That's News!

• @ib0show Oh ya sorry, meant to respond about that.

I honestly don't know. We've discussed rumours in here but they've always been relatively concrete or from a pretty solid source. I feel like those kind of stories are still appropriate here.

If it's a case of just a inconsistent poster somewhere else mentioning something or an unreliable source, than maybe we can have like an "Out there Rumours" type topic.

I personally think this is fine for news and big (relatively) reliable rumours but I'm totally open to it if people want.

And of course, people can make individual topics on stories or rumours anyway, probably just worth putting a '{Rumour}' at the beginning.

• They lock content behind amiibo in the New Leaf update, Happy Home Designer, and of course Amiibo Festival. So no, unless they make it like Mario Odyssey you won't be able to get everything in the eventual Switch Animal Crossing in one $60 purchase.

• @JamboHyland95 I really would wait for more info until I jump to conclusions, I highly doubt the game will be unplayable unless you pay. Again, if you look at Fire Emblem Heroes, the monetization was rather generous compared to other mobile games of its kind.

It's easy to paint the game in a bad light by throwing prices around like that, but just because you need $12.50 worth of tickets to buy a character doesn't mean you can't also get them for free. The game may very well give you those tickets for free when you start up, or for completing missions, or whatever.

So let's wait and see, I'm pretty sure the game will be enjoyable without spending anything.

• @Axel yeah that's true, I'm hoping there's some way of Sharing between friends or something to help mitigate these things these forums would be great for that, and if I can still do most things without tickets or money that's fine too.

• I'm not particularly worried about micro transactions tainting the main games of any series. Nintendo hasn't jumped on that ship yet and micro transactions have been prominent enough for long enough that I think if we were going to see Nintendo start using them we would have seen them by now. I have no doubt that they'll continue their own version of post purchase revenue through separate versions and DLC but we're all used to that. Maybe one day if times really change we'll see micro transactions in Nintendo games but I think right now we don't have to worry.

In other news Fire Emblem Warriors is out and most people don't think that its trash, hooray!
    http://opencritic.com/game/4950/fire-emblem-warriors

• Co.Design - Exclusive: Microsoft Has Stopped Manufacturing The Kinect

Manufacturing of the Kinect has shut down. Originally created for the Xbox 360, Microsoft’s watershed depth camera and voice recognition microphone sold ~35 million units since its debut in 2010, but Microsoft will no longer produce it when retailers sell off their existing stock.

Writing has been on the wall for years now. I'm still sure MS will mess around with the technology, but it'll probably be apart of whatever their next big push into AR/VR is.

• It's like one of those news stories about some old celebrity passing away where my first thought is less "oh no" and more "I honestly thought they were already dead."

• Where was Cirque du Soleil when they needed them?

And, in case you haven't noticed, Nintendo already has microtransactions in all of their big games. They're just called amiibo and not available digitally. Still hold content behind paywalls though.

• @Haru17 It's a pretty generalized statement to associate buying an amiibo with microtransactions. Buying a chest in Shadow of War isn't going to get you a skin in Overwatch, and it's not going to give you a cool little figure to put on your shelf.

And I've never seen Nintendo lock something behind an amiibo that was essential to the game. Or pop up a window saying, "Only 72 hours left on this amiibo special!"

• @Inflorescence said in That's News!:

@Haru17 It's a pretty generalized statement to associate buying an amiibo with microtransactions. Buying a chest in Shadow of War isn't going to get you a skin in Overwatch, and it's not going to give you a cool little figure to put on your shelf.

And I've never seen Nintendo lock something behind an amiibo that was essential to the game. Or pop up a window saying, "Only 72 hours left on this amiibo special!"

I've got a couple of Inklings and I haven't even got a Nintendo system.

• @Inflorescence said in That's News!:

And I've never seen Nintendo lock something behind an amiibo that was essential to the game.

Y'know what, neither does Hearthstone. You can still play a 30-card basic class deck and grind through the losses. However Nintendo's time-worn get out of jail free card (which I used to fully support back during the Gamecube and Wii days) doesn't extend to microtransactions and piecemeal DLC.

Regardless of how many apologists there are, they're doing it too.

• @michemagius While I agree that paid DLC and Amiibo seem to be the way Nintendo decides to handle these things, some of the Fire Emblem DLC I don't see any differently than microtransactions. Echoes had so much DLC that buying it all, even bundled together, costed more than the entire game. Some of this DLC included extra dungeons, additional character class advancements, and so on for typical "cheap enough" prices to buy in on just the stuff you want. These might have been developed after the game came out, but they still feel like microtransactioned cut content.

@Inflorescence Maybe not essential to the game, but for Splatoon 1 there were fun challenges locked behind the Amiibo. For Splatoon 2 a pretty neat photo mode is completely locked behind owning one of the Amiibo to take photos with. It's always that balance between them offering something cool in a game but not too cool that people feel like out if they don't have the Amiibo, and honestly the only game I've seen do it well was Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker.

• @Mbun I can see what you mean, I just don't consider extra dungeons and stuff cut content. It would be one thing if I felt Echoes was too short on its own or if I felt the added dungeons were clearly meant to be a part of the original game, but I just see them as extras. I might not be as concerned just because I rarely feel pressured to buy DLC or Amiibo stuff. In fact I don't have any Amiibo and don't really plan to get any. The only times I've gotten DLC are for games I played online like Mario Kart 8 or for nostalgia's sake like with Persona 5. I love Fire Emblem and maybe one day if I feel like I've gotten everything I wanted to get out of the FE game I was playing I'd buy some of the DLC, but for right now I'm just satisfied to replay the main campaign and test new pair ups. But I agree that the DLC shouldn't out price the game itself unless its a truly mountainous amount of content.

• Gut check: Will Mario Odyssey get DLC or a Season Pass?

• I 100% expect Mario to get DLC in the form of a new kingdom or two for $20. I don't have a problem with that at all if it's good enough.

• @Tregard DLC yes definitely. Wouldn't we have already heard about a season pass?

• Why would Nintendo ever be upfront about a season pass again? They announced Zelda's ahead of release and people exploded with puerile rage to defend their nostalgia from the present day, but when they quietly let players discover the amiibo's exclusive armor and weapons there was not one peep of complaint.

• Some smaller things I guess.

Kotaku - Sources: Amazon's Breakaway Is Basically Cancelled

Amazon Game Studios’ hero sports brawler Breakaway is essentially canceled but may reemerge in some form later, two people familiar with plans for the game tell Kotaku.
    No layoffs are planned at the moment for the internet shipping giant’s gaming arm, but the game is on “indefinite hiatus,” a source said.

PC Gamer -GeForce GTX 1070 Ti officially coming November 2

Today, Nvidia officially reveled the specs and pricing for its upcoming GTX 1070 Ti graphics card. As we discussed earlier, the card is a beefed-up alternative to the GTX 1070 that ends up landing very close to GTX 1080... All we have right now is pre-order Founders Edition pricing, which is $449, so $50 less than the GTX 1080.

Latter story is a little more interesting as I plan on building soon but still seems like going for the 1080 is a better option if you have that disposable income.

• Yakuza 6 website is up with some story synopsis and characters. Not sure what's already known and what's a spoiler since I haven't played 5 yet. So, view at your own risk.

Yakuza.sega.com

• Metal Gear Survive to require online connection for everything