a big game for people who thought they already had seen everything a JRPG could be, how high the genre could soar, but were blown away by the depth and polish of the package.

@SabotageTheTruth said:

I'm wondering if cherishing something from our past too much actually removes the chance of us fully accepting something new in our lives, which may actually be better/have more of an impact if we gave it the opportunity it deserves.

It's not really cherishing something too much, just being unwilling to give new things as fair a shake. "I've already played Chrono Trigger, the best RPG of all time, so why would I play Xenoblade Chronicles?!" You're still allowed to love your Chrono Triggers dearly, just don't let them prevent you from trying new things too.

• @TokyoSlim I don't think I want something more then a new Katamari game.

• I don't have a singular favorite game.

My favorite game of any long running franchise never changes though. No matter how good the newer instalments can get.