That's News!

• Maybe as a loose general rule, this topic could be reserved to industry-wide news (business practices, console/publisher/financial info, drama, etc.), and game-specific news should go in their own specific topics?

And as an aside, I'd personally appreciate if leaks/rumors were in a separate topic, since I'm one of those people who enjoy surprise announcements and consider everything a spoiler ;)

• @El-Shmiablo keep in mind that Xbox One X has literally only launched a week ago and that the PS4 Pro did also sell out when it launched.

so does basically every other console in existence including the Wii U when it launched that was selling out but then we all know what happened in the months following.

give it at least 2 or 3 months before saying the Xbox One X is "killing it" because while XB1X is selling well right that could easily change quickly in the following weeks.

• The Game Awards Nominees have been announced

I'm just happy they split up best score and sound design awards. That really bothered me the last year or 2.

And just looking at all the things nominated, boy, what a year. Some great games have missed out and it's tough to say they definitely should have been there just due to the quality.

• @tokeeffe9 my only wish is for ashly burch and andrea rene to win.

Plus zelda and mario doesn't sweep.

• @A7X458 I'd be shocked if Melina Juergens doesn't win best performance.

• Banned

@tokeeffe9 This. Hellblade was some amazing shit.

Also if Warframe doesn't win Best Ongoing Game, the entire award means nothing.

• @tokeeffe9 Also Allies are in Jury.
    But I do hope that as good as Mario and Zelda are, they don't swoop in all the awards.

• It's actually kind of a new thing for The Game Awards to face. It participated in Zelda Wii U's marketing, so then awarding it could be a conflict of interest.

• @Haru17 Not really. It's no different than an outlet advertising and reviewing a game. Those are seperate teams. The judges have nothing to do with the marketing of a game, that's for Keighley and his team to arrange.

• @tokeeffe9 I guess the separate teams thing helps with that, although it's not as simple as a publication both advertising and reviewing. The fact is The Game Awards showed 40% of Breath of the Wild's trailers and demos. Those are exclusives Nintendo 'gave' to them, so it's more comparable to a Game Informer cover or IGN First than typical gaming churnalism. The risk of bias is probably stronger in those cases though because they have full time writers who have an investment in seeing their publication do well because their jobs depend on it, whereas I assume TGA judges disband each year.

• @Haru17 I imagine so but the fact that the judges have nothing to do with organising the game awards should be enough to make it not a concern really.

• As much as everyone has been (rightfully) hassling EA, let's not forget they aren't the only ones shutting down developers/games.

https://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-marvel-heroes-1820475273

While the developer isn't dead (yet), the game they just recently ported to consoles is. Kinda a shame considering they were forced to shift development time to get everything running on consoles and then it gets canned anyway. It wasn't the best game ever but it was fun for some mindless killing.

• @SabotageTheTruth said:

let's not forget they aren't the only ones shutting down developers

People aren't upset at EA for having to sometimes shut down development teams. That happens everywhere. People are upset because EA absorbs successful studios, mismanages them to squeeze them dry for as much profit as they can, then tosses the studio aside after they've ruined them. They have a long storied history of doing this repeatedly.

• Banned

@Mbun After the whole thing with Slightly Mad thing (they made NFS Shift and went on to mame Project Cars), you kinda get a picture of how cannibalistic EA is.
    Lie to devs about support for future games, make them sign a contract saying they won't talk with other publishers, then go back on previous talks and steal top talent from studios before ultimately killing them off.
    Fortunately the CEO of SM cared enough about his studio to remortgage his house and pay his remaining staff long enough to put out a few smaller projects which kept them alive long enough to make Project Cars.

• @El-Shmiablo He also had to give his engine to EA as well so he sold the engine to a company he created that way EA can't get their hands on it because the studio didn't own it.

• @Mbun Wasn't saying that's the only reason people are upset with EA, just some other companies also have some shady business practices and aren't being put in the spotlight. Disney ain't great, especially in the video game landscape, but they seem to get a pass because... Disney.

• Battlefront 2 has been a complete mess. You can no longer buy the Crystals while they basically figure out what to do. Official response below.

BF2 - Pre Launch Update

We hear you loud and clear, so we’re turning off all in-game purchases. We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning. This means that the option to purchase crystals in the game is now offline, and all progression will be earned through gameplay. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game. We’ll share more details as we work through this.

• man for them to go that far I imagine the backlash has been far worse than what they predicted, hopefully it's been reflected in below average performance as well saleswise

• Banned

@bard91 Apparently it was so bad that Disney contacted them to prevent damaging the Star Wars brand.