Help me pick my next "retro" RPG!

• @suplextrain Haven't played that particular entry myself, I just have heard the series is notorious for being overly grindy - when compared to stuff like the mainline Final Fantasies at least.

• from the ones listen here i would go with FFX, but the PS4 remastered, which i recently bought and finished, if you deep into the story you would like it very much, the combat system is something refreshing from the previuos entries and the soundtrack... oh the soundtrack...

now the case that you need to play it on Vita or 3DS i would go with Dragon Quest 8, the refine enemies battles and the Toriyama art style are so good.

• @bard91 said in Help me pick my next "retro" RPG!:

Also I don't care what Huber says, DQ8 towns are mediocre at best.

I'd call them "standard" JRPG towns with some added charm. I mean the entire deal with DQ is that they're generally pretty standard JRPGs just done well.

@SabotageTheTruth said in Help me pick my next "retro" RPG!:

@suplextrain Haven't played that particular entry myself, I just have heard the series is notorious for being overly grindy - when compared to stuff like the mainline Final Fantasies at least.

Yes, the pacing especially can be a bit jarring in some DQ games for some.7 is notoriously slow for example.
    The way I undersand it is that this is intentional though. The devs wants to make the players feel like they "earn it" through work and that upgrades like weapons and armor should feel special.
    Naturally this isn't for everyone and even I feel that they could've toned it down a notch here and there.

• Is Legend of Dragoon downloadable on either?

• @Disabledgamerjh It's on the PS Store for $5, so yep, available on PS3/Vita.

• Considering all the talk about classic titles on the PS Store.
    I can write some of my recommendations below each (only for RPGish titles).

List of PS one Classics (North America)
    [EU] = Also on EU store

MediEvil [EU]
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night [EU]
    Wild Arms [EU]
    Suikoden [EU]
    Suikoden II [EU]
    Final Fantasy VI [EU]
    Final Fantasy VII [EU]
    Final Fantasy VIII [EU]
    Final Fantasy IX [EU]
    Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP/Vita version "War of the Lions" is the superior version, get that instead if you can)
    Grandia [EU]
    Alundra [EU]
    Front Mission 3 [EU]
    Strider 2 (Not an RPG, but holy shit man, this is THE Strider game to play)
    Mega Man Legends
    Mega Man Legends 2
    Xenogears
    Vagrant Story [EU]
    Legend of Mana
    Breath of Fire IV
    Chrono Trigger
    Chrono Cross
    The Legend of Dragoon
    Tomba! [EU]
    Tomba! 2: The Evil Swine Return [EU]
    Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

List of PS one Classics (PAL region)

List of PlayStation 2 Classics for PlayStation 3
    Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
    Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
    GrimGrimoire
    Ring of Red
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
    Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
    Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
    Soul Nomad & the World Eaters
    Suikoden III
    Suikoden IV
    The Red Star (Not an RPG, but deserves a mention. Solid action game)

List of PlayStation 2 games for PlayStation 4
    Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
    Dark Cloud
    Dark Chronicle
    Okage: Shadow King
    Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
    Rogue Galaxy
    Wild Arms 3

• Ehhh, I never had a PS3 so I had no idea there were so many PS One Classics! Why are those not available for PS4? So many in there I would want to play!

• Aight, taking the dive and trying out Tactics! Will probably go DQ8 next. Thanks for the help everyone!

• @naltmank You've made the right choice, hope you enjoy it!

alt text

• @Axel

My roommate and I want to go on a retro binge but our PS3 controllers are kinda messed up and we only have so much space so we'd prefer to just keep the PS4 hooked up and it bothers us so much that Sony hasn't put the PS1 Classics on the PS4 Store yet.

Just pull the trigger Sony! Nobody is trying to play PS Now.

• @GoTaco
    Don't forget that its on Nintendo DS/3DS and the Wii Virtual console.

• This game is pretty hard, guys. Do AI characters always just run headfirst into enemies? Also, I want to grind a little to get the JP boost ability for everyone, but even random battles wipe me.

• @naltmank just go back to the areas where you have easy battles, until you defete enemies in one blow, the first hours should be easy for that same reason, don't pressure your self

• @holy_angel_mx even those places wipe me sometimes, though...
    I took @SabotageTheTruth's advice and managed to get myself into a position where I could have my party beat each other up, and that helped a bit. I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it, but it's still pretty tough.

• @naltmank Hmm, if random battles are wiping you, just a few generic tips - don't rush the enemy in random encounters, let them come to you. Stick as a group, always target the same enemy until it's down. I generally start the game running two chemists (who then turn into black mage/white mage once they've learned essential item skills like hi-potions and phoenix downs). Gold is hard to come by in the early stages but spend it anyway, make sure you've got the best gear out there. The direction you face is vital for avoiding hits, try to make sure your back is against a wall, or even the corpse as an enemy works well as a buffer. You can even use your own party members to group around weaker members - although I do not recommend bunching up later in the game as AOE attacks will murder everyone.

I know a lot of that is RPG 101 but stick to the basics for now, as you probably don't have anything too fancy (like spells with charge times, or the archer's aim ability). The first chapter shouldn't take a lot of grinding, besides maybe a battle or two to get ready for Dorter. To answer your question, yes, AI controlled allies are usually very, very dumb.

• Got the hang of things on the train to the airport the other day and managed to grind everyone up so they got focus, JP boost, move +1, and auto-potion. Once I got autopotion the game became so much more manageable. Started playing around with the jobs a bit, grinded a little more, and finally tried the slums again. Wrecked it. Just started chapter 2. I'm pretty addicted right now. We'll see if it can keep this up. Main impression: this game is dark.

• @naltmank Glad to hear you're starting to enjoy it! I was getting worried there for a second. Yeah, tone wise it is one of the darker FFs out there. Besides some of the optional side quests, there isn't really a lot in the way of comedic relief.

• @naltmank the game is pretty much final fantasy meets game of thrones

• @FF7Cloud I was thinking the exact same thing

• Question: is there a way to naturally discover in-game how to unlock new jobs other than trial and error? I just unlocked geomancer by accident, and Samurai and ninja gear (historically two of my favorite FF jobs) are both available at the stores now. Trying to avoid looking at a guide, but the pull is real strong right now.