Has Your "Favorite" Game Ever Changed?

• @SabotageTheTruth Probably emotional impact, but a variety of factors contribute to that: Life situation, head space, the game itself of course, and many others. Because of this, I can't see a change happening due to some pretty unique circumstances placing my top two where they are, but emotional impact is the only thing that comes to mind.

• @SabotageTheTruth Katamari HD remake

• @SabotageTheTruth A new Goemon in that style, I'd even take a remake, hell, doesn't even have to get localized.

• @SabotageTheTruth If a game that has the depth of ADOM (Which is insane), but has more modern gameplay, I might Replace ADOM with that. But Turrican II can only be replaced by properly done HD-remaster or -remake. With Chris Huelsbeck doing the music.

• So I might be taking a weird spin on this, but here's a clip from Her for some idea of where I'm coming from -

Youtube Video

Here's the quote that is semi-relevant - "Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel. And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt." So besides that being a depressing concern that will occasionally pop its head into my life, I feel as though it does somewhat tie in to the idea that a new favorite is impossible. That to me is troubling as it makes the future seem lesser than the past. I'm wondering if cherishing something from our past too much actually removes the chance of us fully accepting something new in our lives, which may actually be better/have more of an impact if we gave it the opportunity it deserves. All I know is, I have officially begun to read too much into this, haha.

Ah well, it's a happy day if I get to share a clip from Her... which coincidentally features Alan Watts as well. Getting lots of opportunities to talk about him today it seems like.

• @SabotageTheTruth Here's the thing. While I think that my Favorite games/movies/whatever can't be replaced by anything else (Unless it's better versions of those same things), because I think they're the greatest things ever, but if it happens that something new comes up, that I could have never even dreamed about, that just might replace my favorite game/movie/whatever. It's always possible. But I'm not mentioning that because that hasn't happened often to me, but I know plenty of people who has had that happen to them, and the feelings they share of that discovery are always so great to hear.

I actually secrectly wish everytime when E3 or other big event like it is going on, that something completely new comes out, that I haven't even dreamed of. Hasn't happened so far, but I'm always hopeful.

• @SabotageTheTruth Just takes a game that resonates more with you with lasting power to come out. It's honestly not really the kinda thing you can say in the moment right when you first play it, because you'll be blinded by hype for something, but if you're a year past playing some game and it's still always on your mind and you're wanting to revisit it and thinking about the characters or music or whatever then there you have it, a new favorite has been born. Sometimes it takes even longer to realize, might take a long lineage of a series, either watching it grow or watching it crash and burn to realize how you felt about one of the titles in particular was grander than you ever gave it credit for before. Time is an important factor, and it will make the personal importance you place upon things swell and diminish.

@SabotageTheTruth said:

"Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel. And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt."

I usually see people who are depressed speak like this. I guess it's like a fear that the best moments of their life are behind them. While I can't tell those people "No, you're being ridiculous," because honestly I can't relate well enough to that mindset to understand what they're going through, I tend to just respond by sharing my viewpoint that if you're bored and worn by the daily things in your life you have to reach out and expand your horizons to find new things.

This can be applied to pretty much anything, but especially video games. If you have open world fatigue, because you've been playing nothing but open world games, take a break from that and play some games you'd normally never touch. If you're curious about something, go for it. It doesn't have to be "for you". Sometimes you can find a good time with things you're pretty sure you won't enjoy as they're similar to things you didn't enjoy in the past, because you're always changing which means your tastes are always changing.

A personal example for me is I know I'm not really into competitive shooters, but when I saw Splatoon I was curious to try it, and I ended up loving it for all that was there beyond the typical competitive shooting experience, and that's opened my eyes to give other shooters since more of a chance than I otherwise would have before. I'm not sure I would've played the amazing Doom (2016) without Splatoon, which sounds ridiculous on paper, but that's where staying open-minded led me.

Plus the video game industry is alive and well and constantly inventing new games that don't fit comfortably into existing genres or blend existing genres together so seamlessly they practically exist as a new genre, so try to be less dismissive and more open to trying things across the board whenever you have the opportunity to. I know Persona 5 was a big game for people who thought they already had seen everything a JRPG could be, how high the genre could soar, but were blown away by the depth and polish of the package.

@SabotageTheTruth said:

I'm wondering if cherishing something from our past too much actually removes the chance of us fully accepting something new in our lives, which may actually be better/have more of an impact if we gave it the opportunity it deserves.

It's not really cherishing something too much, just being unwilling to give new things as fair a shake. "I've already played Chrono Trigger, the best RPG of all time, so why would I play Xenoblade Chronicles?!" You're still allowed to love your Chrono Triggers dearly, just don't let them prevent you from trying new things too.

• @TokyoSlim I don't think I want something more then a new Katamari game.

• I don't have a singular favorite game.

My favorite game of any long running franchise never changes though. No matter how good the newer instalments can get.

• I've given up on having a single "favorite game of all time," although when prodded my response typically falls to MGS2. For a while now, my top games have been LoZ: OoT, Okami, MGS2, and DkS1 - whatever tops that list changes depending on my mood. In 2017 though, that list has now been expanded to include BOTW.

As you can probably tell from the not-MGS2 parts of the list, I love a good adventure. If you are willing to let it sink its hooks into you and play how it wants you to play (i.e. ditch the "completionist" mentality in favor of straight-up exploring), BOTW is simply the best adventure in gaming. Its the first game to make me truly feel like I was adventuring since I played OoT as a kid. In that sense, despite having the least in common with any 3D Zeldas, BOTW was really nostalgic in that sense. It has its issues, and it isn't a perfectly designed little bundle like an MGS2 or SOTC, but I love that adventure.

• @SabotageTheTruth Her is a masterpiece.

I don't know what it would take for something to usurp gold version, because nothing has taken its spot as my favorite game. My opinion of... everything that I consume is never entirely subjective; personal factors will always cloud my judgments, no matter how much I believe it won't. Probably one of the reasons I don't like No Country For Old Men that much is because, even though I can objectively state all that's amazing about that movie, I watched it at a really trying time. Alternatively, a game could come along at just the right time in my life, thus taking Gold's spot on my all-time list. Who knows when that will happen, though. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop loving new titles, though!

• @SabotageTheTruth
    Code of Princess had potential to be a really great Guardian Heroes successor, but terrible performance, bad animation, and too much fanservice ruined it.

Tribes Ascend came close, but lacked proper base defense options and the day the nerfed flag capping speed is the day the game died.

I honestly don't think there will ever be another game like SMRPG. Maybe if Undertale was a little beefier, but as it stands SMRPG is still the best comedy RPG in the world.

• @El-Shmiablo Personally, I'd take Undertale over Super Mario RPG any day of the week. Better music, better emotional tone, and a really fun combat system. Can't wait for that beautiful collector's edition!

• @SabotageTheTruth Emotional tone?
    Bitch is you trying to tell me it wasn't the saddest shit ever when Mallow found out he wasn't a frog?

• @SabotageTheTruth I'm pondering on whether to get the physical versions of Undertale or not, I'm particularly concerned on it becoming expensive after a while.

• @bard91 I already pre-ordered mine. That music box locket is fantastic, plus the soundtrack, plus sheet music? It's too good. It looks like people are already selling them on eBay for over $100 so scoop one up if you have the extra funds!

• @SabotageTheTruth No way. Undertale doesn't have nearly the depth. They both have outstanding music, characters, enemy design, combat, story, etc. Undertale has the feels, but Undertale also has an extremely barebones Genocide mode that some of the best fights in the game is stuck behind. Super Mario RPG has sweet minigames, comedic charades, memorable locations, and unforgettable party members including Bowser of all things. UNEASY ALLIANCE!

I mean I love both games, but the only way I'm revisiting Undertale at this point is if they add a Boss Rush Mode, which isn't looking likely since Toby Fox is devoting his efforts to console ports (might as well be remakes cause he can't use the same software) now.

@El-Shmiablo I'd tell you to use spoilers for that but besides the game being so old... you know.

• @Mbun Agree to disagree. I've completed Super Mario RPG twice and I hardly remember any of the locations. I remember the minigames being frustrating (something about feeding Yoshi cookies?), and yeah, of course the party members are memorable, they already drew from a popular existing franchise! There's only one great fight hidden behind Genocide mode in Undertale and the whole point is to not play it that way. It's meant to feel bare bones and lonely to make you think about what you're doing - which is why I will forever defend the hell out of Undertale, it subverts expectations in a way most games couldn't even dream of.

First boss spoilers!

When I first played the game, I didn't know I could save Toriel in the fight since she stops responding at one point, so I struck her down. Her death... really hit me hard so I immediately went to Google to see if saving her was possible. Once I confirmed it was, I re-loaded the file and saved her life. Right after, Flowey tells me he knows what I did, that I killed her and then changed what I wanted to do. That even though I went down a different path, I would forever have to live with knowing that yes, I did actually kill her. That single moment will forever stick me with me. And that just happens in the first hour!

I do admit though, Undertale suffers from a severe lack of Bowser. That bad boy makes everything better.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Has Your "Favorite" Game Ever Changed?:

something about feeding Yoshi cookies?

Okay, that's probably the worst part of the game. There's a ton of other great ones like the multiple river ones, the one chasing Booster up Mount Marrymore, the curtain hiding one, the beak dodging one, etc.

of course the party members are memorable, they already drew from a popular existing franchise!

Not Mallow and Geno. They've never come back in a true sense since the game either.

It's meant to feel bare bones and lonely to make you think about what you're doing

Then don't stick the true Undyne and you know who fight behind it. Don't stick Flowey's backstory behind it either. That's why most people hate that character, because they never played Genocide and can't bring themselves to after playing the other routes, which hilariously is why Toby Fox added
    alt text

• @SabotageTheTruth I think I'm good with the regular version, which I hadn't seen was only 25$ so I'm far more likely to get it now.