That's News!

• They could sell Sony Pictures but I bet they would tranfer Spider-Man rights under Playstation Studio they recently established run by Asad Quizilbash.

• Speaking of buyouts...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hasbro-to-buy-entertainment-one-1.5256786

(For US and Intl): https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/hasbro-acquires-entertainment-one-in-4-billion-all-cash-deal-1203311068/

Hasbro is going to buy eOne for $4 BILLION which basically puts this on par with Disney buying Marvel. For those who don't know eOne is a huge Canadian media company (I technically work under one of their smaller companies that they own stake in).

The purpose.. PEPPA THE PIG and PJ MASK. They are essentially spending $4 billion to get two IPs. I expect the Canadian government to step in and monitor this because Hasbro would be killing a ton of jobs and effecting the entire industry if they only care about Peppa the Pig. For example, most of your favourite shows are made in Canada, esp film and animation.

• If Disney buy Sony Pictures, they don't get the rights to Spiderman.

• The Persona franchise has reached 10 milion sales, and while it makes me happy it is kinda crazy to think that one of the most succesful JRPG franchises has only managed this much over 20 years, goes to show just how much of niche the genre is.

https://personacentral.com/persona-series-reaches-10-million-copies-sold/

• @bard91

Yeah thats kinda disappointing for what is obviously a proud accomplishment. Still blown away that Kirby and Yoshi can sell 10 mil easy and these new games won't ever be fondly remembered like that.

• @dipset said in That's News!:

Still blown away that Kirby and Yoshi can sell 10 mil easy and these new games won't ever be fondly remembered like that.

they're just jealous that me and Kirby are more badass than they'll ever be :3
    0_1566613591491_cool yoshi.jpg
    0_1566613614660_cool kirby 2.png

• @dipset said:

Still blown away that Kirby and Yoshi can sell 10 mil easy

Weird slight aside, Yoshi took ages to total up 10 mil, and Kirby basically only got it quicker through consistent volume of releases. Neither of those franchises are really sales juggernauts either. If you really want to be disgusted, look up how much money Pokemon GO made versus all the mainline Pokemon games in Pokemon's history that are heralded as mega sellers.

@bard91 I wonder how it compares to Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy though. I mean, Persona has been around a long time, but it wasn't popular at all until 4 really, so that shouldn't be terribly surprising. I don't think it speaks to JRPGs being niche as much as it speaks to Persona being niche until relatively recently.

• @mbun I think that aside from FF, DQ and KH we would find very few million selling JRPGs, so while it's true that is an element for Persona total sales, I do still think is in great part a reflexion of the reach of the genre.

I did a quick search and found this, may have incomplete information but it does seem like aside from very few exceptions the reach is pretty limited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Japanese_role-playing_game_franchises

• @bard91 said:

I think that aside from FF, DQ and KH we would find very few million selling JRPGs,

Last post I'll make because we're off on a tangent in news, but I think you could apply this same basic formula to just about any genre of gaming. Except for the heavy hitter renowned franchises that make crazy money, very few others break into 10 mil+ territory across the board, not just among JRPGs.

• @bard91 just for comparison FF7 sold 9.7 mill just on the ps1

• I'm browsing the PS Store right now, and there's a listing for Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection that just popped up, with a trailer and all. Coming 22 January 2020. Includes Mega Man Zero 1-4, Mega Man ZX and ZX Advent. Haven't seen any official announcement yet as of this moment.

• @bam541
    Get a screen cap of it?

• Welp get to spreading that shit, granted Capcom is probably gonna announce it soon

• omg Pleeease come to Switch, I have been waiting for this forever.

• Here's the trailer for the collection. This looks dope, can't wait for it.

Youtube Video

• @inflorescence
    It's Capcom, so it's probably coming to everything, although hopefully a Battle Network and Legends collection are in the cards (and I guess Star Force would be part of Battle Network)

• i'll just leave these here...

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• @yoshi Looks like they took almost none of the beta tester's feedback. The only things they might've changed, which I can't confirm until release is taking out the ticket to spin item slots at any point of a race once during a race, balancing the Boomerang so it isn't just the best special item by far, and obviously can't tell from footage whether or not they toned down the autosteering, so taking shortcuts wouldn't require you to mushroom to leave the main track area anymore, but I hope they fixed that at least.

Still looks single player only with CPUs named after real players. Still looks extremely greedily pay to win. I kind of have a feeling this is going to come out, and it'll be the exact same as the beta, just with new tracks and alternates of characters with different special items. And that's a pretty huge disappointment, because the game ran well during the beta, used very little battery, and I kind of enjoyed what it was going for, except I knew it'd become absolutely miserable if they didn't tone down how pay to win the beta was.

Anyways, while we're dropping mobile stuff, here's a new Pokemon Masters' video about news around launch. Pretty longwinded, and there's nothing super interesting in it. Just basically says the first "Parable" will be centered around Blue.

• @mbun i'm pretty sure it will have some form of multiplayer.

i mean it's fucking mario kart. mario kart without multiplayer is like having cereal without milk, it's just wrong!