Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?

• I already prefer New Order over Doom, even though I didn't like the characters and story as much as other people, I think part of that was that I came in with very high expectations from people saying it was great, and I found to be just ok, definitively looking forward to New Colossus, Doom I had fun with it for like two hours and then I lost interest.

Metro on the other hand I like both of them a lot, but the shooter part of them is what I probably like the least, so even if I like Exodus more than the Wolfenstein games I would still choose those as better shooters.

• Y'all silly, Overwatch is the best FPS this generation, obviously! :D

• @suplextrain i thought characters in metro are very memorable. for example i still remember khan and he is one of the best supporting character.

Metro story is basically better than lot of RPGs too like mass effect and witcher.

• @Exist-2-Inspire said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

Y'all silly, Overwatch is the best FPS this generation, obviously! :D

but its MP only. No SP and sold at full price = rip off

beside overwatch is anime version of team fortress 2.

• @Black-Cell said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

@suplextrain i thought characters in metro are very memorable. for example i still remember khan and he is one of the best supporting character.

Metro story is basically better than lot of RPGs too like mass effect and witcher.

Well if that's how you feel. Personally I found it to be extremely bland. I can't remember a single characters name. Very wierd that you feel that Metro's story and characters top the ones in Mass Effect and Witcher 3 (which I'm assuming is the one you're referring to?) since those are pretty much at the top. Oh well.

• @Black-Cell said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

@Exist-2-Inspire said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

I don't understand that SP/MP mentality. No one complains that FPS' like Wolfenstein or Prey are only SP, but for some reason it's unacceptable for a game to only be MP. The Star Wars Battlefront moaning a couple of years back was unbelievable.

• Metro has one trailer and some details. That does not equate to "better level design". Those details in-theory can produce better level design, but if we believed everything said pre-release then every Peter Molyneux game would be the greatest game of all time.

• I can't see it myself, Wolfenstein 2 has more of a chance.

• @gwnner said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

@Black-Cell said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

@Exist-2-Inspire said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

I don't understand that SP/MP mentality. No one complains that FPS' like Wolfenstein or Prey are only SP, but for some reason it's unacceptable for a game to only be MP. The Star Wars Battlefront moaning a couple of years back was unbelievable.

Battlefront games used to have them. The Battlefront game you mentioned didn't have that (and was overall light on content) and was a full price game. That alone makes it understandable why people got upset.
    Then you also have to realize that SP is also for variation, for people that are not super into online multiplayer and to help players care more about what they're doing in multiplayer.
    For games like Overwatch it was a massive waste since they had a world and characters they started exploring in the CGI trailers but none of that was in the game. The game also relies heavily on precisely the characters and world. Incidentally Overwatch was also light on content.

It's legit criticism. Heck part of the reason I didn't bother with either game is precisely how light on content they were. I played in the Beta and that was enough for me.

• There is an extremely high chance I will love the new Metro game, and it will probably be my favorite single-player FPS this console generation. Despite being "post-apocalyptic first-person shooters," the prior two games really had this unique identity to them. The atmosphere and pacing were just top-notch.

But there is no planet where Metro Exodus becomes more fondly received than DOOM 2016. Metro simply fills a smaller niche. DOOM is a fast-paced, frantic game with awesome mechanics that makes you feel like a badass. Metro is a slow, atmospheric walk with intentionally slow shooting mechanics. Plus, 4A games won't be able to reach that same level of polish as something like a Bethesda can, they simply don't have the cash

• @Sheria said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

Homefront isn't actually that bad.

I think my friend, you should try titanfall 2. its much better SP game despite obviously its no Doom or Metro.

but much better choice than buggy broken homefront.

• @suplextrain I absolutely accept the light on content part but even if Battlefront or Titanfall had more MP content people would still complain about SP. It's always the way. But if criticism is because of "variation" as you say, then why the double standard? Wolfenstein had no MP, only SP yet there was no criticism. The same standard definitely is not applied to MP only games. I don't give a toss about MP games generally, but having played Battlefront for 30 or so hours and having also played Wolfenstein: New Order, I can say that I think Battlefront was a better game with more varied stuff to do. As well as being SP only, Wolfenstein had no replay value. It's just a lame double standard. Having said all that I'm way more excited for the new Wolfenstein than I am for Battlefront 2.

• @gwnner said in Will Metro Exodus surpass Doom to dethrone FPS king of this generation?:

@suplextrain I absolutely accept the light on content part but even if Battlefront or Titanfall had more MP content people would still complain about SP. It's always the way. But if criticism is because of "variation" as you say, then why the double standard? Wolfenstein had no MP, only SP yet there was no criticism. The same standard definitely is not applied to MP only games. I don't give a toss about MP games generally, but having played Battlefront for 30 or so hours and having also played Wolfenstein: New Order, I can say that I think Battlefront was a better game with more varied stuff to do. As well as being SP only, Wolfenstein had no replay value. It's just a lame double standard. Having said all that I'm way more excited for the new Wolfenstein than I am for Battlefront 2.

titanfall 2 SP is much better than its MP. there is a reason why many people skip it thinking its MP game after playing the beta.

titanfall 2 SP is actually good compare to new order, battlefield, COD and other mediocre shooters we got in years.

• @Black-Cell Titanfall 2 is absolutely on my backlog, primarily for SP but I'm also very interested in trying MP. I just wonder how much of a community there is on PS4. After I finish Watch Dogs 2 it's probably next. Doom was so excellent, it's fuelled my hunger for quality FPS campaigns.

@suplextrain I absolutely accept the light on content part but even if Battlefront or Titanfall had more MP content people would still complain about SP. It's always the way.

Of course they would. Few people want a MP only shooter at full price. Many people also want SP to help them care about the MP. To get invested in the world and care about the struggle. Especially if it's a new IP.
    If people can go and play several MP only shooters that are free to play or at reduced price, they will wonder why they're paying full-price for this other game.

But if criticism is because of "variation" as you say, then why the double standard? Wolfenstein had no MP, only SP yet there was no criticism. The same standard definitely is not applied to MP only games.

If you can't see the difference between SP and MP then I can't help you. There is no double standard here. SP and MP are drastically different. It's also not just about "variation".

I don't give a toss about MP games generally, but having played Battlefront for 30 or so hours and having also played Wolfenstein: New Order, I can say that I think Battlefront was a better game with more varied stuff to do. As well as being SP only, Wolfenstein had no replay value.

That's your opinion and I think many would disagree with you. Me included. Battlefront also had problems compared to prior Battlefront games. Also 30h for a MP game is honestly very low, so most would regard that as a more casual player. A MP only game at full-price only holding your interest for 30h is honestly weak if you're trying to use that as an argument.
    Also beyond just SP and MP being vastly different and the quality of the games themselves (Wolfenstein being much higher and actually delivering what people wanted, fans or not), it didn't "lack" MP because the series was always SP focused. If the new God of War didn't have MP people wouldn't complain. If the new Last of Us didn't have SP and MP only, people would naturally complain. Is this double standards in your mind? Then frankly you don't comprehend the situation and vast difference between SP and MP, let alone simple expectations from fans and players.

• It doesn't matter whether a multiplayer focused game has SP portion to it, because someone will complain how "it compromised the MP experience" while if it's not there, people will complain how it should include one to allow people like me to invest in to the world, get used to gameplay before hopping into MP etc. You can't please everyone no matter which approach you take. Overall better option is to include some form of SP thing, so those people who aren't HARDCORE360NOSCOPE fanatics can get used to gameplay before going online.

As for SP focused shooters, I usually prefer those, as those focus more on either telling a interesting story (Spec Ops: The Line, Metro-series) or focus more on fun gameplay (DOOM, Wolfenstein), but many shooter fans dislike these as "they're not good online" or "I can't play online, no buy". There are audiences for many kinds of shooters, once you recognize what is the kind of game you prefer, keep playing those, and let other shooter fans have their games instead of complaining how it should be more like the thing you like.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!