Sea of Thieves (XBO/PC)

• @Hazz3r did you all use voice chat

• @ib0show

Once I managed to get it working yeah. There's no indicator that your mic if transmitting so it took me a while to realise that my Windows default mic was configured wrong. Once I got that working then yeah, there was four of us all talking and chatting.

One really cool thing is that the boat controls are neither simple nor complex, they're somewhere in the middle. For example, we were pretty deep into a bay and needed to get out. There was no room for us to turn and you can't just put the boat in reverse.

So we dropped the front sail to half-sail and the back sail to full-sail. Then, you can change the angle of the sails so that they're either 90 degrees left or right, so we turned the front sail all the way right an the back sail all the way left. When we raised the anchor, the boat did a reverse 180 out of the port, missing a dock by mere feet.

I can't imagine the game being too fun by yourself, but in a group this game is amazing. We were laughing for ages afterwards how we were "pro pirates" for making that manoeuvre.

• I tried the beta yesterday by myself, cause I'm a coward and don't like voice chatting with people I don't know, and the game looks gorgeous on the highest settings on PC. Doesn't appear to demand that much performance either since I don't have the most powerful PC out there. I have a geforce 980 and am able to run the game on the highest settings in 2160p with a very high framerate in case anyone is curious, but that is by myself with no other player around so that might change for the worse once there are more players and bad weather and stuff around.

Would really like to try it with some allies so that I at least have some connection to the people I'm chatting with, but I suspect most people, including myself, will be quite busy with MonsterHunter Friday and onwards so that might not come to pass.

I will however still get this game when it comes out so if I don't see ya on the seas this beta, maybe I'll come across some of you at a later date at least.

• Global Moderator

Just updating this into the general Sea of Thieves topic.

Have to say I'm looking forward to this. Played a bit at EGX last year, had a blast and everytime I've seen it or heard someone talk about it, it's been positive.

• I'm missing out playing with some friends just because this is exclusivly on the Windows Store and requires Windows 10. Feels bad man.. (they don't have nor want Windows 10/an Xbone)

• Do the EZA guys have a video playing the beta? It certainly will be funny

• @FutureCorpse thank you

• I've been getting frustrated seeing people say they don't understand why people find this game appealing.

Do kids these days not dream of being pirates anymore? I thought that'd be a timeless, universal appeal.

• Well, EZA's stream wasn't much interesting, the best part was when that other pirate hook into their ship with them. Tha was funny.

I've watch other streams more entertaining. Personally I enjoy more watching others play.
    Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Any impressions of the final game ? I am on the fence of whether to buy it or no ...

• @blacknight9020 If you haven't tried Xbox gamepass before, you can try it for 14 days for free, which of course means you can play Sea of Thieves for free for 14 days. I'm doing that right now. This is on windows 10 btw, if that matters. Good luck and hope this works for you too.

• I'd say 'game passing' Sea of Thieves would be a safe bet if you're on the fence.

I have only played solo so far but I'm enjoying the game very much. Water is hands down the best water in any game to date, and the sailing is very relaxing. (water is also cloud powered, whatever that means) Because of the water effects this might be the only game I prefer playing 30 fps with higher fidelity visuals, the better looking water just adds so much to the overall experience.

I haven't seen any other ships yet, probably because all of the early voyages are so close proximity to the outpost they are given out of.

With the price of $10, you really can't go wrong.

• @marketplace_dc I really wonder if there is any physical asset rendering going on in the cloud, or if Microsoft just assumes people are idiots and think calculating wave patterns server side is "cloud processing".

• Global Moderator

Yup. I've jumped on the 14 day trial of gamepass to properly check this out so hopefully I'll get to put some time in after work and if I like it, I'll probably hold onto the gamepass until State of Decay 2 anyway.

• So is there an EZA Sea of Thieves community or something like that? I'd love to play with some allies for good vibes hunting treasure :)

• @gurrzilla Thanks ... checking it out on trail now :)

• Global Moderator

Still haven't got around to playing yet. What's the general consensus here?

From what I'm seeing in other places, it seems pretty mixed.

• @tokeeffe9 Mostly the beta with a couple extra new mission types from what I've heard. Also, there's been matchmaking and various other serverside problems around peak playing times the devs are scrambling to work out that don't largely affect gameplay but lots of small annoyances like delayed achievement popping and rewards when you turn in chests due to strained servers.

• Sounds like it’ll be a disappointment at least going by the talk on NeoGAF 1 and 2.0. Bummer for MS. The foundation is great but from day 1 of the announcement I thought this needed a single player campaign, hopefully Rare understands now that a multiplayer/coop sandbox isn’t enough and they’ll do a 180 and relaunch it as a SP game within a year.