That's News!

• Just a retail based rumor right now, but sounds like Animal Crossing Switch might be releasing as early as April 29th.

• @mbun
    I call bullshit on that, theres no way in hell Animal Crossing is coming in 3 months

• @dmcmaster Could easily be a retail error. Just figured I'd lob it out there as a possibility.

• i don't think the new game Nintendo is teasing is Animal crossing. we already know about Animal Crossing. it sounds more like Nintendo has something up their sleeve to surprise consumers with in a Nintendo Direct the same way they suprised everyone by announcing Smash Ultimate in a Direct last year.

Youtube Video

• Most likely whatever Retro was working on for the last 2-3ish years.

• PSN is doing better than great.

• Sony has a patent for PS5 that seems to make it possible for the console to be backward compatible with PS4, PS3, PS2 and PSX/PS1.
    https://www.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/web/PU/JPA_H31503013/23C0ECC1DA1FEA585B38A470480304CE

"Translation of the source article.

Sony Japan has just registered a new patent that allows the retrocompatibility of the hardware with previous consoles. It is a system to be applied in a future machine, PS5, and that allows the CPU of the new console to be able to "interpret" the central unit of the previous machines. The author of the development was Mark Cerny, the architect who designed the PS4 structure, and the patent, which has been filed under number 2019-503013, briefly explains what it consists of.

The aim is to make the applications designed for the previous consoles (legacy device) run perfectly on the most powerful hardware, and is focused on eliminating the synchronization errors between the new consoles and the behavior of the previous ones (PS4, PS3, PS2 and PSX). For example, if the CPU of the new console is faster than the previous one, data could be overwritten prematurely, even if they were still being used by another component.

Thanks to the new system, PS5 would be able to imitate the behavior of the previous consoles, so that the information that arrives at the different processors is returned in response to the "calls" of the games. The processor is able to detect the needs of each application and behave as if it were the original "brain" of each machine, cheating the software. This technology does not prevent PS5 could also have additional processors to have compatibility with machines whose architecture is difficult to replicate, as in the case of PS2.

In this blog (http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/54822370.html) you can see the most detailed information of the patent, with the diagrams in Japanese. Yesterday we explained the SRGAN process that allows you to perform "remastering by emulation" (another of the elements that Sony has patented, and converts images in SD resolution in 4K using artificial intelligence."

• Banned

@sentinel-beach PS4 in general.
    0_1549044632885_1549007023749m.jpg

• @sentinel-beach that's some crazy next level shit. I knew I was hanging onto these ps2 games for a reason!

• Jesus Murphy that PS5 rumor is too good to be true. PS5 would be the most "complete" console with an unmatched legacy in its back library. I'd pay a decent fee if they brought back PS2 online and we can play old games again like SOCOM II.

At the least, it makes going to game stores and buying old games less of a headache. My PS2 is on life support and my PS1 has been RIP for years.

• @dipset
    The question is if it's true can we use our physical copies or not, or does this mean that we can expect legacy titles released via the Playstation store.
    But best of best case scenarios it allows us to use our old disc and carries over all of our PSN purchases, along with various benefits from the new hardware (upscaling, and access to streaming via system, possibly putting select PS2/PS3 games back online) PS5 is definitely something that would be worth the $400-$500 price tag at release.

• I have been hoping that Sony was going to learn from their past mistakes with the PS3, where they were riding high with the PS2 and fumbled the PS3.
    If that rumour is true that would indicate that they are concerned going into the next gen about keeping people invested in the Playstation brand, not just assuming they'll buy it because so many people bought the PS4.
    That being said, I won't hold my breath, but it would be nice to pull my PS2 and PS3 games out of storage.

• @inustar
    To be fair I can see the reasoning for cutting PS2 support from PS3 at the time, just trying to cut anything deemed none essential to cut price down in order to turn a profit, seeing as it took 4 years, a price drop and hardware revision before they started making a profit on PS3, but yeah it's the same thing Nintendo walked into with Wii to WiiU, granted WiiU didn't have a $500-$600 price tag.

I will say I'm curious to find out what kind of upscaling or performance upgrades we might possibly see to PS1-3, and might we see PSP and Vita games.

• There's NO Titanfall 3 in development at Respawn. www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-04-respawn-explains-apex-legends-surprise-release-and-why-there-are-no-titans
    What the heck......I didn't mind Apex Legends (Respawn's Battle Royale game) existing, but I was hoping it was a stopgap until Titanfall 3 came out. What a gosh-danging shame.

• @jifw52
    calling it now, if Apex and Jedi flop Respawn is dead

• @dmcmaster just like what'll happen to BioWare if Anthem fails. Sigh, i love a lot of the games that EA releases, but holy cow their business model is so horrible. It prevents better games from being released on the market.

• @jifw52
    Honestly I really do believe were going to see another game crash soon, but nothing as major as 83.
    If anything it will probably only be EA and Activision that end up suffering the majority of it, they'll survive but changed, hopefully for the better.
    Meanwhile well probably see a bunch of ex EA and Activision devs start thier own studios and either self publish or join up with "A" and "AA" publisher's (think Devolver Digital and THQ Nordic)

• Not all good news from Square it seems

https://twinfinite.net/2019/02/square-enix-financial-results/

honestly not surprised to hear the are still struggling with development costs.

• That article says something kinda confusing. They want to focus on their own IPs but also want to create "new hit titles".

Sounds like they just need to reel in development time.