That's News!

• Very absurd thinking.

• I can kinda see the reason, hell by the time I got my PS3 I spent 20-30 minutes just trying to find a name that wasn't already taken or had some absurdly long configuration of numbers at the end

• @dmcmaster said in That's News!:

Remember how I mentioned that Nintendo leak.
    I present the Mario 64 source port
    Youtube Video

Where does one download this? All I'm finding are news articles about it. Even Reddit is saying not to provide download links, so what's the point?

• @ezekiel
    Don't know, and I assume it's to help mitigate the eventual wrath of Nintendo's lawyers .

Now care to join me in a belt of scotch
    Youtube Video

• This post is deleted!

• @dmcmaster

12-digit code is more complicated than names.

• @scotty And this doesn't conflict with the "Simple" and "Comfortable" principles.

0_1588644356642_923511f8-14d9-43d6-a4ba-2ce1e1358019-image.png

• @shoulderguy

If you think this isn't simple and comfortable, you must be nuts(!)

• This post is deleted!

• Global Moderator

Mod Note - @El-Shmiablo post deleted, stop with the baiting.

• Good god Nintendo never fails to blow my mind in how absolutely out to lunch they were in their early days of online networking.

It’s like they were taking an exam with the textbook wide open, teacher out of the classroom and the two smartest kids in the class to copy from sitting right next to them, and they did managed to get a ‘D-‘

• (NOTE: I am Japanese and like to think I have a pretty good grasp of Japanese work culture/philosophy, so keep that in mind before you jump at me for this. I'm aware there are some generalizations here, but I think there's still some insight to be had from this)

I'm no fan of Friend Codes, but I think a lot of this stems from the fact that Nintendo is probably the least global video game publisher/console manufacturer, and by extension is the most Japanese in terms of overall design philosophy and implementation. By relying on randomized 12-digit alphanumerics, they created a system that is objectively fair (their "comfortable" principle) while still being a relatively straightforward and comprehensible solution (not being easy to memorize and share doesn't necessarily mean friend codes aren't "simple"). Not saying it's the system I would've gone with or preferred, but it is an extremely Japanese approach to the problem. People tend to have the wrong view about Japan when it comes to technology - for all the insane strides that they've made in terms of robotics and computing, Japan is remarkably outdated when it comes to general technology for use in daily lives and in the work place. It's the kind of place where you'll probably have to fax someone to get a physical stamped approval from several officers to get the parts you need to build the next supercomputer. More companies are finally realizing that digitally organizing their files and storing them in the cloud is a necessity (I mean transitioning from stacks and stacks of papers to a semi-workable excel spreadsheet in some cases). All of which is to say that oftentimes the most efficient solutions are issued in favor of the more consistent and workable solutions, especially if those solutions have a historical basis within the company or similar companies (an issue compounded by companies with lifetime employment, which I don't think is the case at Nintendo). Add on top of that they fact that Japanese internet infrastructure is extremely spotty and subject to hacks, leaks, and datamines, and you can sort of understand the appeal of an admittedly inefficient but ultimately more secure and democratic system relying on random numbers and characters.

TL;DR Friend Codes suck, but it's not as cut and dry as a lot of people are making it

• This post is deleted!

• @naltmank said in That's News!:

Japan is remarkably outdated when it comes to general technology for use in daily lives and in the work place

My friends who work in Japan told me a month or so ago that they were allowed to "work from home" but only if they went in to the office to check the faxes a couple times a day. And one of them was only allowed to work from home after he'd completed a 2 month long project that he'd promised to do shortly before the company told them to stay home, so he gets to go archive and file physical data at his office all day while working "from home".

I think just recently someone in the Tokyo govt had the bright idea of allowing an alternative for Hanko (individual official stamps) on paperwork. So that seems to be progressing slightly, at a very slow pace. The alternative is probably gonna be some sort of 12 digit code or something. :)

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• @TokyoSlim dude Hanko need to burn. We've been using mine for the last year or so for all official family business, since there's like 10 in the house and it was the simplest/most straightforward way to deal with all the hospital paperwork we've had to go through. Cut to three months later, and a single Hanko was wrong, since it needs to be the one tied to our Yuuchou account. The company knows which Hanko is the correct one, but they're not allowed to send it to us unless the person who set up the account goes to the original Yuuchou with adequate documentation. Even then, they might not show it to us, but either way the account was was set up by my grandpa, who's been dead for 15 years. Current solution? Send a representative to our house once a month and ask us to keep trying a different Hanko until we luck into the right one. At least they started letting me sign for my grandma now! She's 93 and can't hold a pen.

• @naltmank

Nothin like some good ol fashioned Japanese bureaucracy.

• New Trailer is up!
    So freaking excited!!!!!! <3 <3 <3

Youtube Video

• @naltmank

I appreciate the insight about Japan.

What I’m getting at about Nintendo being confused is this compounding slow stream of information that we’ve gotten over the last decade that shows they had no idea how to make online infrastructure for the Wii. Sure, PS3 was really weak at first too and had lasting issues they had to undo for a decade, but Nintendo network designers quite literally never even heard of Xbox Live or PlayStation Network when designing the Wii Network. I’m not even joking - never heard of it. You can look this stuff up.

And while I can understand your explanation of the Friend Code being ‘simple’ there are still so many head scratchers such as Nintendo ghosting Ubisoft (and other studios) while they tried to develop Assassin’s Creed IV for Wii U simply because Nintendo didn’t even know what the Wii U would end up being, how the network functioned, and when the Wii U would launch. Nintendo essentially decided to ghost developers and screw up their production pipelines all because they didn’t know how to do their online network. That would be like Sony providing a PS5 dev kit then never following up with final specs, access to PSN, or give a release date until well past when the game was scheduled to launch.

THAT sort of thing is what I mean by Nintendo being out to lunch back then. They could have just looked at 360, PS3 and in the case of Wii U, the PS4, XBO and got a base idea of how to release a console but they made weird and sometimes inconsiderate decisions instead. I somehow doubt there is a cultural explanation for the latter part there because that is just mere disorganization.

At least they seem to be well liked again and operate smoother but damn the more we learn about the mid-2000 to 2010s Nintendo...