Help me pick my next "retro" RPG!

• I haven't played Banner Saga or Path of Radiance, but I'd say that FFT is amongst the more difficult SRPGs that I've played, mainly for the difficulty spikes that come out of nowhere. Not impossible, but definately not easy. Hence why I recommend reading up a bit on Gamefaqs for some advice before you start.

I haven't played the 3DS version of DQ8, but most of the additions don't make the game better and it's a pity that stuff like less voiceacting is a thing. Personally I'd say the PS2 version is still the best version, but if you have no other way of playing DQ8 then playing it on 3DS is fine. It's not like Xenoblade that got gimped pretty hard with the 3DS port.

Tactics Ogre isn't that difficult. Some stuff like getting some bonus characters or some of the bonus dungeons can be tricky, but the main game is pretty straightforward. It's easier and overall better designed gameplay wise than FFT if you ask me, but some might disagree.

Also I remembered that Breath of FIre 3 is also avaliable on the PS Store.

• @suplextrain Good looks. Yeah, I think the PS2 version of DQ8 is pretty unanimously the preferred version, but I don't have a TV right now and won't have one for a little while still (moving every couple of months makes investing in one tough). That's why I need everything playable on my portable systems. Regarding Breath of Fire, great/shit, that's another legendary franchise I need to play. Adding it to the list.

• @naltmank Tactics is harder then banner saga but nowhere near the difficulty levels of fire emblem

• @naltmank Again, I really don't find Tactics all that difficult unless you are only running from story battle to story battle, then yes, you're going to have some trouble. Just like Dragon Quest 8 (the other game in contention), you're going to have to grind every now and then - which isn't much of an issue as you can engage in random battles all over the map. Just a few random tips off the top of my head - Time Mage with Haste makes life much easier, make sure everyone in your party learns JP Up early on (learned from the Squire class), and there's a real easy way to buff up your party fairly quickly: Enter a random battle, wreck the enemy until there's just one monster left, hurt but don't kill it until it hides from you, beat the crap out of your own party using rocks and weak weapons, heal, repeat until you've gained the levels/job experience you're looking for. I generally pursue the main story until fights start getting real rough (ie. half the party is dead or at low health) and then I'll grind a bit to get a new job or learn a skill that makes battles flow more in my favor. Besides a fight towards the end of chapter 3 where you can't use a full party, most of the combat feels fair. The difficulty spikes mentioned in the thread are generally from the game introducing a new class that you may not have fought against before, like the Dorter fight in the first chapter introducing wizards and archers all at once.

So basically, if you don't prepare and just try to rush through the game, yep, it'll be difficult.. but that could be said of most games really. If you're leaning towards it already, I'd say just take the dive - even if you run into trouble, there's enough resources online to help you out. Hell, I believe a few of us in this community could definitely help out too but I'm gonna say you got this.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Help me pick my next "retro" RPG!:

Dragon Quest 8 (the other game in contention), you're going to have to grind every now and then - which isn't much of an issue as you can engage in random battles all over the map.

The only real section in DQ8 that I'd say requires some grind is around the midpoint of the game. It especially helps to level up Angelo until he gets a heal all spell since it really helps with the boss fight.
    Getting a decent monster squad also helps out a lot in DQ8.

• I haven't played Tactics, but if it is between that and DQ8, FF Tactics would be an easy choice for me. I think DQ8 is pretty good, but not the amazing JRPG people make it out to be, worth playing but if I had to choose based on the impressions I have it seems like Tactics is a much better option.

Also I don't care what Huber says, DQ8 towns are mediocre at best.

• @suplextrain Haven't played that particular entry myself, I just have heard the series is notorious for being overly grindy - when compared to stuff like the mainline Final Fantasies at least.

• from the ones listen here i would go with FFX, but the PS4 remastered, which i recently bought and finished, if you deep into the story you would like it very much, the combat system is something refreshing from the previuos entries and the soundtrack... oh the soundtrack...

now the case that you need to play it on Vita or 3DS i would go with Dragon Quest 8, the refine enemies battles and the Toriyama art style are so good.

• @bard91 said in Help me pick my next "retro" RPG!:

Also I don't care what Huber says, DQ8 towns are mediocre at best.

I'd call them "standard" JRPG towns with some added charm. I mean the entire deal with DQ is that they're generally pretty standard JRPGs just done well.

@SabotageTheTruth said in Help me pick my next "retro" RPG!:

@suplextrain Haven't played that particular entry myself, I just have heard the series is notorious for being overly grindy - when compared to stuff like the mainline Final Fantasies at least.

Yes, the pacing especially can be a bit jarring in some DQ games for some.7 is notoriously slow for example.
    The way I undersand it is that this is intentional though. The devs wants to make the players feel like they "earn it" through work and that upgrades like weapons and armor should feel special.
    Naturally this isn't for everyone and even I feel that they could've toned it down a notch here and there.

• Is Legend of Dragoon downloadable on either?

• @Disabledgamerjh It's on the PS Store for $5, so yep, available on PS3/Vita.

• Considering all the talk about classic titles on the PS Store.
    I can write some of my recommendations below each (only for RPGish titles).

List of PS one Classics (North America)
    [EU] = Also on EU store

MediEvil [EU]
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night [EU]
    Wild Arms [EU]
    Suikoden [EU]
    Suikoden II [EU]
    Final Fantasy VI [EU]
    Final Fantasy VII [EU]
    Final Fantasy VIII [EU]
    Final Fantasy IX [EU]
    Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP/Vita version "War of the Lions" is the superior version, get that instead if you can)
    Grandia [EU]
    Alundra [EU]
    Front Mission 3 [EU]
    Strider 2 (Not an RPG, but holy shit man, this is THE Strider game to play)
    Mega Man Legends
    Mega Man Legends 2
    Xenogears
    Vagrant Story [EU]
    Legend of Mana
    Breath of Fire IV
    Chrono Trigger
    Chrono Cross
    The Legend of Dragoon
    Tomba! [EU]
    Tomba! 2: The Evil Swine Return [EU]
    Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

List of PS one Classics (PAL region)

List of PlayStation 2 Classics for PlayStation 3
    Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
    Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
    GrimGrimoire
    Ring of Red
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
    Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
    Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
    Soul Nomad & the World Eaters
    Suikoden III
    Suikoden IV
    The Red Star (Not an RPG, but deserves a mention. Solid action game)

List of PlayStation 2 games for PlayStation 4
    Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
    Dark Cloud
    Dark Chronicle
    Okage: Shadow King
    Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
    Rogue Galaxy
    Wild Arms 3

• Ehhh, I never had a PS3 so I had no idea there were so many PS One Classics! Why are those not available for PS4? So many in there I would want to play!

• Aight, taking the dive and trying out Tactics! Will probably go DQ8 next. Thanks for the help everyone!

• @naltmank You've made the right choice, hope you enjoy it!

alt text

• @Axel

My roommate and I want to go on a retro binge but our PS3 controllers are kinda messed up and we only have so much space so we'd prefer to just keep the PS4 hooked up and it bothers us so much that Sony hasn't put the PS1 Classics on the PS4 Store yet.

Just pull the trigger Sony! Nobody is trying to play PS Now.

• @GoTaco
    Don't forget that its on Nintendo DS/3DS and the Wii Virtual console.

• This game is pretty hard, guys. Do AI characters always just run headfirst into enemies? Also, I want to grind a little to get the JP boost ability for everyone, but even random battles wipe me.

• @naltmank just go back to the areas where you have easy battles, until you defete enemies in one blow, the first hours should be easy for that same reason, don't pressure your self

• @holy_angel_mx even those places wipe me sometimes, though...
    I took @SabotageTheTruth's advice and managed to get myself into a position where I could have my party beat each other up, and that helped a bit. I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it, but it's still pretty tough.