That's News!

• How is G4 going to come back now that Cops is canceled? What will they even air?

• @mbun
    Btw Apparently Tommy Tallarico (Earthworm Jim OST, New Intelivision, Video Games Live) is in charge of it judging by his Facebook post.

Also I seriously hated all the cops, American ninja warrior, and 3rd show (don't remember what it was) consuming all the air time.

• I never had cable when G4 was on, and after seeing that Mega Man documentary that came with the Mega Man Anniversary Collection on Xbox, I always wanted to be able to watch more stuff like that. I assumed it was all video game stuff, so had no idea about Ninja Warrior or Cops, etc.

Maybe it'll be like a 24-hour Twitch program block with reviews, interviews, behind the scenes stuff? With more things going for streaming now, I couldn't imagine them on a television network, closest I would think is partnering with a streaming service like Hulu or Amazon.

• "GAMERS want two things: BEEFY MEN and SEXY WOMEN.

Why are our ratings plummeting?!"

• I know it had literally nothing to do with video games and was part of the channel's death spiral but I don't care Ninja Warrior was my shit in high school (shoutouts to Nagano)

outside of that I dunno I always really liked Icons. X-play was good white noise but I honestly only really watched it when mXc wasn't on after school. Cinematech was cool in its own way.

• @happygaming
    The cops stuff came towards the end.

In it's early years it was a great channel, it was the only place to watch high quality footage of various games, and later E3 when they showed everything live, hell I still remember when Halo 3 was announced during I think thier first year doing E3 live and it cut to a Mountain Dew or Gillet commercial like 20 seconds into it, or when FF13 was announced for 360 they had the camera so far away from the screen you could hardly see anything, and unless you were watching on a decent sized HD tv at the time it was like postage stamp sized.

Or in it's early years there were the commercial bumpers made by various developers, although I remember alot of them being from Psychonauts (which I thought were just channel mascots at the time)
    Youtube Video

Here's a pretty decent documentary on G4, since that will probably do more then I can say.
    Youtube Video

• @hanabi
    Cinema tech was one of my favorite things, especially it's too mini off shoots called Rising Sun, focusing on Japanese import games (and the occasional European exclusive) and Nocturnal Emissions which you can probably guess what it focused on.

X-play and Electric Playground were also great review shows, and added gave some personality to it's game reviews, something I remember IGN and Gamespots early reviews lacking (stare into camera, deadpan delivery)

• Ninja Warrior was my childhood yo. I named one of my dogs Naoki Iketani because he was my favorite. Shoutout to Octopus Man.

• @dmcmaster said in That's News!:

hell I still remember when Halo 3 was announced during I think thier first year doing E3 live and it cut to a Mountain Dew or Gillet commercial like 20 seconds into it

It was mandatory station identification. Here's the whole story behind it:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/adam-sessler-talks-about-why-g4-cut-to-commercials-in-the-middle-of-halo-3s-e3-2007-trailer.196569/

There's more tweets as the thread goes on...they tried to make it right later, but managed to dig a deeper hole. XD

• @dmcmaster said in That's News!:

So G4 tv is coming back for some reason.

The Pong game reminds of The Electric Playground's original intro:

Youtube Video

• In Canada, the G4 branding was owned by a different company and it was called G4 Tech TV and it never turned to nonsense. It was just a ton of Victor Lucas (Electric Playground, Reviews on the Run), X Play, Attack of the Show, and some tech tips show with some guy who futzed with computers. Then the weird stuff was pretty tame like Unbeatable Banzuke airing with subtitles. Then after commercials they’d have 30 second computer tips or video game tips.

Wholesome.

• @oscillator
    Considering Tommy Tallarico is in charge of the channel. I think it's safe to say Electric Playground is coming back

• @dmcmaster Electronic Playground never left, baby.

Youtube Video

• Oh shit, I was not aware

• Yeah I still watch Victor Lucas on YouTube pretty often. I also like his EP Live show where he does a show in front of a small live audience.

Scott from ROTR (mid-late 00s) has a podcast where he meets people who speak to how gaming has shaped or changed their lives. He was also on an episode of EP not too long ago.

• @dipset said:

In Canada, the G4 branding was owned by a different company and it was called G4 Tech TV and it never turned to nonsense. It was just a ton of Victor Lucas (Electric Playground, Reviews on the Run), X Play, Attack of the Show, and some tech tips show with some guy who futzed with computers.

Here in the States, G4 replaced Tech TV when it started. I always preferred Tech TV and felt like it offered an educational service needed at the time, akin to people learning about animals / the planet through Discovery or history through those associated channels, so even though it was hype being able to watch E3 on television and have some decent game dedicated shows like X Play, even when G4 was more or less decent, I always kind of resented it. Of course, now I figure now G4 popping up was due to Tech TV failing in the ratings department or such, which makes sense given how slow and technical some of their shows certainly were. Maybe an idea just too early for its time. I wonder if Digital Foundry or other tech leaders today were given the chance to run a similar educational network if it would go better.

• The next PS5 thing

• @tokyoslim release date and price confirmation plz.
    if they make it any more than $800 Australian though then i don't care and will wait for a price drop.

• sounds about right for price and release date announcement, if we are talking a release sometime in November it would be just about 3 months in advance any less than that would be pretty short notice.

• @tokyoslim said in That's News!:

release date and price confirmation plz.

says "no limits"