That's News!

• Banned

@themarcv said in That's News!:

@acidtrip-69 I know I've never really got the negativity around the whole Woke thing, always seems like being 'Woke' was really just being open minded and more empathetic. Like I'm totally down for a larger variety in characters in media showing more woman and minorities. As long as the actor can really embody that character I don't really care what gender/race they are. Vice verse if they cast someone that doesn't embody the character it's just bad casting or writing or any number of other things that could cause something to be bad. I know there's a lot of push back on this stuff but it just doesn't bother me.

You may not see as anything bad, but that's just the surface. I can see some problems with it. Heck I might even say it's a bit racist. I'll tell you why.

• to me it seems are you doing is looking at someone's race or their sexual orientation.

• you are not just evaluating someone on skills. You are judging someone on something they can't control.

To me it gives off the vibe of " Oh I feel so bad that I'm so much better than you, so let me HELP you out." I may be the only here that thinks and feels that way, but I do know I'm not alone out in world that thinks that way.

• ITT I learned that having basic human empathy is a bad thing.

• @acidtrip-69 I can only agree with your stance if the situation was we (stuido/dev) made this character female or black (for example) solely because they wanted to appeal to this movement of more representation. In this specific case I would be displeased with this reasoning and I would imagine this would hurt the overall quality of the project. However if studios and devs want to have more diverse stories by basing their characters on marginalized people in this medium I'm all for it and don't see any issue with that. There's no, I see my self as superior as a white male so instead of basing a character off of that I'm base it off of a black female, I just don't see that in a lot of these cases.

• This isn't gaming specific but this should create a paradigm shift in modern media:

• @dipset Nice. Now if they could just go one step further and eliminate all advertising on Twitter outside the pages of the companies I choose to follow. Make them all fish for my attention like Arby's.

• @dipset I assume this is some higher up at Twitter right? Excuse my ignorance but I don't use the platform but this all sounds like good stuff. Hopefully the other social media sites follow their lead.

• Banned

@themarcv Look I don't mind if someone wants to help out some people, but you have to remember you can only go so far before it just looks like your pandering and making it looking the people are charity cases and basically telling them they weren't smart enough to figure it out for themself. I have a question. Why does one group get praised if they make a game or movie about historical white people but Change them to other, but if they did the reverse they get called bad things and say White Washing. To me they are Both Bad. This also reminds me like when upper management at NBA is saying speak your mind about some cause or crap, but oh don't say anything bad about China Government.
    Oh ok Jack did that for twitter get ready to see the stock go down some points, and might get reversed later down the line. Let's see how long this last.

• @themarcv
    That's the creator Twitter.
    This will be interesting to see with the next presidential election on the horizon.

And yeah don't use Twitter myself, although I think I had an account at one point

• @acidtrip-69 Regarding your question in very general terms the majority of leading roles in film/tv are for white males. When a project is about a different racial group but they cast a lead white male it gets more flack because white males are already dominating leading roles, this project could have allowed an actor from a marginalized group to be portrayed but wasn't. The inverse is that if a role would normally be given to a white male but they instead use a female or a male of a different race it's often praised because its giving that actor an opportunity they wouldn't normally get to play. In both cases, for me personally, it comes down to their performance. If they switch it up and you get a worse performance it was not worth it. I generally feel if a character was written as a white male, or a black female its best to cast within those guidelines if only to make the character ring more true. I'm okay with them flipping this on its head but they better be damn sure this actor can really embody the character they are playing.

Ill stop here as this conversation is kinda losing the point of "That's News!" but I appreciate the conversation about this.

• @dmcmaster Gotcha, yeah I hope this makes Facebook take a hard look at how its platform is being weaponized politically.

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• Global Moderator

Mod Note - Acidtrip-69 has been permanently banned for several infringments over the last few weeks.

I've removed some of the last few posts (apologies) due to the thread being pretty much totally derailed but left the majority from the last day since there were some very well written posts on the subject.

If you have any questions regarding this, please DM me or another mod. I don't want the topic to be derailed any further, thanks.

• Global Moderator

Lot of Sony business news today. Zhuge has a few tweets so may be worth checking out more details

• This post is deleted!

• The Open Beta for Nioh 2 starts this November 1st. Pretty excited to try it out, even while I'm still feeling down on Souls style games right now.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/10/30/nioh-2-hits-ps4-march-2020-open-beta-starts-november-1/

• @thedemonpirate thats a bad time alot of shit coming out then