Favorite Non-Gaming Stress Relievers

• Ever have days at work when you feel like the walls are caving in? In those moments, when you can't jump into another world to escape the harshness of reality, what do you do?

I often listen to a favorite song, or video game theme. Music somehow strikes my core and consoles me, even if I'm not really musically inclined at all.

• Sleep. Go to bed and rest. It really helps (at least for me) :sleeping:

• I've recently started to practice Mindfulness. I have ADHD, and a handful of other psychological situations going on.

"If you are depressed you are living in the past.
    If you are anxious you are living in the future.
    If you are at peace you are living in the present."
    -Lao Tzu

Mindfulness is a type of meditation technique, unique to each person. For me I simply focus on the color of things around me, their shape, texture, etc. The analogy is like a CPU. My brain spends 80% of its power freaking out about things in the past or future. By focusing on random things physically around me, it sort of grounds my thoughts in the present. There's days I can only do it for minutes, others where I have extremely stress-free relaxing days practicing it. It's been an immense help in my life.

I actually see a lot of mindfulness practiced in the way the EasyAllies does stuff. When watching E3 videos, they focus on what is happening now - not letting what EA has done in the past, or what they might do in the future. They address it after the fact, but they always seem grounded in what is happening now. Huber seems to be able to do it effortlessly. It's admirable really.

• Don't always use it as purely stress relief but I enjoy Kickboxing as a physical activity that helps reduce stress, clears my mind and general helps me to try and stay in shape. I think its really beneficial to find some type of physical activity that you actually enjoy doing, weather its running, swimming, dancing, obstacle course, etc. Its much easier to stay healthy when you find something that you actually enjoy, if just working out doesn't interest you as much.

• J-oing? jk. Usually I like to sit back and play guitar to relieve stress.

• Either drinking an ice cold beer or enjoying a Whiskey Cola while smoking my favorite pipe and listening to some relaxing Video Game Music like Final Fantasy VIII or IX preferably in a dimly lit room on a comfy couch or chair. It's simple and some might say unhealthy but it works for me and that's all that matters.

• Global Moderator

I always find taking deep breaths and clearing my mind of all thoughts to be therapeutic. That or walking without my glasses on, which makes the world look really stretched out into the distance. For some reason the distorted proportions give me kind of a detached feeling from my body that's really soothing. Odd, but it's a phenomenon I've come to appreciate. Being alone is huge as an introvert, and as an artist painting can be extremely stress-relieving when it's not something commissioned or for a near show.

• I try to take my lunches seriously and leave my desk (unlike my coworkers who surf the web). I then try to read. Having that little escape let's me reset for the afternoon half of the day

• @Stormcrownn Sounds like something I'd like to start practicing myself. I find myself getting angry while playing games these days and I don't like that feeling at all. I keep telling myself to calm down but it always ends up the same way. I hate not feeling in control of myself. I love games and I don't want to give them up but I might need to take a break from them if I can't keep myself calm while playing them.

It's been a slowly progressing problem that feels out of my control. Like I'm holding my hand in boiling water even though I know it's burning me.

• Some things that have helped me when I begin to get overly stressed or in my depressing moments is to read self help books. The first book I read was "The Nerdist Way" by Chris Hardwick. I found a lot of useful tips in his book. I began to read/listen to a lot of self help books, even if they weren't good, they helped put me in a better frame of mind.

On a day to day basis though I try to sit or lay in a quiet room and just think, many times listening to music. In relation I'm trying to learn to meditate, sit in a quiet room and try to think about nothing. It has definitely calmed me down many times. Life is so hectic and everyone, including myself, is always on the move or consuming things so it's nice to try and forget about everything for a few minutes.

• @Light I cannot recommend mindfulness enough. I was telling someone I hate meditation, I just think too much. And then he explained that instead of "emptying" your mind, have it just casually observe things around you, focus on them, and just keep doing it.

There's days when I can do it while doing other tasks for hours at a time, some days only for mere moments.

• @Nillend I do sleep a lot too! It really does help! ^_^

Thank you!

• @Stormcrownn That quote is very true. I suffer mostly from anxiousness because the future scares me.

I'm going to try that technique as well. Thank you for sharing. ^_^

• @TheMarcV I have a boxing bag, I should use it more! Yeah, working out has never really been my thing. <_> My arms are lanky and they get super sore easy.

• @ParkPants If only I could play an instrument. I do enjoy acoustic music, though.

• @ChaoticMeltdown Not a drinker or a smoker, but I do love FFVIII's soundtrack. Particularly this theme. ^_^

• @KProseus I have tried breathing techniques. Unfortunately, they don't work for me all that well. :/ I guess because I overthink it. T_T

Strangely, wearing my glasses calms me actually. I recently got them (about a month ago after an eye exam) and I feel a lot less insecure when everything fully comes into focus. Then again, that may not last as I get older.

I'm an introvert as well. (INFP to be exact) So I do find comfort in solitude, though, I have noticed as of late more of a desire to not be alone. My brain is cooky. XD

• @Lexad Fantastic idea. I have fallen into the "just surf the net' thing many times. I'm makin' lunch real time!

• @TheChrisGriffin Great ideas! Thank you much! ^_^

• @sam776 And that right there is exactly the song I usually listen to, to relax. Such a great song =D

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.