The Evil Within 2 (PC/PS4/XB1)

• Global Moderator

Youtube Video

Buzz seems to be pretty big for The Evil Within 2 and we got a new gameplay trailer today.

Youtube Video

Personally, I'm looking forward to it. I held off with 1 for a bit and played it along with the dlc at the time which I feel was essential to really liking the game as the main story by itself is nonsense really. You need that dlc to get a better understanding of it.

For 2, I'm just happy that it's no longer on the previous generation and hope it doesn't go over the top like it did towards the end of the first game. The premise right now, seems a bit forced and not overly interesting but lets hope it can have a personal impact.

• Insanely excited for this game. I finished TEW about 2ish years ago and have craved a similar gameplay experience since.

However, not in love with the trailers for this game at all.

• Global Moderator

I agree. There is something about the trailer. It gives off this distinctly clean look which I imagine is due to no 360/PS3 but it does seem a little too clean.

I didn't really notice it as much in the E3 gameplay we saw.

• For me it is a few things. One of which is just personal but I find CG can feel very uncanny and I know this is a horror game, but they weren't intending on the people to feel uncanny. This isn't Coraline, it is The Evil Within. The E3 trailer didn't really hit me like it did everybody else.

• Global Moderator

@GoTaco I was specifically talking about the gameplay as opposed to the CGI trailer.

The gameplay trailer just looked a bit.. I guess murky or dirty is the word I'm looking for. I just didn't notice how clean it was until now.

• @tokeeffe9

Yeah I personally think it'll pan out for the better. TEW felt really rough sometimes and it looked a bit rough at times too and it was a solid aesthetic but I think the new gloss will not replace atmosphere and is likely also indicative of a smoother gameplay experience too.

Again, it's hard to convey everything in trailers. The pro is that we have a lot of questions. Con is that we have A LOT of questions...

• Global Moderator

We have some more interesting details from Neogaf, courtesy of a Famitsu interview. You can find more there but I'll paraphrase some of the more interesting stuff to me

• Unlike the first game where you were generally forced to play a certain way, TEW2 has been designed to give the player a lot more freedom. There will still be scenarios where it'll be difficult to stick to a certain playstyle but at minimum it should still be possible.
    • (Probably just sequel talk) They sound particularly proud about the narrative. It wasn't a huge focus for the first game but they think this one will surprise a few people (in terms of quality)
    • For horror, this time around they focused on 'fear' rather than grotesqueness.
    • It's still split into chapters but there are fewer and it sounds like it will have much more open areas with main and side quests. (My opinion - think Tomb Raider hub worlds but smaller)

That's the most of it really. A lot of it could just be talking up the sequel but it does sound like some interesting improvements. I think the first game did have a lot of issues with story and pacing so all the things they're saying at least seem to address these issues.

And for me personally, hearing that the game is more focused on fear over gore is a major plus. It's just far more chilling and interesting.

• Global Moderator

Youtube Video

I'd almost call this plagiarism. This character basically appears to be Sander Cohen.

• Bioshock isn't original enough for it to be 'plagiarism,' and even then it would just be inspiration. They're horror games, they exist within a subset of tropes. Evil artist is one of those, evil clown is another one. And yet Suicide Squad and IT can both exist, calm down.

• @tokeeffe9 said in The Evil Within 2 (PC/PS4/XB1, 13th October):

I'd almost call this plagiarism. This character basically appears to be Sander Cohen.

Huh? Bioshock did not invent this trope. Even if we limit it to using dismembered/mutilated human bodies.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MadArtist

• Global Moderator

@Haru17 I'm very calm. I'm just saying how I see it.

@suplextrain I never said they invented the trope. I just got an extremely familiar vibe to Cohen from the trailer.

• Well if it's a trope period then it's probably not plagurism, just unoriginality. Bioshock is nowhere in that equasion.

• Global Moderator

Youtube Video

Kinda been out of the loop with TEW2 just because I won't be able to get it till later in the year/early next year realistically.

• been watching some footage. game looks really good.

really looking forward to play it. hopefully this time its not horribly optimize like original game.

• @Black-Cell As somebody who has been vocal about their disdain for RE4, why does this game interest you?

• @El-Shmiablo said in The Evil Within 2 (PC/PS4/XB1, 13th October):

@Black-Cell As somebody who has been vocal about their disdain for RE4, why does this game interest you?

it looks better than resident evil 4 ever been.

what interest me is creepy atmosphere, combat looks really good for survival horror. i didnot liked first game but while watching it. it feel like very much improved.

now let see how it will turn out.

• Global Moderator

• This post is deleted!

• I trust Huber when it comes to horror games. I never want to play horror games, but I trust him all the same.