That's News!

• That article says something kinda confusing. They want to focus on their own IPs but also want to create "new hit titles".

Sounds like they just need to reel in development time.

• Was Shadow of the Tomb Raider the only big AAA game Square released last quarter. They're releasing 2 big games this quarter. They probably wanted to make this quarter look good compared to previous quarter.

• @iboshow
    What other big game is Square releasing Q4?
    All I can think of off the top of my head is KH3

• Banned

@dmcmaster Left Alive seems to be getting some attention lately.
    DQ Switch port count?

• @el-shmiablo
    Doesn't that come out Q1 2019?
    Dragon Quest I mean

So just watched some Left Alive gameplay for the first time since it was announced. I'm impressed, looks a little rough around the edges, but I see some potential in this Front Mission spin off, might even scratch that MGS itch that's been needing a good scratching (maybe Blue Points rumored MGS Remake scratch it too)

• This could be interesting, been saying for awhile I'd like to see the next FF lean more towards 4 or 6 in style
    https://www.siliconera.com/2019/02/05/naoki-yoshida-wants-next-final-fantasy-to-be-more-fantasy-have-less-machines-and-no-mecha/

• Banned

@dmcmaster I mean, machines and mecha are a part of what makes FF feel unique, I find. Magitec armor, airships, mako reactors... even earlier FFs had a bit of mechanical flare.
    I think excluding that stuff wholesale from an FF is missing the point.

• @el-shmiablo
    Agree, always seen FF as more of a steampunk thing.
    Although I'll laugh my ass off if DQ goes more contemporary or Sci-Fi next

• @dmcmaster they should do a RE-imagining of FF9 and keep the turn based combat, and they should let go all of their production managers and hire new ones.

• EA turns in bummer fiscal report: “We’re disappointed in our underperformance”

Some quotes:
    "BFV's sales to date, according to EA COO and CFO Blake Jorgensen, have reached 7.3 million copies across all platforms worldwide, which the company says is "one million less" than it had indicated in previous Q3 2019 guidance. Jorgensen didn't mince words: he blamed the drop in the series' uptake by the developers' focus on a single-player campaign, as opposed to having a promised battle royale mode ready for fans in time for the game's launch."

" EA confirmed that a range of console-specific games is expected to launch by year's end, including a new Plants vs. Zombies "shooter," a new game in the Need for Speed series, and the Respawn-developed Star Wars game Jedi: Fallen Order. An additional Titanfall-related game is also slated to launch by year's end, but Wilson would not offer any further details about what shape that game might take (meaning: a remake of an existing Titanfall game isn't yet out of the question)."

• I have no faith in NFS right now, Payback had some wonky ass driving physics, and trying to upgrade cars was a pain (although I've heard it was made easier after a patch)

Also considering Wilson is adamant on using IPs EA owns and cutting cost you'd think they use Burnout instead of NFS, no licensing cost for knock off vehicles after all.

• So Jim Sterling just got this
    0_1549500418202_DyupbYWX0AEuyGJ.png

• This is BIG NEWS in my opinion. Surprised they're discussing this so soon.

• GDC panel about future of Xbox Live
    • MS expanding XBL into more platforms incl SWITCH
    • "Xbox Live is about to get MUCH bigger. Xbox Live is expanding from 400M gaming devices and a reach to over 68M active players to over 2B devices with the release of our new cross-platform XDK," the description for the GDC panel read. "Get a first look at the SDK to enable game developers to connect players between iOS, Android, and Switch in addition to Xbox and any game in the Microsoft Store on Windows PCs."

https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-xbox-live-nintendo-switch-iphone-android-ios-2019-2

• Interesting, so does this mean some MS is going third party or something?

• Banned

@dmcmaster Doubtful.
    Just trying to bolster any numbers they can so they don't look like the massive failure of the generation that they are.

They realize that nobody wants their hardware (or games, really) so they want to invade the hardware and games that people DO want so they can make it look like they aren't a giant trash fire.

Also

0_1549578306008_1549571762131.jpg

• @el-shmiablo They're not the massive failure of the generation, they've sold more than 30 million consoles and some believe they sold 40 million. The massive failure of the generation is the Wii U and Vita.

• @iboshow The massive failures of the generation are Soulja Boy's console and the Playstation Classic.

• Banned

@iboshow Vita is from the same generation as the PS3.

Also, I think that selling less than half of your main competitor (Sony) has sold, and your other competitor (Nintendo) selling half of what you've sold in 6 years in under 2 might lean a little bit on the failure side of the spectrum.

Then we get to the games. They've cancelled almost as many games as they've released, closed almost as many studios as they've opened/bought, and judging by critical reception, have only one game exclusive to the platform that is worth playing.

I mean, Crackdown 3 took an entire generation to be made and looks like trash.

I'm not saying Sony and Nintendo are pereect, but by comparison it's like Microsoft has been drunk this whole generation.

• @el-shmiablo Vita/3DS/PS4/WiiU/XBone are the same generation, Switch is the 9th Generation but for some reason people count it as the 8th Generation. Coming third is not a failure.

@Mbun I'm sure PlayStation Classic did better than what Nintendo expected the Wii U to do.

• Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Editions & Siege of Dragonspear to Switch, PS4 and Xbox One in 2019!

Sorry, backlog!