Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?

• Hello,

So my friends. before the announcement of Metro exodus. i was almost sure that this generation no FPS game will dethrone Doom to become FPS king. but after the announcement of this game. it prove me wrong. Doom is already FPS king of this generation. and no game has come close to it. now i think if any game has chance. it will be Metro Exodus and heres why

• Metro is Excellent story driven FPS franchise.

• Previous Metro games were just linear but this new game is both linear and non linear. instead of going full open world. its going Stalker/Crysis route. this making it better than previous games in a terms of level design.

• The Atmosphere of Metro is unmatched.

• The story telling, voice acting, pacing, unique gasmask system. all made series excellent and new one will be.
    • Graphics are best. Metro games always push graphics to limit. metro 2033 in 2010 surpassed Crysis. and redux version is still one of the best looking game on earth. New game will be graphics king no doubt

Metro Exodus will have great Story, Gameplay, level design, graphics etc all in one. very few games manage to make all these things excellent. for example as much as i love Prey. its graphics are crap, its shooting not so good and enemy design was uninspired. but what make it excellent is game design.

In a case of Metro Exodus. it appears that it will have all in one. and heres the chance that i can become the best FPS of this generation and one of the best FPS game of all time.

what do you think? will it be new FPS king? I think yes

4A games never dissappoint before.

• I think wolfenstein new colossus has a better chance . Also doom is just ok

• No, but it'll be a fun game.

• You should probably play it before deciding whether the level design is better or not.

• I doubt it very much. I do love the Metro games, but neither game matches either Dooms gameplay, or Preys level design and exploration. There's no reason not to expect more of the same. It'll be up there, but very much doubt it being the best.

• I seem to remember a very similar question posed about Prey doing the same thing, becoming a milestone of the FPS genre. Then on a separate occasion, stating that Prey will be the best game of the year. Then Prey released and that talk immediately stopped - and it's even being put down in the original post.

Waaaay too early to be making hyperbolic claims is all I'm saying. I'm definitely interested in the game but until I get my hands on it, nothing will be better than Homefront: The Revolution this generation.

That last bit might not be my true feelings.

• Homefront isn't actually that bad.

• @Sheria said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

I doubt it very much. I do love the Metro games, but neither game matches either Dooms gameplay, or Preys level design and exploration. There's no reason not to expect more of the same. It'll be up there, but very much doubt it being the best.

New Metro unlike previous games is actually more like Stalker a semi open non linear game as a result it will have insane amount of exploration.

@SabotageTheTruth said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

I seem to remember a very similar question posed about Prey doing the same thing, becoming a milestone of the FPS genre. Then on a separate occasion, stating that Prey will be the best game of the year. Then Prey released and that talk immediately stopped - and it's even being put down in the original post.

Waaaay too early to be making hyperbolic claims is all I'm saying. I'm definitely interested in the game but until I get my hands on it, nothing will be better than Homefront: The Revolution this generation.

That last bit might not be my true feelings.

Prey is indeed best game of 2017. but its not better than Doom.

• No.
    The Metro games are rough (even more so at launch). The gunplay and level design was always average at best.

I also don't see why people feel the need to say that a game is the best ever or beats another game. Isn't it enough if you enjoy playing it?

• DOOM focused more on fun gameplay, whereas Metro series so far has been more into world, story and atmosphere. So I wouldn't compare the two, because I see them more as their own kind of games, while they do share the same gameplay style, which is FPS.

• Dude. All we've seen is some pre-canned footage passed off as "gameplay". You probably shouldn't start crying GotY until they at LEAST show some actual stuff from the game.

Also, how come Metro games get praised for the same things you shit on other games for?

• @suplextrain said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

No.
    The Metro games are rough (even more so at launch). The gunplay and level design was always average at best.

I also don't see why people feel the need to say that a game is the best ever or beats another game. Isn't it enough if you enjoy playing it?

other FPS games doesnot have atmosphere and story that metro did. like for example wolfesntein new order. very boring from start to finish.

• I can understand the excitement but it's way, way too early to tell, but Doom is certainly the FPS to beat this generation. The Metro games, much like the last Wolfenstein, are good not great games, so the devs have to make big improvements to produce something in Doom's league as far as I'm concerned.

• @Black-Cell said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

@suplextrain said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

No.

other FPS games doesnot have atmosphere and story that metro did. like for example wolfesntein new order. very boring from start to finish.

Subjective. I personally thought the story wasn't anything special, was clumsily told and the characters were extremely forgettable. Atmosphere and some interesting ideas did most of the heavy lifting in that game, for me at least.

On the other hand I was pleasantly surprised at the strong storytelling and worldbuilding in Wolfenstein New Order. I also cared way more about BJ than I ever did Artyom.
    Incidentally, if any FPS is to beat Doom this gen then I'd put my money on Wolfenstein New Colossus, not Metro.

• I already prefer New Order over Doom, even though I didn't like the characters and story as much as other people, I think part of that was that I came in with very high expectations from people saying it was great, and I found to be just ok, definitively looking forward to New Colossus, Doom I had fun with it for like two hours and then I lost interest.

Metro on the other hand I like both of them a lot, but the shooter part of them is what I probably like the least, so even if I like Exodus more than the Wolfenstein games I would still choose those as better shooters.

• Y'all silly, Overwatch is the best FPS this generation, obviously! :D

• @suplextrain i thought characters in metro are very memorable. for example i still remember khan and he is one of the best supporting character.

Metro story is basically better than lot of RPGs too like mass effect and witcher.

• @Exist-2-Inspire said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

Y'all silly, Overwatch is the best FPS this generation, obviously! :D

but its MP only. No SP and sold at full price = rip off

beside overwatch is anime version of team fortress 2.

• @Black-Cell said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

@suplextrain i thought characters in metro are very memorable. for example i still remember khan and he is one of the best supporting character.

Metro story is basically better than lot of RPGs too like mass effect and witcher.

Well if that's how you feel. Personally I found it to be extremely bland. I can't remember a single characters name. Very wierd that you feel that Metro's story and characters top the ones in Mass Effect and Witcher 3 (which I'm assuming is the one you're referring to?) since those are pretty much at the top. Oh well.

@Exist-2-Inspire said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

Y'all silly, Overwatch is the best FPS this generation, obviously! :D

but its MP only. No SP and sold at full price = rip off

beside overwatch is anime version of team fortress 2.

I don't understand that SP/MP mentality. No one complains that FPS' like Wolfenstein or Prey are only SP, but for some reason it's unacceptable for a game to only be MP. The Star Wars Battlefront moaning a couple of years back was unbelievable.